Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
The 8gb is a class 6 card. Apparently that is a speed difference?

11-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
The 8gb is a class 6 card. Apparently that is a speed difference?
Uh yeah. Preferably you'd want a class 10 but as far as I know class 6 is the highest they go on the eye-fi cards. Still gets the job done as long as you're not looking to record 1080p video.
11-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

According to their website, the 16gb is a class 10

Eye-Fi Products: Compare WiFi Cards: the Pro X2, Mobile X2, and the Connect X2 | Eye-Fi
11-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

It's also a lot more expensive. Not too many deals to be had on that model.

11-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I rarely shoot 16 gigs of pictures at a time. The speed of download I am not bothered by, as I am used to the snail pace of 645d download nonsense. I think this is the way to go. That stupid rubber door bound to fail some day.
11-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I suppose if you shot a lot of video, having a fast storage to the SD would be useful However, I wouldn't worry much about the "class" of an Eye-Fi. If you are looking to avoid using the door of the SD card slot, then you will be downloading in the endless memory mode, and your biggest speed frustration will be the speed of the wireless.

I've used my 8g Eye-Fi Pro X2 far less than I thought I would because of the speed. If you shoot raw or large JPEGs, the downloads to your computer take what seems to be a long time, and you need to be near friendly wireless hub, or they take even longer using the card as a server. I don't know if they have improved this, but your camera must stay on a long time for a download. About the best use I've found for it is to use RAW+ and the smallest JPEG and use the computer for a quick view on a larger screen, downloading the raw file later.
12-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, about a month into it now, and I have few additional thoughts that are probably useless.

1) Even with an updated version of the firmware, AF with DA35/2.8 macro ltd is pretty lame. I imagine avid AF users would be or should be quite pissed about this. If you MF like I do, then IQ of this lens is not affected. In fact, I like this lens with this sensor in that there are no sensors that Pentax has used so far that can bring out the best of this particular lens.

2) On the other hand, for some reasons, pictures taken with DA* 50-135 with this camera just don't look right. I cannot quite pinpoint it. I am not sure why, but it lacks in warmth. Believe it or not, K10d does a better job with this lens.

3) I am getting quite used to not having a viewfinder, or using the LCD screen. While it is not a joy to use, and I cannot see jack in bright daylight, it is more or less alright. It is partly because it was only $350. It is what it is.

4) While the thing takes fine pictures, it is hard for me to squeeze out "distinctiveness" out of this camera, so to speak. The best way to challenge this is to stick with low ISO setting, like at 100, and shoot exclusively in manual mode. Or else all the pics look pretty much and more or less the same. It reminds me of dating pretty girls that are mindless. I dunno. Something is missing from this camera.

5) You need to have the sensor cleaning when the camera is shutting off, not when it is turning on. Because it lacks the mirror, it seems to me more prone to sensor dust collection compared to DSLR.
12-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Ok, about a month into it now, and I have few additional thoughts that are probably useless.

1) Even with an updated version of the firmware, AF with DA35/2.8 macro ltd is pretty lame. I imagine avid AF users would be or should be quite pissed about this. If you MF like I do, then IQ of this lens is not affected. In fact, I like this lens with this sensor in that there are no sensors that Pentax has used so far that can bring out the best of this particular lens.

2) On the other hand, for some reasons, pictures taken with DA* 50-135 with this camera just don't look right. I cannot quite pinpoint it. I am not sure why, but it lacks in warmth. Believe it or not, K10d does a better job with this lens.

3) I am getting quite used to not having a viewfinder, or using the LCD screen. While it is not a joy to use, and I cannot see jack in bright daylight, it is more or less alright. It is partly because it was only $350. It is what it is.

4) While the thing takes fine pictures, it is hard for me to squeeze out "distinctiveness" out of this camera, so to speak. The best way to challenge this is to stick with low ISO setting, like at 100, and shoot exclusively in manual mode. Or else all the pics look pretty much and more or less the same. It reminds me of dating pretty girls that are mindless. I dunno. Something is missing from this camera.

5) You need to have the sensor cleaning when the camera is shutting off, not when it is turning on. Because it lacks the mirror, it seems to me more prone to sensor dust collection compared to DSLR.
- Maybe it is just the lens, since my lenscollection seems fine in AF speed (I'm lazy and don't do MF).
- That is a pitty, since the DA*50-135mm is a fine lens. I don't own it anymore it just never was flat in my opinion:

- I payed way more, and lucky me I still love my yellow brick.
- Call me shallow, I love mindless blonds
- Never cleaned mine, so no idea where the dust is coming from.

12-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It reminds me of dating pretty girls that are mindless.
Dating pretty girls that are mindless is just exactly what you should do with pretty, mindless girls. Marrying one is another matter entirely.

Which is some kind of commentary on mindless Pentax fanboyism, or something.
12-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
- Maybe it is just the lens, since my lenscollection seems fine in AF speed (I'm lazy and don't do MF).
- That is a pitty, since the DA*50-135mm is a fine lens. I don't own it anymore it just never was flat in my opinion:

- I payed way more, and lucky me I still love my yellow brick.
- Call me shallow, I love mindless blonds
- Never cleaned mine, so no idea where the dust is coming from.
Yes I love my 50-135. Even including the primes, it can well be one of favorite lenses. For whatever reason I don't understand, it just doesn't look right. I am working on it. The thing is, with K10D, I don't have to work on it . . . .

As to the mindless blonde, send her on my way!!
12-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dating pretty girls that are mindless is just exactly what you should do with pretty, mindless girls. Marrying one is another matter entirely.

Which is some kind of commentary on mindless Pentax fanboyism, or something.
I think that is why I still shoot more with my M8 than K-01, even with FA ltds and all. I have not become infatuated with it, not quite yet, and I am not sure if I ever will. With Leica, it took me no less than a day. I was hooked from the beginning, and the excitement has not worn off at all yet.

I am still willing to give it a try though. I went into this with a blank sheet and an open mind. The camera feels not so polished from the standpoint of aesthetics. The design of it is superb. I love looking at my yellow brick.
12-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Nope! Not flat at all! Quite well rounded!
12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #43
Site Supporter

I think that is why I still shoot more with my M8 than K-01, even with FA ltds and all. I have not become infatuated with it, not quite yet, and I am not sure if I ever will. With Leica, it took me no less than a day. I was hooked from the beginning, and the excitement has not worn off at all yet.

I am still willing to give it a try though. I went into this with a blank sheet and an open mind. The camera feels not so polished from the standpoint of aesthetics. The design of it is superb. I love looking at my yellow brick.
Fontan,

Thanks so much for your thorough reviews.
I was really close to purchasing one due to the lower price...but even at the lower price, it is still a healthy chunk o' change and I would like to be totally satisfied with it.
I was really looking for a body that I can utilize focus peaking for my MF fast glass, but ever since I installed my ee-s focus screen, it isn't a necessity.
12-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, please do understand that there is a matter of preferences here.

But, for me, no prints made at A3 with K-01/50-135 have been satisfactory. They don't look right. I have no such issues with K10d. I just don't know why. This is a very difficult point to discuss on the net, without having prints at appropriate viewing distances. When someone says flat vs. rounded, or when I say "lacks warmth," I am not even sure if we understand each other correctly. It is a bit different from discussing something like sharpness, for example. This can actually be quantified. Coincidentally, this is the aspect of photography that is the least important to me . . .

I am gonna keep at it and see what I can find here. . . .

Last edited by Fontan; 12-05-2012 at 10:16 PM.
12-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #45
Pentaxian

K20D is where things began to go wrong, in my opinion. But this is a matter of preference, of course. K10D is more film like. K20D more plasticky. K-7 was more like K10D. K-5 more like K20D. K-01 pretty much the same as K-5.
Buddy, I don't quite understand this. I know some people prefer the CCD looks to CMOS looks even though I'm not sure I can see the difference or have that preference. But AFAIK, the K-7 had more or less the exact same Samsung CMOS sensor as the K20D had. And yet you like K-7's IQ and not K20D's. Is there such a difference in processing?