Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #1

why the K-01 fails

here are my thoughts:
1. it is 12bit not 14bit
2. it consumes a lot of power since it doesn't have a viewfinder
3. most importantly there is no Mark Newson external flash (the same stands for Q)

Else you can have a point and shot.

11-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
....but now you get prosumer IQ at consumer pricing, which is a pretty compelling deal!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone really think 12 bit is a big issue? The quality of the images from this camera are stunning.
I agree the power consumption is an issue, but a spare battery is no great imposition.
I don't understand your third point at all.

On the up side, the brick-like shape is actually very convenient for access in and out of a small camera case, and it is a wonderful mount for the limited pancakes.

Marketing fail maybe, but it's a pretty good camera, and exceptional value at the current price.
11-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
WMW

Value over price

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
{...} Marketing fail maybe, but it's a pretty good camera, and exceptional value at the current price.
Hi Sandy,

Admittedly, I rode the fence on getting a K-01. Original launch price was a factor; I already had a K-5 and some limited lenses along with the WR 18-135mm --so why bother? All the same, I wanted something more compact and without a mirror. I went with the Samsung NX series and am quite happy with the overall performance and IQ from that system. Dslr quality in a belt-bag portable camera at an affordable price seemed like the "way to go" for my style of photography at the time.

Last night, however, I pulled the trigger on a K-01 body. Since I'm familiar with the quality of the K-5 images, and given that the current price is more than competitive; the K-01 body cost less than a Samsung NX 20mm 'i-function' lens (on amazon) , it was an easy decision. Now, I can't wait to get the camera in hand (expected delivery is Nov. 6th) and slap my DA 21mm Limited on it and "go to town" as they say.

Provided that the IQ lives up to what I've seen here and on Flickr, I know that I can live with whatever quirks the K-01 has to offer. For my money, the feature set, sensor, and IQ of the K-01 are well worth the price of admission, especially at the current pricing. Had Pentax made this pricing available at the start, I'd never got invested in Samsung. Although I do like the form factor and handling of ooc jpegs from the NX series; Pentax has my heart despite the price gouging since Ricoh took over.

All that to write, I agree with you; value over price is what drew me to the Pentax K-5, and its what led me to the K-01.

All best,
Wayne

11-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Power consumption? Really? I have the K01 and I had the Kr and to tell you the truth the kr's "Power consumption" can't compare to the K01.
Also right now the K01's price cannot be beat... Adorama has this awesome K01 bundle for $447. K01 body + 40xs lens + 16gb memory card + spare battery + case and memcard case. With that said the k01 would be like what? $200? The IQ it can produce is stunning. It's like paying for a top end point and shoot.

But anyway, to me the K01 is a very strong camera, and it suits my needs. It's not a fail in my book. If I need something much more capable then I need to spend more $ to get it.
11-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
WMW

What could be more capable at this price point in APS-c? Nothing I know of, and trust me, I've examined all the major competitors.
11-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
here are my thoughts:
1. it is 12bit not 14bit
3. most importantly there is no Mark Newson external flash (the same stands for Q)

How long have you had your K-01? I've had mine for about a month now and I really like it. My only gripe is with the 40XS, not the K-01. Wish it had a better lenscap and/or a hood & cap.

11-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Power consumption? Really? I have the K01 and I had the Kr and to tell you the truth the kr's "Power consumption" can't compare to the K01.
+1 here, I can take more pictures with my K-01 than with my K-r, which surprised me at first since you are always in live view mode on the K-01.
11-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
Banned

here are my thoughts:
1. it is 12bit not 14bit

1. I don't think that consumers for mthis camera care about the 12-bit thing. Some off them will shoot jpg only.
  2. You can walk around with it for a good day and make a lot off images and video. The D-Li90 is better then any other mirrorless system offers.
  3. Wait a few weeks and I will surprise you with the most beautifull thing

I'm now on 14.394 images on my shuttercount and I can say that with some patience you can make one or two good images with it if you have the skills
11-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I'm now on 14.394 images on my shuttercount
Someone has bettered my shuttercount; mine is only just over 11k. Yet the first many hunder were testing literally every aspect of every camera function.
11-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Because the K-01 is a hybrid and the only mirrorless to use a legacy mount, it doesn't fit into existing categories, and so doesn't fit people's expectations. No, it can't replace a dSLR, and it's not as small the other MILCs, but it's smaller than the first, and it can support all the brand's lenses without an adapter. I guess the question is whether that was a niche that needed to be filled.

The launch price was a little high, for what should have been a successor to the K-x. Because the K-x offered good IQ and a lot of features for the price, it got a lot of people into Pentax (despite the "fatal" lack of viewfinder points and painfully slow LiveView focusing). The K-01 didn't have that success, although it sounds like the $350 price may bring in some new users (tho' it sounds like most will be Pentax shooters picking up an additional body).
11-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the K-01 is a fail priced at 700 dollars. At 350 for body only, it is what I would call "a steal." This has been beaten to death, but the K 01 just was not specified to be an SLR replacement, it was to be a move up camera for people who are satisfied with point and shoot cameras, but want better image quality.

What would I want? An EVF, fast fps with better buffer, weather sealing, for a start. HDMI output while shooting video. But the people who are looking at this camera couldn't care much about that stuff.
11-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #13

Original Poster
perhaps it is only me but how can you shoot whithout an external flash? or you expect me to use the bulky gfz-smthing ones with it?
11-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

perhaps it is only me but how can you shoot whithout an external flash? or you expect me to use the bulky gfz-smthing ones with it?
....what are you shooting...?

I have a k-x and haven't used the flash at all in my 30,000 shots.
11-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think the only fail is that Pentax didn't market it aggressively and that the potential customers got spooked by the design ("herpa derpa it dont look pro enough" "its color is too colorful i cant deal with that i must have it all black because that is how cameras must be its in the scriptures" "i need a camera to compensate, the K-01 isnt for me").
The battery life is pretty great, as most other K-01 users will tell you. The lack of a good flash system is a general Pentax problem, has nothing to do with the K-01. And the 12 bits is not a problem, considering you will eventually save the photos into 8 bit jpegs and look at them on 8 bit monitors. Instead of saying that it has "too few bits" please take a look at some samples of the K-01, you will be stunned. Is the K-01 the perfect camera? No. Can it be improved, in hardware and firmware? Sure. But considering how cheap it is, that it allows the use of K-mount lenses, that it has peaking, a durable battery, etc. its a great deal.