Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

The new price seems to good to pass up

And I already have the primes to use with it: 15,21,40,70; but have several questions
Do I really need the smaller 40? Since it is only $100 extra for the 40 with the body, will I regret no buying it?
How small is it...can you put it in a coat pocket? Since I have the K-r, would I be better off keeping the K-7 as the second body and buying the K-30 or K-5ii?
I know these are questions I must answer for myself but looking for those that own/use the K-01 for your advice
thanks in advance

11-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cannot help you as an owner but I know what I am trying to do. I have the da40 and will pass on the xs40 even if I could sell it for cost; I need to show both self and spouse my amazing restraint . First my GF2 and 17mm micro43 lens need to sell though!
11-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can put the K-01 and DA 40mm XS into most of my (northface, spider) ski jackets outer pojects.

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for the security cable at B&H
11-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can probably recoup the cost of the lens if you do no like it. I own the 40Ltd after having the 40XS (which was sent in error) for a brief time. I found I was underwhelmed by the build quality of the XS, but it is tiny and could easily go into a pocket. Also the 23mm attachments are a pain to find but the 40Ltd takes my standard attachments.

11-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The fact that the XS doesn't have quick shift is sort of annoying. Can't complain about its IQ considering that it's basically a $100 lens, though...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I dunno if the optical formula for these two lenses are the same or not, but there is something different about the output by these two, at least on prints. It is quite easy to tell, actually. I definitely prefer the ltd version. The clarity to me is vastly different. Perhaps the purity of the material differ considerably.
11-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The fact that the XS doesn't have quick shift is sort of annoying. Can't complain about its IQ considering that it's basically a $100 lens, though...
No, for $100 its a bargain. With my big hands getting it on and off with comfort was a challenge too. That all said, it is the IQ that matters after all is said and done.
11-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I can fit the K-01 in a jacket pocket with the 40XS, or even with an M 28 if it's something stretchy like a fleece jacket. The flatter grip and and lack of a flash housing sticking out make the K-01 fit in places that the K-x wouldn't.

One thing I like about the 40 XS is that when I break things down for travel, it takes about the same space as a body cap (which was going to be there anyhow). The 40 Limited is almost as flat, but not quite. The rubber cap does get knocked off - I've ordered some 27mm snap-on caps from ebay for about 60 cents apiece. We'll see if they do better.

11-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Forum Member

great price

I went for a Yellow one! if I am going to have an odd "ugly" camera it may as well be yellow. body only from amazon. (in stock) everyone else was sold out

I wasn't interested in the 40mm lens but I have a 35mm 2.8 ltd thats going on it

Ron W
Saint Paul, MN
11-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

If there were a choice between the Ltd and XS lenses, the Ltd would get the nod, not for IQ, but for build quality (a lens to last and a legacy to be passed on through the generations).
11-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If there were a choice between the Ltd and XS lenses, the Ltd would get the nod, not for IQ, but for build quality (a lens to last and a legacy to be passed on through the generations).
Easy to get hood... comes WITH a hood...

But if I were thin on the budget, I'd spring for the XS no problem.
11-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP already has the Ltd, so there probably isn't much point to having the XS as well. There wouldn't be much in the selling of the XS to warrant buying it for the purpose of selling it to make money.
11-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Ah, I misunderstood thinking he was selecting the primes to use.

Yeah, I don't see a point in buying it to try to sell either.
11-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Forum Member

lens

the lens I was refering to is a pentax- DA 35mm f2.8 LTD macro one of my favorites.

I think the K01 will really look Odd with my Sigma 8-16

11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I really did not like the XS, I found the bokeh on it to give me a headache and make me motion sick. But with this price drop I'm wondering if I should pick one up and store it away like some one off pair of sneakers. Unlike most I really like the handling and looks of the k-01, I shoot strictly manual focus. And I highly doubt pentax will make a K-02, I'm guessing they dropped the price to get customers into the system. I think people forget how rich ricoh is. If you think about it they didn't even bother making anything better than the GRD, they just went the route of sony and bought a whole camera company, they can make one off oddball products and not have it tap the budget. I have a yellow, now just a way to find a silver/black for a good price...