Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by suliabryon Quote
I am having the same issues, shooting in jpeg. Here are some random test shots, basically just trying to get the right focus, only thing done to them is resize for posting:

This one was with the 15mm limited, and its the sharpest of the bunch:

All the rest are with the 40mm:

The closer the subject, the better in focus the 40mm seems. I will say this - none of these were taken in the best light, and the camera performs in those circumstances much better than my K7. Also, I really am finding myself a little bit in love with the color the K-01+40mm produces. That last shot of the rib roast is an example of what I mean. The colors just seem more vibrant and sharp than anything my K7 has done. Now, if only I could fix the focusing issues I'm having! It's also really frustrating that the little square focuses where it thinks you want it to, rather than where you want it to. I probably took a dozen shots of Dad on Thanksgiving, and it kept wanting to focus on his arm or the chair, rather than on him. Very frustrating, seems a recipe for missing a lot of shots.
The photos with the 40 all show what looks like significant decentering to me - the smearing along the left edge. It's usually a lens assembly defect where one of the elements is not aligned properly. My Tamron 28-75 is currently being repaired for the same problem.

11-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, looks like a defective lens to me as well.

Charles.
11-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Just did a little test, not worth putting photos up for.

40mm XS is sharper than Tamron 28-75 at f2.8, but by f5.6 the difference is almost negligible, with the nod still going to the 40mm.
50mm f1.7 is sharper than the 40mm at f2.8, and is still sharper at f5.6. The 50mm at f1.7 is not as sharp as the 40mm at f2.8, but that is to be expected.
50mm f1.7 is sharper than the Tamron at all comparable aperatures.

Now, this is pixel peeping. The difference is honestly so small that I consider it negligible. You won't be able to tell the difference even in a large print.

Charles.
11-29-2012, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Here's the 40mm XS and some photos I took this morning. I do believe my copy is pretty sharp. I also believe I like the reversal film color setting...

Charles.

11-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #20

sweet bike charles! if you were in michigan id like to check it out. anyway...

I just got my K01 yesterday, updated the firmware and began shooting. i am really impressed with this camera for the price. While I have not taken a good artistic picture i did do some low light indoor shooting with kit 40mm XS F2.8

3200 iso raw - no post processing

100 iso outdoors - added a tiny bit of contrast

11-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks. I built the bike myself, it's a 1979 Honda CX500 with a 650 motor, GSXR front suspension, custom pipes, and I hacked off the twin shock mounts and welded on a monoshock setup from a GL500, among other modifications. Only thing stock on the bike are the tank and seat.

Charles.
11-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Thanks. I built the bike myself, it's a 1979 Honda CX500 with a 650 motor, GSXR front suspension, custom pipes, and I hacked off the twin shock mounts and welded on a monoshock setup from a GL500, among other modifications. Only thing stock on the bike are the tank and seat.

Charles.
I was way off, i thought it was a strip down late 70s gold wing because of the way the cylinder heads stuck out. still, i love old bikes modernized and really dig the black/gold scheme!

this was my last bike, all stock 09 zx6r.

11-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Goldwing has the cylinder heads at your feet. It's a flat four. This is a moto-guzzi type engine. Honda's only production pushrod twin... and it still spins to 9500rpm. In 1978 shaft drive, water cooling, and tubeless tires on a budget-oriented middleweight was unheard of, so they sold like hotcakes. But I will say, they were pretty ugly back then. Which is why I did my best updating it... was going for a vintage look with enough modern bits thrown in to keep things interesting.

Nice Ninja... I have a 250R sitting in my garage right now, needing a carb rebuild and the tank acid-washed and lined. (Rust rust everywhere). Ran for about an hour before the filter clogs up and I have to drain it... that is, until the paper element in the fuel filter tore, and all that rust went into the carbs. (Friend's bike)

I've got a bunch of motorcycles, but the photos above are of my nicest one.

Charles.

12-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #24

Your right, i just assumed outside the goldwing all the other bikes were inline engines. I also saw the shaft drive, which threw me off. anyway back on topic.

If you suspect there is something wrong with your k01's sharpness try using a tripod, turn on focus peaking and manually focus your subject. If that is sharp, try the same settings but with autofocus on, maybe its back or front focusing...my pentax k200d did that with my sigma 24-70mm F2.8

I am getting some pretty good results at 3200iso shooting raw. This was at a dim light restaurant last night, just wish i was a few inches back and F4 instead of F2.8. Of course about half of my photos are sharp, some i missed the focus or the shutter speed was to low. Doesnt mean there is anything wrong with my camera.

12-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Heh, to take it back off-topic one more time... only Inline fours? Honda had the best R&D department in the 70's and early 80's. They made all sorts of singles and twins in the 70's, then they designed the CBX - inline 6-cylinder, the GL1000 Goldwing (which was never meant to be a touring bike, it was supposed to be a musclebike, a two-wheeled version of a Charger or Camaro), and this CX500 in the 70's. Then in the 80's they created the first production turbocharged motorcycle in the world, and followed that up with the V4 powerplant (all the revs of an inline four, all the torque of a V-twin).

Honda is known (in the 70's and 80's) for their four-stroke engine design. They innovated, they tried new things. Not everything worked, but they were the R&D leaders. Everyone else just played catch-up.

Unfortunately, now it's quite the opposite. They're happy to make money on sportbikes and slow v-twin cruisers and now everyone BUT honda has an interesting motorcycle...

Now to bring it back on-topic, what software would you recommend I use to convert raw to jpeg with better high ISO noise control than the K-01 (or K-x) will do shooitng straight JPEG? Trick is, I don't want to spend a lot...

Charles.