Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Well, I will admit, it is a very very sharp picture.

But for a picture such as this, it tells me more about the sensor's capability and focusing accuracy of DA*300 and K-01 while it tells me nothing about one's skill as a photographer. There is plenty of sunlight too, where one can shoot something like this with rather high shutter speed and wide open aperture. Unfortunately, it tells me nothing about how difficult (or easy) it is to frame a pic with no viewfinder, (or with LCD alone), in that you can sit there and say this was exactly how you wanted to frame it, to the last millimeter, in that the very tip of the fox tail is ever so slightly clipped on purpose just the way you wanted it, and I have absolutely no way of disputing it, because you are the only one that knows.

On the other hand, if you showed me a picture of a flying bird in not so favorable conditions in terms of lighting . . .
You're quite right. I do agree composing with no viewfinder is definitely a challenge and there will always be situations where it may be favorable to have a camera with a viewfinder as in shooting a flying bird in low light. The trick is to know which camera is easier in delivering more keepers. To me the K-01 and most mirrorless cameras work better with wide to short tele lenses that are not heavy or bulky simply because as it gets more difficult to shoot at high magnification or narrow DOF when you have to hold it away from the face and happen to have shaky hands. That aside, the K-01 offers great value with a sensor that gives K-5 like image quality at a low price point.

11-08-2012, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another challenging shot... handheld macro with the K-01 and DA 35mm Macro. Even at f/8, there's insufficient DOF to get all the bees in focus. Tricky because the lighting was pretty low, compounded with shaky hands trying to compose, not wanting to slip and impale myself on thorny spikes from the palm tree and the buzzing bees. This was before the recent firmware upgrade, so AF was pretty hit and miss. Anyway the K-01's sensor and SR was good enough to record an acceptable image.

11-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Oops, just had a quarter page image published today in the local entertainment guide that was shot with that lame 12 bit processor in my K-01. Better not tell the photo editors!

Last week I carried several spare batteries on an extended trip with lots of video time on the K-01...never used up the first battery...must be some kind of flawed battery or something since video and standby keep the viewing screen lit up the whole time?

Sorry for the sarcasm. Love my K-5 and like my K-01 very much...