Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ordered mine from Amazon last night...

I've been waiting patiently to be able to use my Prime shipping, and Amazon finally got one of the K-01's w/40mm XS (black) back in stock last night for the $449 price. I ordered it, and as of this morning they are sold out again (you can get it for $559 from another seller through Amazon).

However, they still have 4 of the body only at $349 in stock as of this writing: Amazon.com: Pentax K-01 16MP APS-C CMOS Compact System Camera [Body] (Black): Camera & Photo

I was kind of hoping for yellow, but they haven't restocked it as yet, and the husband ix-nayed that, saying he did not admire the yellow color (despite being a Bumblebee fan in Transformers. I cannot understand it!) So, basic black it is.

This forum is what finally convinced me to give the K-01 a try. I can see it has quite a following, and I look forward to many discussions and photos long after Pentax has stopped selling "the brick".

ETA: Holy moly, it looks like Amazon does have the yellow (w/40mm lens) back in stock, and is selling it for a whopping $899! This is not a third party seller through Amazon, as I thought, but is from Amazon itself. Misprint? Or will the yellow truly become a collector's item?

11-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your new boring black K-01!
Just kidding, I almost went with the black, but decided on white.
And it's on the big brown truck headed this way today!

I'm a Prime member too, and kept checking on Amazon for a deal, gave up and went with B&H.

Hope to see some of your K-01 photos soon!
11-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "boring black" or "basic black" sounds a lot better if you refer to it as "Classic Black".

The $899 is the 'original' price; when Amazon restocked, they may have chosen/forgotten to set it to the new price.

Enjoy your Classic Black BricK-01!
11-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I wanted boring black, my wife wanted white. I ordered white :-) -- I honestly like the white, but i dont like drawing attention. One of the big reasons i wanted a mirror-less camera

11-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In online photos, the white almost looks like silver. If it really was silver and black, I might have gone for it. I hemmed and hawed about buying the K-01 and had actually decided not to bother until friend and fellow Pentaxian John Flores showed me some of the images he's been getting with the camera. So I ordered one from B&H Sunday night. It'll be an excellent second K-mount body to my K-5. I went for the body-only because I already own all but one of the DA Limited primes (I don't have the 40) as well as the DA 50mm f/1.8. I suspect if I actually want the 40, I'll get the Limited. But I might get the FA 43 Limited as well. We'll see. This should hold me another year or two until the real replacement for the K-5 and/or a different mirrorless camera from Pentax comes out.
11-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
In online photos, the white almost looks like silver.
I've seen that, too. I think it really is a photo of the sliver version instead of the actual white one.

Maybe the sales photos I've seen of the silver one are just the white one, photo-shopped (or vice-versa). Europe got Yellow / Black / Silver; US got Yellow / Black / White, so I can understand some confusion over pictures of "the third one".

I guess all four versions are available in Japan, but where's the pink one?
11-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would love to have the white f2.4 35mm lens for mine, but it's $324 with shipping from an eBay seller in Taiwan.

11-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

In mockery of several review sites, my white K-01 will be known as the Abominable Pentax. I wanted a snow theme; panda and stormtrooper just didn't suit me
11-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
In mockery of several review sites, my white K-01 will be known as the Abominable Pentax. I wanted a snow theme; panda and stormtrooper just didn't suit me
I like it! While I thought 'Stormtrooper' fitted the white K-m/K-x (especially with the white 18-55m), I don't really see it on the white K-r/K-30, and not at all on the K-01. The white BricK-01 has more black than white on the front, so I can see where 'Panda' came from. Maybe it should be "Pandatrooper".
11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I wanted to order from Amazon (Prime member) but they never have the white with 40mm at the $450 price point. Aaaaahhh! So frustrating! My quest to get this camera started on Oct. 26th and even now I still have no idea if I will ever get one...

I'm such a sad panda
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Some day your panda will come, hopefully soon!

Mine came yesterday, and I really like it so far.
Haven't opened the manual yet, but did look up a few things online & PF, like how to delete a single pic (it's the 'on' button for the flash)
My old brain remembers better when I figure out most of the stuff on my own.

I'll start a post later, but for now here it is with a couple of different lens.
The 40mm xs is neat too!

Pentax F 35-70mm

Tamron 28-200mm

Both worked well, and I've only brought the 01 up to my eye maybe 2 times.
11-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #12

I pulled the trigger on the basic black w/kit lens from Adorama as the price became just too good. If you go this route, order the camera package with the accessories; it's the same price as the kit. I just got the camera today... whatta tank! It looks better in "person" than online. More importantly, it takes some real nice pictures. My main purpose for this is as a video camera, and it'll make a great backup to my K-5! Now, I just need to get an LCD screen protector...
11-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Some day your panda will come, hopefully soon!
Thanks for the encouragement. The 35-70 looks good on the K-01.
11-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Robtcorl, that's a nice lookin' pandatrooper! I have an F 35-70 for my BricK-01, too. (I think it looks better on the panda!) I bought it primarily because it focuses quickly. My LCD still gets faceprints from me trying to look through the 'viewfinder'.

Last edited by THoog; 11-21-2012 at 10:45 AM.
11-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the classic black also to be inconspicuous. The body looks fine with the standard kit lens on it, but I would really like to see a version of that lens for the K-01. I personally didn't see the point in the 40mm XS. Take the hood off my DA 40, and you have something barely visible as it is. If you have only one lens snubbed off for a mirrorless cam, the basic kit would seem to be the one to invest in.