Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Can anyone compare k-01 AF (with update) to K-r?

I currently have a k-r and I think this is the only way I can get a sense of what the k-01 can do. I am looking for how it does indoors with not great lighting mostly, and with a da 35mm. My k-r is not usable like this. Also, how is object tracking?

11-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01's CDAF is generally going to be about twice as fast as that of the K-r, but in PDAF mode, the K-r should still have an edge most of the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Also, how is object tracking?
On the K-01, "tragic" pretty much sums it up. The K-01 isn't a camera for action shooters.

An in-depth comparison of the K-5 vs K-01 AF is found here:
Pentax K-01 Camera Review - Autofocus Performance - PentaxForums.com

The K-5's performance should be fairly close to that of the K-5 in PDAF mode, and virtually identical in CDAF (live view) mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-01 focuses in the same way that your K-r does when its on Live View, albeit faster because of tweaking of the hardware/firmware. Try doing those things you mentioned with live view as your focusing method and see if that is faster-works better. The sensor in the K-01 is more sensitive in low light but the focusing method is a bit challenged for anything moving, and you did ask about object tracking.
11-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-01 does okay indoors - it's an improvement on the K-r's LiveView. I don't think you can put the K-01's LCD (LiveView/contrast detect) focusing against the K-r's viewfinder (phase detect) and say one is 'better' - both have different strengths and weaknesses.

Forget about tracking moving objects (kids, critters) with the K-01. It's not up to it.

11-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think it is of my opinion dat they are both worse.
11-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On the K-01, "tragic" pretty much sums it up. The K-01 isn't a camera for action shooters
Most would say that about the entire Pentax brand. Compare any Pentax product along side any level of camera (from entry level to full frame flagship) of Sony or Nikon label, and it brings Pentax to shame. The best of fps is just ovr alf of what the competetors offer, and focus cannot match as well
11-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. From everything I was reading about focus after the firmware update, I think I was expecting more. I guess it depends what you start with. The k-r focus for my shooting (indoor and moving kids) is just bad, and live view is unusable. Sounds like the K-01 live view is better, but doesn't sound like anyone is raving about it. I love the k-01 price and with my Pentax glass, I hoped it would be a good upgrade choice. I may look into m4/3 and NEX, but I am not expecting miracles there either.
11-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Thanks for all the responses. From everything I was reading about focus after the firmware update, I think I was expecting more. I guess it depends what you start with. The k-r focus for my shooting (indoor and moving kids) is just bad, and live view is unusable. Sounds like the K-01 live view is better, but doesn't sound like anyone is raving about it. I love the k-01 price and with my Pentax glass, I hoped it would be a good upgrade choice. I may look into m4/3 and NEX, but I am not expecting miracles there either.
Perhaps not miracles but the newest and best micro four-thirds cameras might surprise you. They're getting pretty good in this department.