Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Viewfinder

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone know if pentax have any future intentions of making a viewfider for the k 01, just an accessory that can be put on to the hotshoe?

Im no expert but how much would it cost, time and money, to make a viewfinder that could be easily attached and removed, and had the same view as the LCD screen?

Just so one could use manual and autofocus lenses from the comfort of a viewfinder.

Iv seen a few subsitutes but nothing amazing

any info appreciated

11-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No plans have been revealed that I have heard of. The O-GPS1 shows they have the capability of passing data through the hot shoe pins, but I can't imagine anything inexpensive going there to use as a virtual VF. It's a nice thought certainly, but I definitely will not place any hopes on it.
11-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Unless they have already provided for it in the hardware I think the only possibility is to feed it with a short cable from the video out socket. The bandwidth needed for a video signal is far higher than the few kbps needed to convey the flash and GPS communication.

It could probably get power from the hotshoe thereby avoiding the need for a separate battery for it but I'm not so sure about that either as for the O-GPS1 they
used a separate battery in the unit rather than take power from the camera.

There are some third party viewfinders that would work as all you need is for it to have a standard video input and that it is hot shoe mountable.
11-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They said at CP+ that there were no plans of an EVF. So far, it even looks like there are no plans of continuing making mirrorless k-mount cameras, but who knows!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2012, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
you said no plans of continuing making mirrorless k-mount cameras, i stumbled across this

Let’s dream: Pentax 24 Megapixel Full Frame camera coming in march 2013? | Mirrorless Rumors

does that mean this was only a rumour?
It would be different
11-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cookiies Quote
you said no plans of continuing making mirrorless k-mount cameras, i stumbled across this

Let’s dream: Pentax 24 Megapixel Full Frame camera coming in march 2013? | Mirrorless Rumors

does that mean this was only a rumour?
It would be different
I love it when my baby comes flying home to daddy
11-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Is there any reason one can't use the optical viewfinders designed for rangefinder cameras? Obviously up-close parallax would bite you, but for more distant subjects...is there some thing I'm missing that would make this a no-go?

Obviously you get absolutely no electronic feedback, but for simply framing your photo (and then trusting your autofocus - which if you typically use your center focus point shouldn't be impossible), it would be a solution available to users right away, for the most common lens lengths.

11-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
Is there any reason one can't use the optical viewfinders designed for rangefinder cameras? Obviously up-close parallax would bite you, but for more distant subjects...is there some thing I'm missing that would make this a no-go?

Obviously you get absolutely no electronic feedback, but for simply framing your photo (and then trusting your autofocus - which if you typically use your center focus point shouldn't be impossible), it would be a solution available to users right away, for the most common lens lengths.
That was discussed here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/203336-tele-wide-optical-viewfinder.html

But seriously, unless you are shooting in desert or snow conditions, the LCD works just fine.
11-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That was discussed here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/203336-tele-wide-optical-viewfinder.html

But seriously, unless you are shooting in desert or snow conditions, the LCD works just fine.
And if you shoot a scene with the sun shining bright behind you ... can't see a thing in that monitor. Just did that this morning and really, I could NOT see what was on the monitor.

I am all go for a viewfinder and certainly will soon get one for the Q.

JP

Edit: sorry, I just saw that this was a thread for the K-01 but I am sure it applies to the Q as well.
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been wanting to pick up the ikodot for K-01 and my voigts, I think it would be perfect for zone focusing with my 20 and 40. Only thing holding me back is school semester is starting and gotta be wise with the cash and I havent had any troubles yet with the screen...
11-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That was discussed here:

Ah! Thank you, I could have sworn I'd seen a thread like this for the Q or the K-01 at some point around here

We'll, I'll be another guinea pig - I've ordered a rangefinder-intended optical viewfinder roughly equivilant to the with of lens I've got coming along with my K-01, so I'll be sure to report on how that works I don't have any objection to liveview on a philosophical level, and I'm in Seattle, so sun isn't much of a problem here! But I do have a preference to work with as little mediation between me and the subject as possible, so if optical viewfinders turn out to be really workable, I'll have a small collection of them
11-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OVFs like the Tele-Wide can be had cheaply and don't take up a lot of space in the kit bag, so I think they are a useful backup plan. With a little practice, you can get a feel for how various focal lengths match up to the markings in the OVF.

I've had numerous occasions with my dSLRs (K-x, etc.) where the sun was at just the wrong angle, rendering the regular viewfinder useless, but I worked through it, and no one complains because Pentax didn't provide a bag to put over your head for those times. I honestly think it's the "different" factor that drives the discussion more than the actual problem.

I'm still shopping for one of the KMZ 'turret'-type finders, more than anything else because I think they look cool. Apparently, the average price is exactly one dollar more than my top bid, whatever that may be (friggin' snipers...)
11-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm still shopping for one of the KMZ 'turret'-type finders, more than anything else because I think they look cool. Apparently, the average price is exactly one dollar more than my top bid, whatever that may be (friggin' snipers...)
LOL! The turret ones are pretty wild looking. My favorites though are the old frame finders, with no glass at all. Kodak did one called Retina, and Leica did one called Rosol. Multiple frame widths, parallax correction, completely collapsible - what's not to like?

Leica Rosol:
11-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
LOL! The turret ones are pretty wild looking. My favorites though are the old frame finders, with no glass at all. Kodak did one called Retina, and Leica did one called Rosol. Multiple frame widths, parallax correction, completely collapsible - what's not to like?
I dunno... that much metal on top of the camera - is there a risk of lightning strike? I do like the simplicity of the frame/sport finders, and the "old-school" aspect of all the add-on finders.
11-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hopefully a cap, turned backwards with the bill in front will help me find my view when my 01 arrives next week.