Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My impressions of K-01

I have had a K20 for 4 years now, and it has been a great camera (still is).
But, it has limitations (high ISO not great above 800), and I really want something a bit more compact.
Got the K01 - yellow brick a few weeks ago (AU$399 with 18-55DAL lens).
First thing I did is upgraded to the latest firmware before trying it out.
First off, the 18-55 lens is OK for a kit, but I have other better lenses already, so it will go on the market soon, along with the K20.
K-01 compared to K20:
Focus is just as fast and in some circumstances seems a bit more accurate.
Actually, in low light situations it seems to do better than the K20.
IQ is amazing on another level (especially at higher ISO settings).
Ergonomics / handling are a lot different and take a bit of getting used to.
Wit a K20 I am able to get relatively sharp pictures at 1/30 with SR on since the camera is held against the head eye level giving that bit of extra support. With the K-01 it is a different story having to shoot with hands partially or fully extended. That can induce a bit more camera shake during pressing the exposure button, and I get fewer sharp photos at 1/30. I find that I have to be at 1/125 or higher speed to guarantee no blur due to camera shake. I have been trying various methods of handling and found that if I put the strap around the neck, extend the arms so the strap is tight, it gives me more consistent results. I am still experimenting with various combinations of holding and actuating the exposure buttons until I find the one that works best for me.
I find that the K-01 is nicely balanced with the prime lenses and shorter zooms.
I am yet to do a good test with my longer and heavier zooms.
So far I am very pleased with the results and it is definitely a keeper. With a bit more practice and experimentation I expect I will find the best way of handling it without a tripod that will give me most consistent results.
Few of the early samples taken in Geelong:

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
11-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice pics and interesting impressions! Plan on using mostly the DA limiteds if I ever get my K-01 (still backordered).