Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 12:28 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,322
My totally useless on-going assessment of K-01

Well, I've had it for about a week now. A yellow one it was for $349 from Crutchfield(sorry Adam, the big two were out of stock at the time). So here it is.

1) I like it better than I thought I would.

2) I think it looks cool. Lines are very clean.

3) Picture quality similar to k-5. Well, it is the same sensor after all.

4) AF sucked with the old firmware, but not bad after updating. Besides, I don't use AF much. I can careless.

5) Focus peaking is alright. I like that of NEX-5 or 7 better. Easier.

6) I agree with Adam. The green button is misplaced. I am a green button guy. I use this a lot, and the position of it really blows.

7) it is after all, a ILPS (Interchangeable Lens Point and Shoot), not that anything is wrong with that.

8) All those different shooting modes are funny. I enjoy looking at them.

9) Lack of viewfinder does not bug. It is what it is.

10) Easy to hold? Yes and no. Not awkward to shoot with, but awkward to carry by one hand.. K-5,7 will hang on your fingertips. K-01 will not. If you have a big lens on (ie *50-135), not nice to walk around with.

11) It is now cheap. Should have been sold at $499 initially. Out of touch pricing, really. Dumb.

12) This camera is a proof that for most photographers, K-5 is an overkill. It suffices more than adequately for most people and situations. If you are willing to train yourself with MF method, you can even do sports photography, much like they did in the old days.

13) At this price, I think it is a must buy if you have k mount lenses.


Last edited by Fontan; 11-22-2012 at 05:34 PM.
11-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
It is very tempting for me although I have two perfectly functioning cameras K7 and Kx aswell as a carry around Q! I am thinking better for me to wait till one of my cameras die and use the money for lenses
11-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
7) it is after all, a ILPS (Interchangeable Lens Point and Shoot), not that anything is wrong with that.
Yes I agree and there for should not be compaired with the K5/7 for they are DSLR's

14) Put a big lens on it like Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and try to free hand shoot, It's almost imposable to hold it steady with a heavy lens to get a desent shot off.
11-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,315
I agree mostly, not with this:
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
7) it is after all, a ILPS (Interchangeable Lens Point and Shoot), not that anything is wrong with that.
I think the main features of PS is that they are tiny, have tiny/poor sensor, don't have interchangeable lenses, don't allow manual controls. The K-01 is just a small DSLR, always in live view, missing the mirror and PD AF. You still see "through the lens" and you still have manual controls (M, Av, Tv, P modes, can shoot raw, can use legacy lenses), so you aren't forced to just "point and shoot."

11-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member
wanderography's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hayward, California, USA
Posts: 567
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I agree mostly, not with this:

I think the main features of PS is that they are tiny, have tiny/poor sensor, don't have interchangeable lenses, don't allow manual controls. The K-01 is just a small DSLR, always in live view, missing the mirror and PD AF. You still see "through the lens" and you still have manual controls (M, Av, Tv, P modes, can shoot raw, can use legacy lenses), so you aren't forced to just "point and shoot."
Ya I feel the same way, I look at my K-01 as a digital new age LX, especially since I use strictly manual focus lenses.
11-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,435
I basically agree with more or less all of your points. Although my assessment of your assessment is even more useless since I have never actually seen or held the K-01. My white white one got held up in New York due to Sandy and will hopefully be shipping sometime this week.
11-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,322
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
It is very tempting for me although I have two perfectly functioning cameras K7 and Kx aswell as a carry around Q! I am thinking better for me to wait till one of my cameras die and use the money for lenses
Seems to me that you have enough lenses. You should sell one of your K-7s and buy one of these. I sold my one and only K-7 for $400 on ebay, and bought one of these. But for me I wasn't using much of K-7 anyway.
11-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
Ya I feel the same way, I look at my K-01 as a digital new age LX, especially since I use strictly manual focus lenses.
Agree completely, it is in essence a very capable, basic camera - set it up the way you like, and then forget about it and take photos. I am liking it a lot more than I had envisioned, including the 40mm lens (which I am glad I opted for, as I think it will almost be the exclusive lens for this camera).

11-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Picture quality similar to k-5. Well, it is the same sensor after all
Same spec sensor, but the Pentax K-01 has zero issues with sensor burn. Not sure how many manufacturing runs of the K-5 were effected by the sensor burn issue, what that number comes out to consumers that use the camera - or even if Pentax even formally acknowledged it and repaired the issue??


QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
Put a big lens on it like Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and try to free hand shoot, It's almost imposable to hold it steady with a heavy lens to get a desent shot off
Uummm, no. A majority of my work outdoors is done with lens' that are large and weight a lot. I can easily use a comfortable two hand hold and/or brace with a Sigma 300mm - and even get the shutter down well below the focal length.Also any lens that does not have a tripod collat is not difficult to free hand shoot with the K-01
11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member
wanderography's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hayward, California, USA
Posts: 567
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Same spec sensor, but the Pentax K-01 has zero issues with sensor burn. Not sure how many manufacturing runs of the K-5 were effected by the sensor burn issue, what that number comes out to consumers that use the camera - or even if Pentax even formally acknowledged it and repaired the issue??




Uummm, no. A majority of my work outdoors is done with lens' that are large and weight a lot. I can easily use a comfortable two hand hold and/or brace with a Sigma 300mm - and even get the shutter down well below the focal length.Also any lens that does not have a tripod collat is not difficult to free hand shoot with the K-01
I agree here too, for a short time I owned a tamron 18 - 250 for a family vacation with my k-01 and I had a blast shooting it, no problems at all really (beside focusing as soon as I came near some shadows, this was the old firmware though), I find myself just shooting lower with my K-01.

Last edited by wanderography; 11-14-2012 at 03:32 PM.
11-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,322
Original Poster
All I am saying is that it s a bit of an awkward body to "carry around" with a big lens on. I wish they had come out with few more prime lenses that are extremely small and light. They should have made more of a "kit" out of this product line.

On my second week now with this thing, and I am now beginning to feel that it has too many features. But then again, I feel this way with every camera I have owned with one notable exception; Leica M8.

I am already finding myself shooting more with M8 - a camera with far inferior and hopelessly outdated sensor. Again I am reminded that IQ is sooooo secondary in photography. It probably isn't even the second or third important aspect.
11-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,435
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
All I am saying is that it s a bit of an awkward body to "carry around" with a big lens on. I wish they had come out with few more prime lenses that are extremely small and light. They should have made more of a "kit" out of this product line.

On my second week now with this thing, and I am now beginning to feel that it has too many features. But then again, I feel this way with every camera I have owned with one notable exception; Leica M8.

I am already finding myself shooting more with M8 - a camera with far inferior and hopelessly outdated sensor. Again I am reminded that IQ is sooooo secondary in photography. It probably isn't even the second or third important aspect.
Uhh...maybe I'm wrong here since I don't own any yet but aren't most of the DA Limited Primes small, light, and very high quality. I have the DA 21 (street photography) on it's way to me right now and I hope to use it on my future K-01 (which hasn't shipped yet). If I'm happy with that one then my next DA Limited will most likely be the 70mm for portraits.

I watch the Photouniverse channel on Youtube and that guy keeps talking about how you get the Leica experience with those Limited primes.
11-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,322
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Uhh...maybe I'm wrong here since I don't own any yet but aren't most of the DA Limited Primes small, light, and very high quality. I have the DA 21 (street photography) on it's way to me right now and I hope to use it on my future K-01 (which hasn't shipped yet). If I'm happy with that one then my next DA Limited will most likely be the 70mm for portraits.

I watch the Photouniverse channel on Youtube and that guy keeps talking about how you get the Leica experience with those Limited primes.
Think about how much smaller Da 40 xs compared to the limited version for instance. If DA21 can be made 50% smaller . They could have done this, you know, by having a protruding rear lens element . . .

Last edited by Fontan; 11-15-2012 at 11:15 PM.
11-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,396
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Think about how much smaller Da 40 xs compared to the limited version for instance. If DA21 can be made 50% smaller . They could have done this, you know, by having a protruding real lens element . . .
It might have happened, if the K-01 had taken off from the start, but now it seems unlikely. Actually given how small the DA 21 is (thinner than some other brand's so-called "pancakes", I think), I don't think an XS version would have been high on the priority list, compared to, say, a snub kit zoom.
11-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,435
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It might have happened, if the K-01 had taken off from the start, but now it seems unlikely. Actually given how small the DA 21 is (thinner than some other brand's so-called "pancakes", I think), I don't think an XS version would have been high on the priority list, compared to, say, a snub kit zoom.
Yeah...one of the reasons I ordered the 21 was how small it was and how well I thought it would complement the K-01. I don't really know how much smaller you'd want to go with a lens like that. I do admit that it would be nice to see more XS lenses in the future especially if they are less expensive than the current lineup of Limiteds.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adam, af, button, k-01, k-5, k01, lens, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is my 40mm xs so tight on my K-01? hcc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 02-09-2013 06:56 PM
For those of you with both the K-5 and K-01 or K-30... cali92rs Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 11-12-2012 07:10 PM
my evaluation of the K-01 for the first time. Pentaxor Pentax K-01 19 04-24-2012 09:48 AM
Accurate K-5 AF assessment? Jeff Charles Pentax K-5 19 10-14-2011 08:10 AM
Sobering assessment of Iraq war jeffkrol General Talk 14 09-01-2010 02:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top