Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #16

Brown Santa set to deliver today......something to look forward to after work!

11-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #17
WMW

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
WMW, I have shot 2 K-01's ( white & yellow) with both firmwares. None have locked up. Have used approx 10 different lenses.
thanks
barondla
Thanks, barondla. My copy of the K-01 is being returned but I've already ordered a replacement. Hopefully the next unit will perform as expected. I really like the camera. I just didn't like the hassle of having to reseat the battery every time I turned it on!

All best,
Wayne
11-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #18
WMW

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Why would updating the firmware make it so you couldn't return it?
Good question. Perhaps updating the firmware would not void the return. Amazon didn't make it a stipulation. All the same, I wanted to keep the camera "as-is" in regards to the overall condition of the unit as I received it.

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
I tried the focus with my FA 50mm 1.4 before the upgrade and it was slow. Upgraded to the 1.01 formware and it is way better.
Thanks. Once I get a good copy of the K-01, I'll be sure to upgrade.

All best,
Wayne
11-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #19

Played around with my new toy yesterday with my FA 50mm 1.4 lens. Some initial impressions:
1. solidly built.
2. Grip is ok once you get used to it. I have a hard time holding it like a DSLR or p&S. I found the best grip (balance wise) for me is holding it like a game controller and using my thumb to actuate the shutter.
3. One or more buttons were misplaced. With my "controller" grip, the dial needs to be in the front. Alternatively, the green and red buttons should have been swapped.
4. The "rubber door" isn't as bad as some reviewers claim, although it does take a bit of practice to get used to the correct closing technique.
5. Onboard flash is better than expected.
6. Liveview isn't as bad as I thought it would be, although I haven't used it in the sun yet. I like the ability to shoot from my stomach.
7. Menu system is much more intuitive than that on my K20d. Camera is relatively easy to use.
8. The various "color modes" are welcome and fun...hopefully they will reduce my PP time.
9. Setting to B&W color mode and then using the "color swap" digital filer produces some nice faux-infrared photos.
10. Focus peaking is nice, so long as your subject/background is not white
11. My biggest complaint at this time...and it may be user error (either technique or incorrect settings), is that I am having quite a difficult time getting sharp images. Even with a higher iso, quick shutter, and stopped down lens, the images produced are never as sharp as what they look like in liveview...and definitely not as sharp as my K20. Same for color rendition....again this may just be a settings issue.
12. Using the neck strap as an "elbow" strap works much better. Might get a hand strap though
13. Not a fan of the autofocus, esp. in lower light...even with the firmware upgrade.

I am hoping that with a little more practice, I will be able to produce great images with this camera, as the IQ in the photos posted here is amazing. Right now, my captures all appear like those in the "pro" reviews...slightly out-of-focus and muted color. I am hopeful this is just a settings issue/user error. However, I have been shooting DSLRs for 10 years now and think I have a little more than a basic grasp on photographic technique (although I by no means claim to be a pro).

So, as of now, my initial impression is undecided/slightly disappointed. I hope this changes.

[edit] Also, for those bemoaning lack of a "TAV" mode, you can achieve the same thing by shooting in AV with auto ISO turned on.

Last edited by pentaxian_tmb; 11-15-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: more info
11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Played around with my new toy yesterday with my FA 50mm 1.4 lens. Some initial impressions:
1. solidly built.
2. Grip is ok once you get used to it. I have a hard time holding it like a DSLR or p&S. I found the best grip (balance wise) for me is holding it like a game controller and using my thumb to actuate the shutter.
3. One or more buttons were misplaced. With my "controller" grip, the dial needs to be in the front. Alternatively, the green and red buttons should have been swapped.
4. The "rubber door" isn't as bad as some reviewers claim, although it does take a bit of practice to get used to the correct closing technique.
5. Onboard flash is better than expected.
6. Liveview isn't as bad as I thought it would be, although I haven't used it in the sun yet. I like the ability to shoot from my stomach.
7. Menu system is much more intuitive than that on my K20d. Camera is relatively easy to use.
8. The various "color modes" are welcome and fun...hopefully they will reduce my PP time.
9. Setting to B&W color mode and then using the "color swap" digital filer produces some nice faux-infrared photos.
10. Focus peaking is nice, so long as your subject/background is not white
11. My biggest complaint at this time...and it may be user error (either technique or incorrect settings), is that I am having quite a difficult time getting sharp images. Even with a higher iso, quick shutter, and stopped down lens, the images produced are never as sharp as what they look like in liveview...and definitely not as sharp as my K20. Same for color rendition....again this may just be a settings issue.
12. Using the neck strap as an "elbow" strap works much better. Might get a hand strap though
13. Not a fan of the autofocus, esp. in lower light...even with the firmware upgrade.

I am hoping that with a little more practice, I will be able to produce great images with this camera, as the IQ in the photos posted here is amazing. Right now, my captures all appear like those in the "pro" reviews...slightly out-of-focus and muted color. I am hopeful this is just a settings issue/user error. However, I have been shooting DSLRs for 10 years now and think I have a little more than a basic grasp on photographic technique (although I by no means claim to be a pro).

So, as of now, my initial impression is undecided/slightly disappointed. I hope this changes.

[edit] Also, for those bemoaning lack of a "TAV" mode, you can achieve the same thing by shooting in AV with auto ISO turned on.
Sounds like you are getting the hang of the Brick. I use the thumb-on-shutter grip a lot (I call it 'gangsta grip') for portrait orientation or when I'm leaning down to shoot something knee-high. With TAv mode and M42 lenses (or M lenses with a bit of tape to make them appear to be M42 lenses), the K-01 will give you a useable ISO and shutter speed, so the green button location is not as much a problem for me as it was at first. I've got the red button set to turn focus peaking on and off, and it's come to feel "right".

Re: Sharpness, make sure it's not doing something sneaky and holding the lens wide open (but you probably know that). I've noticed a side effect of focus peaking is that when I chimp the shot, it doesn't have the white edges and my eyes think it is soft, but after transfer to the computer it turns out fine. Using the OK button to zoom in while peaking can give you a better handle on focus.
11-15-2012, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #21

Modifying my inital assessment.....I like it...alot....My first test day was with a manual focus lens, and I still need to work on focus technique apparrently.

Put on my FA 1:2 35mm today and got some good results.

You know you are a camera geek when you test out your new camera on one of your old ones:

Oddly, the K100D Super is lighter than The Brick.

I got yelled at by She WHo Must Be Obeyed for "playing with my toy" during dinner

En vino veritas

Still learning the ins and outs of this....but I think I may have found a new pal.

11-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks good! So glad I ordered white. Just hope it actually gets sent to me instead of cancelled two weeks later.
11-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Just got mine, did a super basic setup, and walked outside to shoot some JPGs, without updating the firmware or anything. So far, I could hardly be any more pleased! The camera is less wonky, more compact, and much easier to use than I was prepared for. And did I mention that it is waaaay FUN?? The DA40XS lens, I suspect, will remain glued to this camera. Here are a couple of random leaf shots using the "HDR" function on the dial. There was plenty of light, but it was breezy. The automatic composition correction is very impressive to me, as this stuff had to move around a bunch during the three frame exposures. Somehow the little quirks like the odd power switch and green button position seem insignificant when compared to the fun factor right now.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
11-17-2012, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #24

More test shots....none "serious"....all handheld post 3 cocktails. No real PP either.

11-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks good! Especially when considering the lack of PP.
11-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Piggyback alert - my 1st impressions now at my blog.
Entering the Mind Drive: a week with the white brick