Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
I'm changing my mind a little on focus peaking. When it comes to text, focus peaking tends to muddy things up a bit at the edges and you don't know for sure whether it's in sharp focus or not. I decided to turn it off and trust my eyes viewing that great lcd in the back. I think it works better for me.
I felt the same way when I tried focus peaking. It's probably fine for those scenarios when you want to take a shot fast using a slow f-stop and it's fine to misfocus by a centimeter or so, but if you want absolute precision, it's more confusing than helpful.

11-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I totally peak when I try to manually focus.
11-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The more I use focus peaking, the more I like it. I can quickly belt off shots with my 500mm mirror lens and they're in focus!! I couldn't do that even with a split prism focusing screen!

I may return my Kx viewfinder screen to stock now. When it comes to manual focusing, I will be using the K-01 from now on

Charles.
11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 is shown so much with the 40mm we forget it looks like a real camera with a beefy lens twisted onto it. Very cool.

11-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
The more I use focus peaking, the more I like it. I can quickly belt off shots with my 500mm mirror lens and they're in focus!! I couldn't do that even with a split prism focusing screen!

I may return my Kx viewfinder screen to stock now. When it comes to manual focusing, I will be using the K-01 from now on

Charles.
THIS is one of the things I bought the K-01 for. I had the Tamron 55b briefly and really really liked the photos I got with it, but on my K10d I got some ferocious eye-strain.

With my K-01, I'm using focus peaking more often than autofocus (both with the 10-17 and with my 100-300) just because it's faster for a quick snap and pegs the focus exactly.

I gotta get my Tammy 55bb and get back to massively awesome city & mountain shots!

Focus peaking - my favorite part of the K-01, absolutely!

ETA: last time I went looking for the 55bb, you could pick them up at several places. Today I see exactly NOTHING. Ak! Where to find one?

Last edited by Ecaterin; 11-28-2012 at 11:05 AM.
11-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I learned something today: I never gave attention to focus peaking, but watched a couple of vids online with the K-01. Very cool. The more I learn about the K-01 the more I like it. I'm jazzed the K-30 had focus peaking too as that's the next camera I'd like to have.
12-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Just wanted to bump this thread, since B&H currently has the 85mm for $239 until Dec. 18.
In case you missed reading about it here.

I don't think I can resist at this price!

12-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #23

I keep focus peaking on all the time, as it gives me an an extra visual of what AF has targeted.

Green button question: I set it to DOF preview, which doesn't seem to do anything different, as you can see DOF when you focus, right? Can someone explain what this does? I liked on the K-r that with optical preview, you could preview the shot with exposure. You can't seem to do that here. I am not sure what else to use the green button for? What does everyone else set it to?
12-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
I keep focus peaking on all the time, as it gives me an an extra visual of what AF has targeted.

Green button question: I set it to DOF preview, which doesn't seem to do anything different, as you can see DOF when you focus, right? Can someone explain what this does? I liked on the K-r that with optical preview, you could preview the shot with exposure. You can't seem to do that here. I am not sure what else to use the green button for? What does everyone else set it to?
Actually you are not seeing the correct DoF, the camera will always have the aperture open to the optimal setting so the screen doesn't get to dark or bright in live view, I also changed the green button to DoF preview...
12-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thinking about getting this for my K-01 and for the Q.