Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-01 rubber door?

I've been thinking about buying a k-01 and have watched 2 video reviews, both mentioning the rubber door over the memory card and that it never really wants to go back into place and is a poor design like it wouldnt take much to break it. To those that own a k-01, does the rubber door fit right? One review noted it never really would and most of the time was "hanging" there. I think something like this would drive me nuts.

11-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well it is a flimsy thing, but you work with it and put it back in place properly once you got the hang out of it.
11-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found first up that it wouldn't sit right, then I worked out that it needs to be slipped from the back to front, rather than the press from the side way. I now haven't had any problems. I don't feel it is flimsy and seems to be made of fairly durable material.
11-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You'll learn to live with it eventually. The placement of the green button is a much bigger flaw, IMO (then again, the K-30 has a similar flaw with its live view button).

Pentax K-01 Camera Review - Review Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'll learn to live with it eventually. The placement of the green button is a much bigger flaw, IMO (then again, the K-30 has a similar flaw with its live view button).

I agree. Picking up the K30 after using my K-5 is confusing. Standards are to always a bad thing.
11-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #6

I agree with Ron. The door is flimsy and I find sometimes that it is open, but if you work with it and take your time closing it. It will stay closed. I highly recommend the K-01. It is a bargain at the current price.

Mike Mock
K-01

Last edited by mikemock; 11-02-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Add signature.
11-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Adam is absolutely right. The floppy protective door has hinges that seem vulnerable but the quality of the material is very high - and you might see them start cracking off in about 8 years. As for the fit, all but the most clumsiest of users will figure out that you slide it in from behind - not try to snap it in; yeah, an industrial engineer with an 80 IQ could have designed it better. But even if it broke off (haven't heard of anyone doing that yet), it does not expose the real, actual door to the SD card chamber! The flap is only extra protection - which reviews seem to never mention. The real door is quite solid!

As for the Green button - well that could have been designed better by an industrial engineer with a 75 IQ - Adam is right about that too (well, not the IQ part as he has to be civil to the Pentax gods). However, that major misstep is pretty easily worked out with some practice, Even one-handed I can slide the camera around so the rear faces the palm of my right hand while holding the camera hinged between thumb and pinky - then using the index finger to hit the smartly positioned Green button only three inches away. (Don't try this if you happen to be shooting a long, two pound 1970s MF 100-300 f/4 unless you happen to have the lens mounted to a monopod).

Bottom line - the physical novelties become part of the charm fairly quickly - not a real deterrent to good photography. You end up having to chuckle quite often, though, at the idea that good industrial design translates well to novice photographic design. It doesn't.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 11-04-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: clarified wording
11-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is very easy to use. After I read how it works, it just slides and fits into place, no problem. I actually think it is better than the design on some of my other cameras. I'm sure you could find other things to go after, but this is not major at all.
11-06-2012, 05:01 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I disliked the "rubber door" too...until I started carrying the camera around and using it. As long as you put it in place correctly, it doesn't come loose. Actually, every time I try to dislike the K-01 I then go use it and love it again. Ignore the looks, ignore the rubber, ignore the opinions of others and just use the darn thing and low-and-behold it's great!

Spent last weekend carrying it unprotected in a sports dufflebag with assorted gear...pulling it out every hour or so to video sports events, and shoot a few stills too, then shoving it back into the duffle with lens still on and no protection. Bagged it around like this for a couple days at a national sports event in Iowa (yeah, wrestling--it was Iowa) and the rubber door never came open.

Today, I had to shoot a bunch of product photos for an advertisement due tomorrow...no problems with the door or anything else and fabulous photos...really nice white balance in weird mixed lighting here at the science center where I work.

Don't overthink this...now that it's priced like a point and shoot yet takes publication quality photos--GO BUY ONE!
11-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The rubber door doesn't snap on like it might on a K-5, but it isn't a problem, either. The SD card itself has another plastic hatch beneath the rubber. I think people mention that because it is different, but in actual use its not a source of problems at all. Honestly, most of the things reviewers mention about this camera as a negative are not really that bad at all, just different and therefore scary to some people.
11-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #11

slide in don't push, you soon get the hang of it - from some reviews you would think it was impossible!