Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Sigma EF-500 Flash with K-01

I received my K-01 yesterday and I am generally happy with it. My biggest disappointment with the camera is my Sigma EF-500 DG Super external flash does not seem to work with it. When I have it on the camera it will only flash some of the time and when it does flash it is not exposed properly. Plus, the pictures will not save to the memory card; it gives an error. Are other people getting similar errors? If so, can someone explain why this flash would not work with the K-01, but does with a K10D, K-7, and (I believe) K-5? Has Pentax changed something? I appreciate the help.

11-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the problem is not with the flash, but with the camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by wenz Quote
Plus, the pictures will not save to the memory card; it gives an error.
Does it save properly without the flash? If not, then the problem maker is the camera.
11-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you updgraded the firmware to 1.01? Not sure if it will help the flash issue or not, but the firmware does fix compatibility with some SD cards.
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
I think the problem is not with the flash, but with the camera.

Does it save properly without the flash? If not, then the problem maker is the camera.
I did not get the error until I tried using the flash, but I now get the error pretty regularly. I have tried formatting the SD card a couple times and still get the error. I never have had a problem with that card in another camera. Currently, I am trying a different card now to see if I have the same problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Have you updgraded the firmware to 1.01? Not sure if it will help the flash issue or not, but the firmware does fix compatibility with some SD cards.
I have updated to 1.01.

11-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just spoke with Sigma customer support. The support person said that none of the Sigma flashes are compatible with the mirriorless cameras because those cameras meter differently. He said the flash should be able to be used in manual mode. I will try that is see how it goes.
11-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried the Sigma flash in manual mode with the K-01 and it works. I am still learning what power levels to use (its seems 1/64 or 1/32 produces good results inside with the flash bounced). Still, it is disappointing that the flash does not work in TTL mode.

It looks like the not saving the picture to the card was a separate issue since I have not gotten the error after changing cards.