Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not my lucky day...

I think I'm the first person to experience this - hopefully, the only one. My little black brick is not feeling well.

I was out shooting with my K-01 yesterday, and after about the 30th shot, there was an extra "thunk", and the screen went dark. The display information is there, but the shutter curtain won't open (or is there a second curtain to protect the sensor?). If I set to manual focus, the shutter will fire and I can get an (unfocused, unmetered) image, but I can't LiveView, auto-focus, shoot video, or open for sensor cleaning. If I turn it off and on, it will open the curtain for a split-second and close it again. If I put the camera on B-for-Bulb mode, it will stay open as long as I hold the shutter down.

I've tried the usual - different modes, power off/on, take battery out for several hours, charge battery, remove/replace/swap memory card, reseat/change lenses, reset to factory settings. It didn't make a difference. I emailed Pentax, and they recommended sending it in. Before I do, does anyone have any other ideas to try?

The hard question is: do I get it shipped out ASAP, or do I stick the tele-wide finder on it with the M28 lens in hyperfocal and see if I can get some pictures this weekend, using the Sunny f/16 rule like a REAL photographer? (Well, since I can review pictures, I could always do trial-and-error, but that would be cheating!)

Also, if took a road trip this weekend, I'd be passing by a brick-and-mortar store that I KNOW has the yellow K-01 at the new price. Except that I wouldn't be able to get a 2-yr extended warranty, (because it's in Virginia), I'd be tempted to get a backup camera. You know, to back up my backup camera.

11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Also, if took a road trip this weekend, I'd be passing by a brick-and-mortar store that I KNOW has the yellow K-01 at the new price. Except that I wouldn't be able to get a 2-yr extended warranty, (because it's in Virginia), I'd be tempted to get a backup camera. You know, to back up my backup camera.
AFAIK, you can get the Pentax warranty regardless of where you actually bought the camera as long as it was in the US. You could buy it in Virginia, and buy the $19.95 warranty via Adorama or B&H up in New York, for example.

Unless Virginia has some sort of wacky anti-warranty laws I'm unaware of.
11-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My understanding is that Virginia (and Florida) have exactly those sort of wacky anti-warranty laws. The idea was to prevent unscrupulous vendors from selling people things they didn't need. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/201569-k01-warranty-question.html
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, I think the Pentax warranty applies to where you reside, not where you bought the camera. So for me, I live in VA, and any Pentax extended warranty wouldn't be honored, even if I bought the camera in another state.

11-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've seen threads that claimed either way, or any combination of ways: where the owner resides, where the camera sales receipt was issued, and/or where the warranty sale receipt was issued. Based on the "heads I win, tails you lose" principle, I don't have a good feeling.

Last edited by THoog; 11-09-2012 at 03:42 PM.