Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K-01 Now or Wait for K-5 IIs or K-30?

As you can see in my signature, I have a pretty decent Pentax kit. I have the K-5, the Q and a good set of K-mount lenses. I recently gifted my K200D (in great shape) to my niece along with the DA 18-55 WR, the 55-200 WR and DA 35 f/2.4 lenses. My plan was to save for the K-30 but that may be changed to the K-5 IIs. But either purchase (which would be in addition to my current K-5) would be at least six months away. I have no problem waiting, as the K-5 works fine. But the current price of the K-01 just keeps haunting me. The part of me that's always looking for a good deal keeps nagging me to pick one up before they are gone. There's no doubt the going rate is a steal but I'm still hung up by the lack of any viewfinder. Clearly I don't absolutely need the K-01 right now but it might be great to maintain a second K-mount camera body, especially since I have a slew of DA Limiteds that I can use on it. So I'm only going to ask my fellow Pentaxians this question once: Go for the K-01 now because it's just too good a deal on a K-mount body or just wait for the K-5 IIs or K-30? And is the rear LCD really that much of an issue in daylight?

11-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
As you can see in my signature, I have a pretty decent Pentax kit. I have the K-5, the Q and a good set of K-mount lenses. I recently gifted my K200D (in great shape) to my niece along with the DA 18-55 WR, the 55-200 WR and DA 35 f/2.4 lenses. My plan was to save for the K-30 but that may be changed to the K-5 IIs. But either purchase (which would be in addition to my current K-5) would be at least six months away. I have no problem waiting, as the K-5 works fine. But the current price of the K-01 just keeps haunting me. The part of me that's always looking for a good deal keeps nagging me to pick one up before they are gone. There's no doubt the going rate is a steal but I'm still hung up by the lack of any viewfinder. Clearly I don't absolutely need the K-01 right now but it might be great to maintain a second K-mount camera body, especially since I have a slew of DA Limiteds that I can use on it. So I'm only going to ask my fellow Pentaxians this question once: Go for the K-01 now because it's just too good a deal on a K-mount body or just wait for the K-5 IIs or K-30? And is the rear LCD really that much of an issue in daylight?
Funny, I am in the same boat... although if the k-01 deal is also available in Canada, I would have jumped on it. I am also struggling with whether I should get a Q instead.
11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would keep your K-5 rather than getting a K-5 IIs, and use the extra cash to pick up a K-01 (if you care for video). If you don't really care for video, I'd wait until Pentax maybe release a true successor to the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't find the LCD to be that much of an issue in daylight. Sure, in bright sunlight, at some angles, it can be a tricky to compose, but bright sunlight at some angles can make it nigh-impossible to see though an optical viewfinder as well. I think it comes down to your tolerance for "different". Being forced to basically use LiveView all the time makes me shoot from different angles and heights from "the usual", and I find that refreshing. When I switch back to a dSLR, I find myself LiveViewing 'way more than I did before I got a K-01.

11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would keep your K-5 rather than getting a K-5 IIs, and use the extra cash to pick up a K-01 (if you care for video).
I'll second that one. I'm also wondering if there's ever been a ballpark stat as to how many K-5's (the phased out ones) have been effected by sensor burn?
11-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #6

First thing is to ask yourself, do you really need a second body? The K-01 can really complement a K-5 (or the K-30 in my case) in term of use and size. With a nice limited it can be more pocketable (In my case, my wife's purse) and the type of camera you can take for all events, not when you just go out to shoot photos (which was my case with the K-r and later the K-30). Focus Peaking is also great for MF fun, and the lack of viewfinder didn't bother me so much (and I live in a place with a lot of sun), and it was also less intimidating when I hand the camera to someone else to take a picture. OVF is something strange for most folks nowadays.

Also the K-01 can take great pictures. The sensor is good and while the AF can leave you hanging at night, Focus Peaking saves the day. MF can be very fast with it.
I love my K-01 + my 21mm. Great shots, multi purpose focal length and I don't get stuck with crappy cel phone shots. Also when me and my wife go out shooting we each have a camera, so no more needing to wait your turn Same mount should mean you save money, but LBA can turn that around. Focus Peaking can also play a great part on MF LBA.
11-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luizpaulo Quote
First thing is to ask yourself, do you really need a second body? The K-01 can really complement a K-5 (or the K-30 in my case) in term of use and size. With a nice limited it can be more pocketable (In my case, my wife's purse) and the type of camera you can take for all events, not when you just go out to shoot photos (which was my case with the K-r and later the K-30). Focus Peaking is also great for MF fun, and the lack of viewfinder didn't bother me so much (and I live in a place with a lot of sun), and it was also less intimidating when I hand the camera to someone else to take a picture. OVF is something strange for most folks nowadays.

Also the K-01 can take great pictures. The sensor is good and while the AF can leave you hanging at night, Focus Peaking saves the day. MF can be very fast with it.
I love my K-01 + my 21mm. Great shots, multi purpose focal length and I don't get stuck with crappy cel phone shots. Also when me and my wife go out shooting we each have a camera, so no more needing to wait your turn Same mount should mean you save money, but LBA can turn that around. Focus Peaking can also play a great part on MF LBA.
Well, the God's honest truth is, I really don't need a second body. It's just that a K-01 body is such a good deal now and I have four DA Limiteds that I can use on it: the 15, 21, 35 and 70. I've never picked up the 40. A bit of an odd focal length on APS-C (at least to me) and if I was interested perhaps the FA 43 Limited would be better. Plus I have the DA 50 f/1.8. So this purchase would be for fun and something to serve as a second body until perhaps, as Adam suggests, a bona fide replacement for the K-5 comes out. Truth be told, I wish Ricoh made a K-mount 16mp module for the GXR. But the K-01 will do for now, especially for less than $350.
11-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Well, the God's honest truth is, I really don't need a second body. It's just that a K-01 body is such a good deal now and I have four DA Limiteds that I can use on it: the 15, 21, 35 and 70. I've never picked up the 40. A bit of an odd focal length on APS-C (at least to me) and if I was interested perhaps the FA 43 Limited would be better. Plus I have the DA 50 f/1.8. So this purchase would be for fun and something to serve as a second body until perhaps, as Adam suggests, a bona fide replacement for the K-5 comes out. Truth be told, I wish Ricoh made a K-mount 16mp module for the GXR. But the K-01 will do for now, especially for less than $350.
Need is a strong word, the question is will you actually use it? Do you see scenarios were you just want to take a smaller camera + a limited? If yes go ahead! The K-01 is more then worth it's price.

11-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would keep your K-5 rather than getting a K-5 IIs, and use the extra cash to pick up a K-01 (if you care for video). If you don't really care for video, I'd wait until Pentax maybe release a true successor to the K-5.
What Adam said, this is what I'm doing, I have a Q and K-01 and I'm waiting for the real successor to the K5. I'd rather spend my money buying lenses than buy another camera for the bells and whistles especially when it's dishing out the same IQ...
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm in the same boat sort of. I have a k-7 currently and want a new camera to take advantage of some of the upgrades. The K-01 & K-5 are the two options for me right now. I really would like to have 2 bodies for less lens changes. I have a 600mm lens and changing that out can be cumbersome if it is in the backpack so I have passed up on a lot of shots in favor of leaving the camera on the 600mm in hopes that I will get that wildlife shot I am waiting for. So do I keep the K-7 and get a K-01 or get a K-5 and sell the K-7 and most likely not be able to get the K-01?? I think if I get a K-01 that might be the new permanent home for my sigma 10-20mm.
11-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I'm in the same boat sort of. I have a k-7 currently and want a new camera to take advantage of some of the upgrades. The K-01 & K-5 are the two options for me right now. I really would like to have 2 bodies for less lens changes. I have a 600mm lens and changing that out can be cumbersome if it is in the backpack so I have passed up on a lot of shots in favor of leaving the camera on the 600mm in hopes that I will get that wildlife shot I am waiting for. So do I keep the K-7 and get a K-01 or get a K-5 and sell the K-7 and most likely not be able to get the K-01?? I think if I get a K-01 that might be the new permanent home for my sigma 10-20mm.
I'll say this: The K-7 is a fine camera but there is a BIG difference in higher ISO performance between it and both the K-5 and the K-01. The K-5 is the choice if you want a better all-rounder. If you're just not satisfied with the K-7 as your primary camera, maybe you should go for the K-5 now. But if you're still happy with your K-7, you can't find a cheaper way to get into that 16mp Sony APS-C sensor than the K-01. The two will probably tide you over nicely until the K-5 II goes on closeout in a year or so.

BTW, I pulled the trigger on the K-01 this week. So, now it's the K-5, the K-01 and the Q in my Pentax kit.