Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Focusing on the K-01 is just like using LiveView on the K-r, only a little quicker and probably more accurate in lower light. If trying to catch a moving toddler with the viewfinder on the K-r is frustrating, the K-01 will not be an improvement. Point & shoot cameras actually have an advantage here - the tiny sensor gives them huge depth of field, so a moving target is more likely in the focus zone. I found when I switched my K-r from AF.A (autofocus - automatic) to AF.S (single-shot), focusing improved a lot. It seemed like it wanted to go into AF.C mode (continuous) all the time, even for non-moving targets.

Otherwise, the image quality is a little better (but not the huge leap of, say, a K100D - the K-r is no slouch!), and the menus/features will feel the same. The K-01 is a little smaller overall and feels very different in the hand with the blocky body.
Thanks for the info. My k-r hunts so much for focus in live view that it's useless unless I'm shooting a rock and have the afternoon free. In low light, like in my house at night, it just can't find focus much at all. It's hard to believe if the k-01 only has live view to focus that it wouldn't be vastly improved? I don't have anywhere I can find one to try. Hmmm.

11-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Thanks for the info. My k-r hunts so much for focus in live view that it's useless unless I'm shooting a rock and have the afternoon free. In low light, like in my house at night, it just can't find focus much at all. It's hard to believe if the k-01 only has live view to focus that it wouldn't be vastly improved? I don't have anywhere I can find one to try. Hmmm.
Well, it depends on the lens as well. It's not fair to compare LiveView on the K-r with, say, the 18-55 kit lens and the K-01 with the 40/2.8 pancake. I've never bothered to put a 18-55 on my K-01, but in indoor light, with a Tamron 18-250, it would crank back and forth, start to make weird noises, and give up. On the other hand, I never had problems LiveView focusing with the K-r and a 17-50/2.8. The K-01's autofocusing is definitely a step up from the the K-r's LiveView (especially with firmware 1.01), but I don't think it surpasses viewfinder focusing on the K-r.
11-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #33

Lazy indoor shots

I've owned my K01 for about a week now, and it nicely complements my trusty K-7. For lazy shots around the house, the K01 has amazing quality at ISO 3200. Focusing with prime lenses has been fairly easy, and I tend to set the camera to auto. The dedicated video button is awesome. Gripes about the rubber SD card cover are overstated.

My wife strongly prefers the K01 to the K-7. This is not only because it has fewer buttons, but I think because it is lighter in weight and "friendlier" looking.

Outside, I think I will always rely on the K-7. I simply cannot get used to the LCD for moving images, and the sensor improvement is not evident to me at ISO 100-400. Ergonomics are much better and focus is snappier with the K7.

Someday, I will upgrade the K7 to the K5, and then I will have more of a choice for lazy indoor shots. However, I think I will still prefer the K01, because it has a relaxed and fun vibe, so it seems to make more sense in that context.
11-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #34

Great for video, light kit and wonderful with old k, m and a Manual lenses. I am using it much more than I thought. Would never use with longer telephotos for fast focus / sports but this is a tiny part of my shooting. I personally think that most of the photo industry and reviews are auto focus obsessed as if we all want to go around firing off thousands of shots rather than carefully composing and adjusting the camera settings to create the shot.