QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
My albino macro-crab
Does a pretty good job too:
Reminds me of a scorpion...cool!

07-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Reminds me of a scorpion...cool!
Ha... I guess you are right... it does look more like a scorpion rather than a crab .
07-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Looks like a Carry Speed VF-3? How do you like it?
07-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Looks like a Carry Speed VF-3? How do you like it?
I like it quite a lot. I would highly recommend it!

07-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now I want this!

K-01 White×Blue?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

PRE-ORDER NOW babies.
07-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #186
Veteran Member

The black is my sister's camera. yellow's mine with my fave for the K-01 Nokton 58mm f/1.4
07-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My albino macro-crab scorpion

Does a pretty good job too:
Nice setup mrNewt. What bracket are you using to mount your flash units ?

07-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
Nice setup mrNewt. What bracket are you using to mount your flash units ?
Thanks!

I'm using 2 flat brackets under the camera connected as a T.
One is shorter and wider connected to the SWIVI VF going front-back and the other one is longer and thin going left-right (on top of the first one) - flashes mounted on it.
Nothing complex... but quite effective. Still able to mount it on a tripod... and can easily be detached and re-attached to a different camera.

Last edited by mrNewt; 07-04-2013 at 01:23 PM.
07-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #189
Veteran Member

Some insect macro shooters cool bugs in the freezer to immobilize them. MrNewt terrorizes them into immobility with a giant scorpion.

Nice setup. I haven't tried the K-01 in my macro rig yet, but I have the VF-3 and D FA 100mm, so I should give it a whirl soon.
07-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Some insect macro shooters cool bugs in the freezer to immobilize them. MrNewt terrorizes them into immobility with a giant scorpion.

Nice setup. I haven't tried the K-01 in my macro rig yet, but I have the VF-3 and D FA 100mm, so I should give it a whirl soon.
Thanks!
You know what they are saying... anything that gets the job done!

You should try the K-01 for macro... extremely fun in my opinion.
I even tried setups with macro extension tubes or macro filters. Loads of fun!
07-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks!

I'm using 2 flat brackets under the camera connect as a T.
One is shorter and wider connected to the SWIVI VF going front-back and the other one is longer and thin going left-right (on top of the first one) - flashes mounted on it.
Nothing complex... but quite effective. Still able to mount it on a tripod... and can easily be detached and re-attached to a different camera.
Thanks for that info. Those are some solid looking ball head mounts you are using for the flash triggers and flash. Can you tell me where I can get a couple, and the brackets? I just finished ordering the Carry Speed VF-3.
07-04-2013, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
Thanks for that info. Those are some solid looking ball head mounts you are using for the flash triggers and flash. Can you tell me where I can get a couple, and the brackets? I just finished ordering the Carry Speed VF-3.
Any time!

Everything you see in the picture (except camera and lens) was taken from eBay - I'm a sucker for cheap prices on good stuff and I don't mind a little bit of waiting.
The ball head mounts and brackets are aluminium, well finished and so far strong enough.

If you look carefully, the ball head mounts are having an umbrella mount as well (useless for macro obviously). I think I paid around $20CAD for 4 of them.
The brackets were a little more because I got 2 of the long ones (about $27CAD) and probably another $10 for the smaller one that connects the camera and the flash bracket.

So I would say... all in, would of been around $300CAD (including flashes, triggers - set of 4, close-up filter set, macro extension set and the SWIVI VF).

Last edited by mrNewt; 07-04-2013 at 01:28 PM.
07-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any time!

Everything you see in the picture (except camera and lens) was taken from eBay - I'm a sucker for cheap prices on good stuff and I don't mind a little bit of waiting.
The ball head mounts and brackets are aluminium, well finished and so far strong enough.

If you look carefully, the ball head mounts are having an umbrella mount as well (useless for macro obviously). I think I paid around $20CAD for 4 of them.
The brackets were a little more because I got 2 of the long ones (about $27CAD) and probably another $10 for the smaller one that connects the camera and the flash bracket.

So I would say... all in, would of been around $300CAD (including flashes, triggers - set of 4, close-up filter set, macro extension set and the SWIVI VF).
Except for the ball head mounts and aluminum brackets, and the SWIVI VF3 which I just ordered, I pretty much have the rest of the set up covered. I have already been doing some poking around on eBay, Amazon and Google Search looking for those "cheap prices on good stuff".
That's a good looking rig you have there and, as demonstrated by your image of those blooms, it also provides some very nice results. Can't wait to get it together and give it a go.
Thanks again for some very solid information.
07-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #194
Veteran Member

I'm glad you mentioned "SWIVI". Looks like this is manufactured (or sourced, or produced, or imported/exported) by GGS, which looks to be a Hong-Kong company, but sold/distributed under a few different names, like Flashpoint (Adorama's house brand), Cowboy Studios, as well as the Carry Speed VF-3, and maybe a few other names. All the same thing. I'm mentioning this here since it might help someone find a cheaper price on what is essentially the same thing. Better to search by SWIVI than VF-3.
07-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #195
Pentaxian

There is a new pony in the stable

No, its not blue

The highly coveted, by me, silver edition has at long last been acquired

3 amigos ................................................................................................................................cellphone cam ! ALERT !

Thanks for looking..........................................................................................................................cellphone cam ! ALERT !

Last edited by gda13; 07-17-2013 at 03:42 PM.