Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2012, 07:52 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another affordable optical viewfinder option for the K-01

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This fellow on Ebay (located in Israel, but the shipping was darned fast) is custom altering/making optical viewfinders at quite a few different focal lengths - for rangefinder cameras, of course. Basically he's masking off exact squares on wider finders - simple and inexpensive and I'd do it myself if I *had* a source for wide finders laying around

Mine came in today (I got an approximate aps-c 14mm finder for the middle of my 10-17 range) and it's quite nice. Nothing fancy, but good clear glass, defined, level - all I need to frame a shot in bright sun (and, of course, at this focal length, I don't even have to double check focus :P). The viewfinder aims just a bit high - I'll probably stick a sharpie dot to define the top of the frame, but all in all very usable.

His prices are crazy reasonable ($20 with only $11 shipping to the US). Definitely worth trying him out. (hilariously, he has a couple of finders marked 'tele-wide' for $53 bucks - I hope they're reeeally nice compared to the tele-wides for $20 :P)

The focal lengths he's offering are:

11-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it. Will order a 28 (mainly for my M8 + CZ Biogon 28/2.8), although on APS-H (M8) it is probably more like 35 . . . . Maybe I ought to get 35. Oops there isn't one. Damn.
11-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice find. Good for the Q/Q10 as well.
11-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I like it. Will order a 28 (mainly for my M8 + CZ Biogon 28/2.8), although on APS-H (M8) it is probably more like 35 . . . . Maybe I ought to get 35. Oops there isn't one. Damn.
Considering he's hand making them, maybe you could drop him a line & request your specific focal length? Couldn't hurt

11-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I stumbled across his auctions when I was looking for cheap OVF solutions. I'm a "close enough is close enough" kind of guy, so once I knew where the Tele-Wide's markings "calibrated" to (using the term extremely loosely), I had everything I needed. Still might get one of the Russian 'turret' finders, tho', just to scare the public.
11-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
Considering he's hand making them, maybe you could drop him a line & request your specific focal length? Couldn't hurt
I just might do that.
11-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got myself a 15!

11-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Because these are intended for rangefinders, I'm assuming these focal lengths are full-frame equivalents, yes?
11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Because these are intended for rangefinders, I'm assuming these focal lengths are full-frame equivalents, yes?
*Yes* - important to figure for

11-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Just got myself a 15!
Excellent! Let us know how yours turns out? So far I'm quite satisfied with mine, however since it's in the middle of the 10-17 zoom range, I can't accurately judge frame accuracy beyond a certain point, yk?

11-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I wouldn't call it affordable but has anyone ever tried the ikodot viewfinders, or any old timers have any knowledge of "sports finders"? I shoot manual focus only currently and I enjoy zone focusing for a lot of my candid street shots and moving subjects, this ikodot looks perfect, especially for those who shoot autofocus, the K-01 has an option to shut the screen off, I do this with my Q and save on the battery, but than again my little Q's screen gets terribly washed out and I haven't had that problem with my K-01 yet, it's why I haven't pulled the trigger on the ikodot.
11-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wanderography - very cool! I had seen a couple of the old sports view finders, frame-types like this one, but they were all pretty big and clunky. This is perfect! Now I want one As much as I like looking through an optical viewfinder...*no* viewfinder is an ideal I aspire to. One reason I like to shoot wide is that I can shoot hyperfocal without looking at the camera at all. This is a really cool interim option, thanks for sharing!!
11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

One reason I like to shoot wide is that I can shoot hyperfocal without looking at the camera at all. This is a really cool interim option, thanks for sharing!!
Thats the reason why I haven't purchased one yet, I've also taught myself to shoot without the need of a VF with all my lenses, even my sonnetar which is 135 on the Q (I even got a 13.5cm OVF for it). But some times its just fun to use a classic style OVF.
11-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent! Let us know how yours turns out? So far I'm quite satisfied with mine, however since it's in the middle of the 10-17 zoom range, I can't accurately judge frame accuracy beyond a certain point, yk?

Will do.

Have not gotten it however.
03-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
I wouldn't call it affordable but has anyone ever tried the ikodot viewfinders, or any old timers have any knowledge of "sports finders"? I shoot manual focus only currently and I enjoy zone focusing for a lot of my candid street shots and moving subjects, this ikodot looks perfect, especially for those who shoot autofocus, the K-01 has an option to shut the screen off, I do this with my Q and save on the battery, but than again my little Q's screen gets terribly washed out and I haven't had that problem with my K-01 yet, it's why I haven't pulled the trigger on the ikodot.
the ikodot looks great. I wonder if the chrome ikodot matches the silver on the black k01...