Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No manual control for M lenses

It's not possible to set the shutter speed when using an M lens. Every position on the mode dial shows "Av" on the screen. This makes my M lenses rather useless. That's the biggest shortcoming I've found. I tried to use my mirror lens to shoot the moon today, and I couldn't manually set the exposure. I had to dial in exposure compensation instead, and it was a big hassle. Is there a way around this, or is it just not something that can be fixed?

Charles.

11-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've got to select M mode- have you tried that?

Here are the full instructions:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, when you are in M mode, you will have to turn off Auto-ISO (that is, select a fixed ISO) for full manual control, because M+AutoISO = TAv mode.
11-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hrm. Well, it's not intuitive. Problem was ISO was set to auto, which then did not allow me to set the shutter speed. The camera acted as if it was in Av mode -- and indeed, whenever I rotated the dial it indicated Av mode on the screen, no matter what it was set to. I set the ISO at 400 and suddenly I could change the shutter speed again.

Charles.

11-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, it can be a pain when you want total control, but it also can be really handy. On M42 lenses, TAv becomes "point and shoot" mode - it's always metering and selecting a useable ISO and shutter speed, so you don't even have to use the Green Button. You can use EV compensation to tweak shutter speed if necessary.
11-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
The green button can be used (when the version 1.01 of the firmware is installed)
11-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enzo Quote
The green button can be used (when the version 1.01 of the firmware is installed)
The green button can be used with any firmware with M lenses...

11-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unless ISO is set to Auto, you mean. Then the green button doesn't do squat.

Also, do note that even with firmware 1.01, "TAv" never appears on the screen. "Av" shows up for all positions on the dial.

Charles.
11-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Green button works nice, but I wish that the rear LCD had a meter though OR the histogram would shift with changing shutter speeds/apertures. That would make the K-01 the king of MF K-mount.