Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

K-01 AF issues

Long shot but I want to issue a quick thread before I return the K-01 just in case I am wrong. Bought a K-01 with the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS lens. Installing the lens on the K-01 all that would show in the display was "MF". Moving the slide switch to "AF" did not make any difference. lens would not AF. No green rectangle was showing on the display. Could not get exposure comp to work and in bright daylight (sun) when trying to take an image the display would show an almost surreal view of what I was trying to photograph. Removed and installed the lens several times to no avail. Installed a DA 35mm f/2.8 macro and AF worked perfectly. Was able to use exposure comp. Cannot comment on the surreal display since I tried this about 11 PM last night. Also mounted a DA 15mm f/4.0 and it worked fine too. Talked to Adorama (where I bought the K-01) and they have told me to return it.

By chance am I missing something that I should try? Lens instructions do not give any suggestions. I really like the K-01 and my concern is returning it may put my back on the back order list.

11-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Twist the lens on a little harder. I've heard reports that the DA 40mm XS is a tight fit.
11-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My 40mm XS was a super tight fit. If I didn't know the white stripe on the lens needs to be at the top, I would have stopped.
11-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
K-01 AF Issues

I will try tightening the lens again. Believe I have it on as tight as it will go. On another forum I got a recommendation to clean the contacts. Another thought since I have a number of primes (what I will use on the K-01) is to send the lens to Pentax for repair or replacement. That way I do not have to return the K-01 to Adorama and run the risk of ending up on a backorder list as I was when I made the initial purchase.

JRB

11-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #5

Same issue here. Trying to get it to autofocus...
11-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
K-01 AF issues

Tonight I also am going to try the 40mm lens on my K-5. If it does not work on that body I will contact Pentax. Hopefully, they will take only the lens and not the K-01 although I bought the lens and K-01 as a package. My main concern is if I return the K-01 to Adorama it will take approximately 11 working days for them to send me a replacement. And, that is if they have any stock. Rumors I have read on this site is the K-01 may be discontinued. I really do like the camera and it is an ideal companion for my K-5.

JRB
11-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #7

I bought mine from Adorama and had just received mine. I played with it and gave up last night. Today I installed the 1.01 firmware and it works. I turned on autofocus zooming, left the switch on auto. Then when switching back from manual lens today(Sears 1.7 50mm), it did it again. I reset settings. Turned on AF/MF settings -> AF autozoom and it didn't work again. I reseated the lens a few times. I noticed a speck of dust and cleaned lens then reseated again, and it worked. Not sure if that was the reason but I am going to pay more attention to the settings and methods I put on new lenses is from now on and read up more since I am fairly new to all these "switching" of lenses. Let me know what you end up finding out.

11-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For anyone who has upgraded the firmware, how are you finding the focus speed and accuracy after the update?

Thanks.
11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
For anyone who has upgraded the firmware, how are you finding the focus speed and accuracy after the update?

Thanks.
The new firmware helps a lot. focus speed is much faster.

As for accuracy, the default multi-point seems to like to focus on stuff in the background. I have turned mine to spot and it nails focus every time.
11-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote

Thanks.
The general consensus is that it is much improved, both in speed and accuracy. It still can't compete with through-the-viewfinder AF on the dSLR,s but it's much better than fw 1.00.
11-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
K-01 AF Issues

QuoteOriginally posted by airjames Quote
I bought mine from Adorama and had just received mine. I played with it and gave up last night. Today I installed the 1.01 firmware and it works. I turned on autofocus zooming, left the switch on auto. Then when switching back from manual lens today(Sears 1.7 50mm), it did it again. I reset settings. Turned on AF/MF settings -> AF autozoom and it didn't work again. I reseated the lens a few times. I noticed a speck of dust and cleaned lens then reseated again, and it worked. Not sure if that was the reason but I am going to pay more attention to the settings and methods I put on new lenses is from now on and read up more since I am fairly new to all these "switching" of lenses. Let me know what you end up finding out.
I completely forgot aabout the updated firmware. I will update but I still think (maybe not correctly) if the lens will not work on my K-5 then it is defecive. I will let you know although it may be tonight or Thanksgiving morning.

Thanks for the reply.
11-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks....I've heard that it had been comparable to the K20D, which is not that great in low lighting. This makes it a lot more compelling then. It's just the lack of an OVF/EVF....

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
The new firmware helps a lot. focus speed is much faster.

As for accuracy, the default multi-point seems to like to focus on stuff in the background. I have turned mine to spot and it nails focus every time.
11-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by airjames Quote
This took a little longer than what I had planned. Installed the 40mm XS lens on my K-5 and it worked fine. Installed another prime on the K-01 and it worked. Put the 40mm XS back on the K-01 and it would not autofocus. Removed the 40mm XS and very slowly reinstalled on the K-01. Turned the lens very slowly clockwise. I did not depress the lens release button. Just before the lens would no longer turn I heard and kind of felt a muted "click". Lens then would autofocus. Removed and reinstalled and AF worked fine. Installed the latest firmware. Just not certain what was happening before since I had previously had the lens turned clockwise as far as it would got. I will be anxious to try out the K-01 on Saturday.
11-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@airjames - did you notice a big improvement in focus speed/accuracy with the firmware update? How good would you say it is now? Thanks.
11-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

@Jim - several other users have reported the same. It's just weird. Although having a nice snug fit isn't a BAD thing...