Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
pentaxian_tmb's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 283
Change of heart?

I am cross-posting this here. I need to replace a damaged K20 body. Its been a while since I looked at Pentax's lineup and I am a little overwhelmed by all the current choices. Although I initially swore off the K-01, I am having second thoughts.
Assuming I could learn to live with holding the camera for live view, the manual focus wiz bang gadget thingy looks pretty cool....any the liveview would solve my problem of having to remove my glasses everytime I shoot. At its current price, it seems like a steal---assuming the IQ is better than the K20D. It also looks a tad smaller and easier to carry around. I also like the low light capabilities.

Q: Other than the mirror and viewfinder, what would I be giving up if I went from the K20 to the K-01?

11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,140
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Other than the mirror and viewfinder, what would I be giving up if I went from the K20 to the K-01?
Any hope of being successful at action photography (due to the CDAF). Apart from that, the K-01 is an upgrade in just about every respect because it's so much newer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,486
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Q: Other than the mirror and viewfinder, what would I be giving up if I went from the K20 to the K-01?
The respect of your fellow photographers? Especially if you get a yellow one?

I really enjoy my K-01, but it's no substitute for a dSLR, especially if you are shooting sports, kids, or critters. For that, I'd go with the K-30 every time. All of the IQ and low light performance (and focus peaking!), plus a viewfinder, fast (for a Pentax) AF, and higher fps.

I did notice last weekend that even though I was using a dSLR, I was doing LiveView more and going for low angles, closeup shots, shooting one-handed, etc. This is what the K-01 does to you, apparently.
11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any hope of being successful at action photography (due to the CDAF). Apart from that, the K-01 is an upgrade in just about every respect because it's so much newer.
And Weather Resistance.

11-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Louicio's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 432
I think wait personally, the next offerings from Pentax imho will bring together more of the good stuff from all the new releases and a newer sensor, although it may take a few months and if you're current is damged then maybe you can't wait that long.
11-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
pentaxian_tmb's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 283
Original Poster
Question: Does the k-01 take an wireless shutter remote?
11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Question: Does the k-01 take an wireless shutter remote?
Same one that all the current cameras do - including the Q.


The remote receiver is in the grip on the left.
11-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
pentaxian_tmb's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 283
Original Poster
Well...against my better judgment, I ordered a k-01 body. With $200 in discover cashback on amazon, I paid $160.00....which is below the "discussion" limit with the boss. I just could not pass up the chance to get the image quality close to the k-5 for $160....If I don't like it, I am not out that much. And, I can still replace/upgrade my K20 after year end (bonus pending) if need be.

I am hoping this will be a nice daily "through in my murse" (i mean satchel)/shoot while walking to lunch-type camera.

This was a weird purchase. I generally only purchase tried and true products; but the reported potential and price seemed to make me depart from my usual conservative buying habits.

11-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Well...against my better judgment, I ordered a k-01 body. With $200 in discover cashback on amazon, I paid $160.00....which is below the "discussion" limit with the boss. I just could not pass up the chance to get the image quality close to the k-5 for $160....If I don't like it, I am not out that much. And, I can still replace/upgrade my K20 after year end (bonus pending) if need be.

I am hoping this will be a nice daily "through in my murse" (i mean satchel)/shoot while walking to lunch-type camera.

This was a weird purchase. I generally only purchase tried and true products; but the reported potential and price seemed to make me depart from my usual conservative buying habits.
Nice. It is clearly going to give you very high quality images, enjoy.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, k20, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change of mind? cali92rs Pentax K-5 2 10-27-2012 09:41 PM
Landscape Haven in the Heart of the City (Shanghai) Frogfish Post Your Photos! 4 04-02-2011 10:12 PM
Nature Heart of the Rose slowpez Post Your Photos! 4 05-11-2010 09:54 AM
Hawk Eating Crow (Not for the faint of heart) metroeloise Post Your Photos! 9 01-07-2009 04:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top