Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-01 maximum flash sync speed?

Can anyone tell me the maximum allowed sync speed for internal/external flash on the K-01?

I am hoping that, without a mirror, Pentax will experiment with electronic shutter and allow higher sync speed than 1/180. Even the little Panasonic LX-3 & LX-5 can do that easily (i've tested it and found full sync on the compact cam up to 1/800, with loss of light occuring 1/1000 & up)

high speed sync capability would be cool.

11-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope you're ready for some disappointment... It's 1/180th without a HSS flash on the hotshoe.

I agree with you totally, they could and should implement an electronic shutter, or a hybrid shutter. And it wouldn't need to be limited to a mirorrless body either.

Currently if you want faster than 1/180th with K mount lenses without having to resort to HSS, you'll need a Q with a K to Q adapter. That has a 1/1000th leaf shutter built in, but unfortunately you'll have to put up with a 5.5X crop factor.
11-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The Sony NEX has an even slower sync speed, it seems to be hard to make an electronic shutter on any with a large sensor. The only APS-C sensor camera I know of that has a hybrid shutter is the old Nikon D70. It can also be done with a leaf shutter, but that is reserved for the really expensive stuff, except for on the little Q.
11-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thank you guys. i guess i'd stay with my current gear. Love the K-5. it is awsome.

11-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
An older trick that might work... It would depend upon the subject and also the possibility of blacking out the area - such as an indoor room with no lighting coming from the outside.

One could almost easily rig up the camera remote functions to leave the shutter open for a longer period; maybe a second or two and then simply reply on the flash units own speed to capture (and hold) the subject. I've seen it done with film; and I've even seen it work with cameras not having higher speed flash sync speed, yet a longer open shutter - and then the flash synced to even stop a bullet - mid flight
11-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
D0n
Banned

I agree a leaf shutter lens would be awesome.
however there is really very little opportunity to use high speed synch..
anytime I'm outdoors in bright light, when the need for fill arises, a reflector picks up where the flash falls short so the need fo high speed synch really isn't there...
I use powerful studio strobes if I want to overpower the sun while keeping a low iso and smaller aperutre.... I use portable flash units with wider aperutres, and slower shutter speeds, and reflectors for wider aperutres and faster shutter speeds.. seems to work out fine.... hs synch is a gimmick really, anywhere you can use it, a reflector or mirror will work as well.
11-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

D0n, I agree, reflectors certainly are more dependable than finicky HSS flash, but in really bright light, when I have the reflector in position to fill in the shadows, it causes my subjects to squint. I've tried having them open their eyes just a moment before I fire the shutter, but instead of squint, I get a slightly startled expression.

The other thing I adore doing is shooting directly into the sun - stupid, I know - and use the sync speed to underexpose the background about 3 stops. It's great, I get some surreal looking skies. I'll even gel the flash to let's say a full CTB, and shoot with a tungsten white balance, to get that sky's-on-fire look. A 1/1000th shutter speed would be oh-so-helpful.