Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #1

Change of heart?

I am cross-posting this here. I need to replace a damaged K20 body. Its been a while since I looked at Pentax's lineup and I am a little overwhelmed by all the current choices. Although I initially swore off the K-01, I am having second thoughts.
Assuming I could learn to live with holding the camera for live view, the manual focus wiz bang gadget thingy looks pretty cool....any the liveview would solve my problem of having to remove my glasses everytime I shoot. At its current price, it seems like a steal---assuming the IQ is better than the K20D. It also looks a tad smaller and easier to carry around. I also like the low light capabilities.

Q: Other than the mirror and viewfinder, what would I be giving up if I went from the K20 to the K-01?

11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Other than the mirror and viewfinder, what would I be giving up if I went from the K20 to the K-01?
Any hope of being successful at action photography (due to the CDAF). Apart from that, the K-01 is an upgrade in just about every respect because it's so much newer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Q: Other than the mirror and viewfinder, what would I be giving up if I went from the K20 to the K-01?
The respect of your fellow photographers? Especially if you get a yellow one?

I really enjoy my K-01, but it's no substitute for a dSLR, especially if you are shooting sports, kids, or critters. For that, I'd go with the K-30 every time. All of the IQ and low light performance (and focus peaking!), plus a viewfinder, fast (for a Pentax) AF, and higher fps.

I did notice last weekend that even though I was using a dSLR, I was doing LiveView more and going for low angles, closeup shots, shooting one-handed, etc. This is what the K-01 does to you, apparently.
11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any hope of being successful at action photography (due to the CDAF). Apart from that, the K-01 is an upgrade in just about every respect because it's so much newer.
And Weather Resistance.

11-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think wait personally, the next offerings from Pentax imho will bring together more of the good stuff from all the new releases and a newer sensor, although it may take a few months and if you're current is damged then maybe you can't wait that long.
11-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Question: Does the k-01 take an wireless shutter remote?
11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Question: Does the k-01 take an wireless shutter remote?
Same one that all the current cameras do - including the Q.

The remote receiver is in the grip on the left.
11-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well...against my better judgment, I ordered a k-01 body. With $200 in discover cashback on amazon, I paid $160.00....which is below the "discussion" limit with the boss. I just could not pass up the chance to get the image quality close to the k-5 for $160....If I don't like it, I am not out that much. And, I can still replace/upgrade my K20 after year end (bonus pending) if need be.

I am hoping this will be a nice daily "through in my murse" (i mean satchel)/shoot while walking to lunch-type camera.

This was a weird purchase. I generally only purchase tried and true products; but the reported potential and price seemed to make me depart from my usual conservative buying habits.

11-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well...against my better judgment, I ordered a k-01 body. With $200 in discover cashback on amazon, I paid $160.00....which is below the "discussion" limit with the boss. I just could not pass up the chance to get the image quality close to the k-5 for $160....If I don't like it, I am not out that much. And, I can still replace/upgrade my K20 after year end (bonus pending) if need be.

I am hoping this will be a nice daily "through in my murse" (i mean satchel)/shoot while walking to lunch-type camera.

This was a weird purchase. I generally only purchase tried and true products; but the reported potential and price seemed to make me depart from my usual conservative buying habits.
Nice. It is clearly going to give you very high quality images, enjoy.