Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
indoors

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I have had the k-01 for a month and a half now and I have a love hate relationship with it. I love it for its image quality--- when it works properly. But i get very inconsistent results with this camera. It was especially infuriating over the holidays. My two biggest gripes are: 1) AF is still not acceptable indoors, even with the 1.01 FW upgrade; 2) my copy gives very inconsistent result with spot focusing; 3) shutter lag.

****end rant
Same problem here, I switched to manual focus and the focus peaking worked well. The shutter lag is something I am getting used to. Also, holding it still is a problem, I need to try an LCD screen Loupe so I can press the camera against my face, like with a DSLR to stabilize the handheld images. Still liking it though.

12-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
For instance, I have a number of shots of my baby nephew where something other than his face is in focus, even where he was lying still. It seems like the camera focuses on the area with the greatest contrast, regardless of where it is pointed. I also have a number of present-opening shots where I was focusing on the subject's face, but instead the edge of the present (with bright wrapping paper) is in focus.
Which focus mode do you use (edit: I see you have it on spot focus too, so nevermind)? I found the face detection mode utterly unreliable, so I have it on spot focus now and use the good old recomposition technique. With the DA 40 and the updated firmware, I'm getting reliable auto-focusing even in low indoors light.
12-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Here's one thing about focusing that does go wrong for me occasionally. If you have menu #10 "AF Release Options" set to "Release Priority" rather than "Focus Priority", the camera will take the shot regardless of whether perfect focus was achieved or not. With this, missed focus does happen to me sometimes, for instance when the subject is closer than the minimum focusing distance of the lens I have mounted. That's user error though, and hardly the fault of the K-01.
12-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #64
Banned

Well about handling the camera:

In this way you can hold the camera more easy still.

In the menu there is also the setting to set the SR to ON all the time (that is No15 in the menu).

I do need an extra third stop in shuuttertime faster then K-5 to get my image. Supporting the camera on something is what I do more then with K-5 (since my face is then the support) so to a wall leaning or something.

With fast lenses the AF is also good in dimm light. The K-01 does need contrast to focus on.

01-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I suppose the green button is more or less an individual issue in that some folks like yourself can live without it. For me it is an absolutely a must. I don't know what to do without it. For a single shot, I try so many different settings that in a matter few minutes I am wanting to go back to what I started out with and re-group. On average, for one shot, I probably try at least 10 different combos of different apertures and shutter speeds. It does get out of hand often for me . . . .
I didn't say I don't use the green button. I do, a lot. What I said was that I don't agree that its placement is problematic, possibly because I have large hands. It's just not a problem to reach.
01-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #66
Veteran Member

I just finished a holiday trip with my k-01 as the main camera for the trip. Taken well over 2000 shots altogether. I don't find a lot of issues with the AF. It is true it needs a contrasty object to focus on and I do have some OOF shots but that can be said even when I use my k-7 previously. I m extremely pleased with the k-01 thus far.
01-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #67

Out of curisoity, which lens did you use for most (if not all) of the shots?

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I just finished a holiday trip with my k-01 as the main camera for the trip. Taken well over 2000 shots altogether. I don't find a lot of issues with the AF. It is true it needs a contrasty object to focus on and I do have some OOF shots but that can be said even when I use my k-7 previously. I m extremely pleased with the k-01 thus far.

01-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Think about how much smaller Da 40 xs compared to the limited version for instance. If DA21 can be made 50% smaller . They could have done this, you know, by having a protruding rear lens element . . .
The 40XS has no protruding elements
01-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
Out of curisoity, which lens did you use for most (if not all) of the shots?
I brought the DA15, DA21, DA70 with me. More than 90pc of the shots are using DA15. Remaining 8pc shots using DA21 and DA70 and another 2pc or so shot using the DA18-135 borrowed from my wife's k-30.
01-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quite a succinct review, interesing points on ergonomics - but that is what you get for asking someone with no experience in designing cameras to design one.

I think a K-01 would look oddly comical when attached to a FA*600mm f/4 or FA*250-600mm f/5.6.

11) It is now cheap. Should have been sold at $499 initially. Out of touch pricing, really. Dumb.
Sigma did worse with the SD1
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
quite a succinct review, interesing points on ergonomics - but that is what you get for asking someone with no experience in designing cameras to design one.

I think a K-01 would look oddly comical when attached to a FA*600mm f/4 or FA*250-600mm f/5.6.
Definitely, but that's hardly the application it was designed for. I also don't believe that Mark Newson had any leeway with the fundamental design parameters (mirrorless, no viewfinder, as compact as possible within the K-mount constraints). He does have to answer for that SD card door and the green button placement, though.
01-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #72

i love it with my primes i also use it for video with my 70-200 2.8 and it does a wonderful job i think it is because of the focus peaking that i really love it
01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clatrell Quote
I didn't say I don't use the green button. I do, a lot. What I said was that I don't agree that its placement is problematic, possibly because I have large hands. It's just not a problem to reach.
Sorry about that, dude.

When I hold the shutter button with my thumb as Ron does, it actually isn't that bad. But, I am not getting all that comfy with that shooting style. The placement of the green button is not a deal breaker for me, but I wish they placed it else where. That is all.
01-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Definitely, but that's hardly the application it was designed for.
But one of the selling points everyone spouting was "works with 15 million K-mount lenses!" (or however many it was).
Should they instead have said "works with 15 million K-mount lenses...but you wouldn't want to use it with a large protion of those lenses".
01-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
But one of the selling points everyone spouting was "works with 15 million K-mount lenses!" (or however many it was).
Should they instead have said "works with 15 million K-mount lenses...but you wouldn't want to use it with a large protion of those lenses".
I was agreeing with the assessment that it would look "oddly comical" with one of those huge lenses. However, since I couldn't care less about how comical I look to the members of the fashion police, this wouldn't keep me from using the K-01 with them, at least if the application calls for a tripod anyway. Hand-held is a different matter. I don't think my Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm is likely to see much use on the K-01. At the same time though, my less bulky manual focus glass is now much less likely to be used on the K-x, even with the split-screen viewfinder, since focusing on the K-01 is so much easier.