Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter

What color? (Lame question)

The good news is, I've decided to go for the K-01 at the sweet low price! PF is gets the referral -- glad to be a continuing site supporter.

The sad news is, I back-ordered it in black, but now I can't decide if that was the right choice, or if I should request a different color. The stock, static photos don't really help.

White: Would be my first choice except I don't like the black buttons and black flash. Easy to cross that one off my list.

Yellow: The videos I've seen of this in yellow are ... eye catching. This could be a good thing, and could be a bad thing.

Black: The videos of this in black look, to me, reasonably conservative, while maintaining the industrial design. But some have commented that it makes it look clunky, and let's face it, if you are going to buy designer goods, it might as well look good!

To those who actually bought a K-01, did you regret the color you picked? If you subsequently switched, were you glad you did?

11-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I adore my brand new yellow K-01. Why be boring? And it fits my big, aging hands as well as my K-X. As far as I'm concerned, it totally deserves its design award, particularly in yellow.
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm opening my white one right after I type this. I had the reverse order in mind from you: white, then yellow then black. I wanted it to be a little different, so that's that. When the white dropped $10 I snapped and here it is.

Hmmm... black lenses look mighty nice from the top, with all those dark dials and buttons

Now to work on my claw-grip!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 11-13-2012 at 06:42 PM.
11-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
HSV
Veteran Member

C'mon fellows...black!

Have you ever seen a pro tog using a white or yellow camera?

Seriously, I'd prefer black because it has the silver frame, which looks well with the silver DA40 XS. Wait...the yellow one also has a silver frame!

11-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
To those who actually bought a K-01, did you regret the color you picked? If you subsequently switched, were you glad you did?
Classic Black, and no regrets, except that black doesn't have a cool nickname like the other two ("Bumblebee" and "Panda"). I wanted the K-01 for museum shoots, where its quiet "shoop" shutter sound is a plus. Since bright colors reflect in glass cases, I had to go with black.

In case you haven't already seen it, this set has a few shots of my K-01 "dressed up" with different old lenses from my collection:
Learning the K-01 - a set on Flickr
11-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax really should release a camera the shade of the ring on their DA's. I bet they'd sell as well as the blues and whites would.
11-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Pentax really should release a camera the shade of the ring on their DA's. I bet they'd sell as well as the blues and whites would.
There is a metallic green ("crystal green") version of the K-30 available in Japan, but it's more of an olive green. For the K-01, I'm genuinely surprised they didn't go full-on Pentax insane with a pink one, either with pink grips, or just a pink version of the white body with black grips.
11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

It was white for me. I didn't care for yellow but I wanted the contrasting black dials.

11-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I ordered white from a store in New York that apparently got hit hard by Sandy so still haven't received it yet. I did waffle a bit between the white and yellow for a lot of the same reasons that you guys have already posted (fun and different) but in the end I felt white was the best choice for being different without being over-the-top ridiculous (description a lot of friends have said). Kind of thought about possibly trying to import the silver/black version from Europe to go along with limited edition silver lenses but that was most definitely not cost effective.
11-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Pentax really should release a camera the shade of the ring on their DA's.
Now that would really look cool. One reason I had toyed around with the white K-r and the white K-01 dual-lens kits in the past is that they come with the white DA-L 18-55 kit lens. My wife has been so good about my photography hobby that I almost bought her a pink k-r, because that also came with the matching pink lens. But the pink was just too over-the-top, even for her. And we don't need another 18-55 in the house.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
For the K-01, I'm genuinely surprised they didn't go full-on Pentax insane with a pink one, either with pink grips, or just a pink version of the white body with black grips.
Maybe someone will come up with aftermarket replacement grips. This thing calls out for customization, perhaps more so than the Optio RS1000, which came various "skins" plus a stencil for cutting out custom overlays. I wouldn't mind being a walking billboard for Pentax some of the time, but sometimes I want to be discreet. Maybe a contrasting (or plain black) fitted case would do the job .....

I guess if the price goes any lower, I could just buy all three colors.
11-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
The good news is, I've decided to go for the K-01 at the sweet low price! PF is gets the referral -- glad to be a continuing site supporter.

The sad news is, I back-ordered it in black, but now I can't decide if that was the right choice, or if I should request a different color. The stock, static photos don't really help.
If you look like this:

then black is your camera.

All other humans should order yellow
11-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I presume all colors come with the same black strap with white "pentax pentax" lettering? It looks good on my panda. Another aftermarket item, perhaps: bumblebee straps!
11-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If you look like this:

then black is your camera.

All other humans should order yellow
Now, Ron, you KNOW how much I love my Classic Black K-01 with a Zeiss 'zebra' lens. And I've shaved since that photo was taken.

I am tempted to get a yellow one as a backup-backup, but will there be a glut of them even cheaper when the bargain hunters find they can't stand the differentness? (I'm hoping not, and that the low price turns the K-01 from a flop into a quirky success/cult favorite.)
11-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I ordered the white one and pentax sent me the yellow, I decided to keep the yellow and I actually love the look of the camera. It's nice having a camera that looks completely different than every other person out there...
11-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Yellow is the only choice. Its awesome! Do you want to be awesome? ;-)