Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Too much temptation

The temptation was just too great on the Black Friday K-01 specials, so I placed an order with Adorama this morning for the camera with lens at $417.

Five factors made the offer too compelling for me to pass up. First, I want a camera that I can carry around more easily than my K20D. I really believe there are many photo opportunities that I miss by not having my big camera handy all the time. Second, the HDR capability is intriguing and I haven't wanted to do that much HDR in post processing. Having the capability within the camera is a plus. Third, focus peaking looks to be an interesting feature that may be quite valuable. Fourth, I am interested to try my skills at using the movie capabilities. Fifth, the "features" offered in the K-01 like ISO and FPS are superior to what I am accustomed to using.

All together, the temptation is too much to resist.

Oh yea, and Sixth, the price is beyond belief.

Looking forward to posting some pictures when this little beauty arrives.

11-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Wonderfull, enjoy your new toy.
11-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Congrats!
Many of us are finding that resistance is futile.
11-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. I hope it is more than you thought it would be. Enjoy.

11-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Congrats on the purchase

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Rick,
Yours is virtually identical to my reasons for getting the "yellow brick".
The more I use it, the more I like it - this is definitely the bargain of the decade!
It is perfect for using with prime lenses.
Have not touched the K20 since I got theK-01 three weeks ago.
Hope you enjoy using it as much as I do.
11-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VladM Quote
Hi Rick,
Yours is virtually identical to my reasons for getting the "yellow brick".
The more I use it, the more I like it - this is definitely the bargain of the decade!
It is perfect for using with prime lenses.
Have not touched the K20 since I got theK-01 three weeks ago.
Hope you enjoy using it as much as I do.
VladM,

I hauled my K20D to a street art festival today and used the Pentax DA 16-40 mm zoom. I can hardly wait to get the K-01 to see how it handles when using in a similar situation.

With the K20D, grip attached, I get a lot more attention than I expect to receive with the K-01 with the 40 XS lens. Should blend right in with all those smartphone camera users.
11-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rickn Quote
VladM,

I hauled my K20D to a street art festival today and used the Pentax DA 16-40 mm zoom. I can hardly wait to get the K-01 to see how it handles when using in a similar situation.

With the K20D, grip attached, I get a lot more attention than I expect to receive with the K-01 with the 40 XS lens. Should blend right in with all those smartphone camera users.
Street art festivals may be a useful venue for a more inconspicuous camera than a K20d with grip, and the K-01 may be just the ticket. A bit OT, but street art festivals are getting harder and harder to photograph. So many of the artists think you are there to take their photos to steal their ideas. It is really sad, but even if you don't photograph the "art," some of the artists get crazy just seeing a professional-looking camera.

11-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Street art festivals may be a useful venue for a more inconspicuous camera than a K20d with grip, and the K-01 may be just the ticket. A bit OT, but street art festivals are getting harder and harder to photograph. So many of the artists think you are there to take their photos to steal their ideas. It is really sad, but even if you don't photograph the "art," some of the artists get crazy just seeing a professional-looking camera.
Well, "art" and "crazy" go hand-in-hand anyway...

But back to inconspicuous cameras, this is also my argument for non-black dSLRs. The one time I got lectured about 'security concerns' because of my 'professional camera' was with my three-year-old K100D and a kit lens. I'd also have people asking who "I was with" when I was just playing tourist - that never happens with my blue K-30. All I get is eye-rolls from the Canikon crowd, and I'm fine with that.
11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Well, "art" and "crazy" go hand-in-hand anyway...

But back to inconspicuous cameras, this is also my argument for non-black dSLRs. The one time I got lectured about 'security concerns' because of my 'professional camera' was with my three-year-old K100D and a kit lens. I'd also have people asking who "I was with" when I was just playing tourist - that never happens with my blue K-30. All I get is eye-rolls from the Canikon crowd, and I'm fine with that.
We've had posts in the past about non-Black cameras getting past security at concerts too. Form over substance, that's the ticket with protecting people.