Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

When Do You Use Your K-01 vs. Your DSLR?

We all know the K-01 is far from the most-compact mirrorless camera out there... being essentially the same size as a modern Pentax DSLR without the mirror box. Given that the size difference between the K-01 and the K-5 or K-30 is not dramatic, when do K-01 owners who also own Pentax DSLRs leave the traditional camera home and opt for the K-01 - and why? I'm trying to understand the advantages the K-01 brings - or whether it should just be considered as a very inexpensive extra K-mount body.

11-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Video?
11-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Video?
Yeah, that seems like the most obvious thing. I was very close to picking up a K-01 body but the more I think about it, it seems to make more sense to pick up the new telephoto lens for the Q and the Q-to-K adaptor. I'm just trying to see if I'm missing something here.
11-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

While I have had mine for less than a day, my intent on purchasing this was to have a smaller, more compact body that I wouldn't mind bringing to work, out and about, etc., so I could capture images when they present themselves. I don't necessarily want to have to decide to "get my gear" and "go out shooting" with my DSLR on Saturday.

While you are correct that the K-01 is about the same size as a DSLR, it is significantly lighter and easier to carry if you have the stock lens or another smaller lens. Without the viewfinder, it is shorter than a DSLR and its profile makes it easier to pack/conceal.

11-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
While I have had mine for less than a day, my intent on purchasing this was to have a smaller, more compact body that I wouldn't mind bringing to work, out and about, etc., so I could capture images when they present themselves. I don't necessarily want to have to decide to "get my gear" and "go out shooting" with my DSLR on Saturday.

While you are correct that the K-01 is about the same size as a DSLR, it is significantly lighter and easier to carry if you have the stock lens or another smaller lens. Without the viewfinder, it is shorter than a DSLR and its profile makes it easier to pack/conceal.
Fair enough. It seems like the kit 40mm f/2.8 XS is a key part of the success of the K-01 - at least in terms of transport. Even though I have a number of DA Limited primes, the XS is the one that makes the K-01 convenient to slip into a pocket or small bag.
11-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my K-01 primarily to use as a "carry everywhere" camera because my DSLR is a K-10D and there's a fair amount of difference in size and weight. The K-01 is also going to be my video camera. In fact, I sold my old camcorder to help finance my K-01. My daughter is grown now so I don't shoot as much home video as I used to, but I'd still like to have that option. I also plan to use the K-01 as my wide-angle camera when I'm in "tourist" mode. In the film days, I used to like having one camera dedicated to wide angle lenses and the other for telephoto or macro. Saved a lot of time and trouble by not having to change lenses as much. It kinda gives the convenience of using a zoom, while shooting primes.
11-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the K-r and K-01. I tend to use the K-01 for better quality stills, to use focus peaking. I think the question is a bit bad because.. well, depends on which DSLR you want to compare it to. The K10D, K-5, K-30..
You shouldn't look at the K-01 as a replacement for something. You probably don't look at other DSLRs that way, right? You look at your wishes, at your budget, at what is available, and then you make your decision.
Also, i think the K-01 is significantly smaller than the K-r. Its not much lighter and if you compare numbers, its not much smaller, but its shape makes it much more compact. It doesn't get stuck at the edges, it takes less space in the bag, it allows more other stuff around it...
Its a competent and fun camera at a great price with a very special design.

Edit: I can tell you when I don't use my K-01, though. And that is mostly when I need AF on moving subjects.

11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I have the K-r and K-01. I tend to use the K-01 for better quality stills, to use focus peaking. I think the question is a bit bad because.. well, depends on which DSLR you want to compare it to. The K10D, K-5, K-30..
You shouldn't look at the K-01 as a replacement for something. You probably don't look at other DSLRs that way, right? You look at your wishes, at your budget, at what is available, and then you make your decision.
Also, i think the K-01 is significantly smaller than the K-r. Its not much lighter and if you compare numbers, its not much smaller, but its shape makes it much more compact. It doesn't get stuck at the edges, it takes less space in the bag, it allows more other stuff around it...
Its a competent and fun camera at a great price with a very special design.

Edit: I can tell you when I don't use my K-01, though. And that is mostly when I need AF on moving subjects.
I was comparing the K-01, size-wise, with the K-5 and K-30. I have the K-5 so the K-01 would be in addition to it. I have other small cameras. But the question for me personally is whether it would be better to grab this slightly more-compact camera body that I can use my DA Limiteds on... or whether to just have my K-5 for my K-mount lenses and expand on my Q kit with the same money.
11-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not talking the K-01 per se because I honestly don't like the design or want one, but for me the main reason a M/43 body is a good thing is being able to swap any lenses I want onto it. I have a large variety of different kinds of MF lenses and they can all go on a M/43 which makes using any of my gear possible. (Pentax, Vivitar, Nikon, Sears-Ricoh, Tamron, Minolta, Five Star, Yashica, Chinon, Promaster, et all, the list runs the gamut and there are at least half a dozen mounts.)

I bought it mainly because of that capacity, so I don't have to use film necessarily to use my Yashica gear in particular. I love my 3 ML's but they don't get near enough use on my FRI/FX-2 because developing film costs more money than I have sometimes. With an adapter and the Pen I can shoot with my ML's anytime I want. Ditto my Minolta and Nikon stuff. Right now I have K, M42 and C/Y adapters on route, but I intend to get them for all of my lenses so I can use anything I want, even my Grandpa's old cine lenses probably...

Plus a M 4/3 body is smaller and hopefully less attention grabbing than a DSLR, something that will be of advantage to me because most people here wouldn't know a M 4/3 camera from a regular pocket cam and they likely won't be as inclined to bother or potentially mug me for it so long as I don't let them get a good look at what I am actually using. The Pen I got I actually wanted black, but at $105 shipped beggars can't be choosers and I got the champagne gold. Later though I thought about it and I decided maybe the retro looking finish wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Likely looking at it people will assume it's an older rangefinder or a $50 pocket cam from Walmart and therefore a far less interesting camera than it is.

Let them think that. It makes it far more safe for me than walking around with a camera that everybody knows is a $500 DSLR. I can probably take the Pen to places I can't take the K-x and no one will get too nosy unless they get close enough to really check it out. That's also one of the reasons I am going to skin it somehow. I want it to look like some inexpensive older low MP ladies bling cam from a distance. I don't want anyone to take my Pen all that seriously. I want them to write it off as a cheap, fluff tourist camera so I can take pics whenever and wherever I like without worrying about whether or not someone might try to knock me down and take it. Or bar me from taking any pics because it's a DSLR. That's why the normal, non-camera bag I am going to use with it too. If they think I am just a tourist fluff bunny lady photographer so much the better, laugh.

I love my K-x but outside the gates of where I live it attracts way too much of the wrong kind of attention at times. It makes me nervous walking around with it in some areas. I want to reserve that camera more for studio work use anyhow. I don't want the shutter count to go way up because I am using it for both all the time. I want to keep my K-x as long as possible.

The Pen I like. The K-01 I just didn't unfortunately and it just doesn't fit into my budget either. I couldn't afford it anyhow. The Pen I could. In the end it doesn't matter which camera. I'm still using my Pentax kit on it. It just so happens that this digital body is an Oly, that's all...

Last edited by magkelly; 11-14-2012 at 01:12 PM.
11-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
was comparing the K-01, size-wise, with the K-5 and K-30. I have the K-5 so the K-01 would be in addition to it.
Ah. Well then video, focus peaking (good for older manual lenses), and slightly smaller/boxier shape. But on the other hand, the Q with a K mount adapter also sounds very attractive
11-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't have the k-01, but I was playing with it in the store.

With the 40mm XS, my k-x would still have trouble fitting in my coat pocket because of the depth and height. So that little bit of size difference is actually pretty critical for me.
11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But on the other hand, the Q with a K mount adapter also sounds very attractive
I don't know. The vast majority of the K-01's appeal for me is the great sensor. I already love it in my K-5, and now have a second K-mount body with the same sensor for $330US!

I really hate the looks of the K-01, but come on, at that price, how can I lose? My reasoning was that I'm probably going to get a K-5IIs at some point, and I decided that having the K-01 to play with for a while makes it possible for me to wait for the K-5IIs' price to drop enough that the K-01 becomes essentially free. It also allows me to find out if focus peaking is really important to me. If so, I'll be skipping the K-5IIs altogether.

Who knows, maybe I'll come to appreciate the "quirky" looks of the thing. Plus, it may very well be remembered as an interesting (and respectable) footnote in the history of Pentax, and I'll be glad I tried one.
11-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
when do K-01 owners who also own Pentax DSLRs leave the traditional camera home and opt for the K-01 - and why?
For me, three times jump to mind:
1) Shooting in art museums or other quiet places. The K-01's shutter sound is a soft "shoop" compared to the "Ka-Chick!" of my dSLRs. It's even quieter than the K-5.
2) When I want to skip the camera bag and shove the camera in one jacket pocket and maybe one spare lens in the other pocket. The lack of a grip and overhanging flash make it small enough to fit with the 40mm, or even an M 28/2.8 if it's my fleece jacket.
3) If I want to do "street" with something unobtrusive that doesn't look like a "real" camera (I have a black K-01). This is a new area for me, so I can't speak authoritatively, but it is something I want to explore more. The LCD is useable at fairly wide angles; with a little practice, you can shoot from waist-level. I've even done 1-second exposures shooting from the hip that weren't too awful.
11-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
D0n
Banned

I'd say the k-01 is a fine studio camera... for stills or video
11-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I really like hiking with the K-01 as opposed to the K5 (now K5 IIs!) It feels quite a bit lighter than the K5's. I attach a couple of carabiners to it and clip them onto my belt strap of the backpack and with any of the limiteds on you are good to go. It is a great landscape camera as I find framing with the LCD ideal for landscape photography and the lack of an optical viewfinder is ideal for long exposures since you don't have to worry about light leaking in through an optical viewfinder. In social situations, even though it is bigger than a point and shoot, I still find that people seem more at ease with a camera that you hold up in front of you rather than up to your eye blocking your face as with a DSLR. Still like my DSLR though for action photos and birding where the K-01 and any mirrorless can't yet compete.