Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #16
Forum Member

I have the cut-down version of this flash (Sigma EF-530 DG ST) and it never worked very well for me on my Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone) - the flash was forever delivering an inconsistent exposure - usually underexposed despite correcting for it as much as I could.

On the K-01 the P-TTL just doesn't work at all, but following some experiments last night (see separate thread) and the comments in this thread I've been trying it again to see what I CAN do with it on the K-01.

I have foiund that I can get consistently accurate flash exposures provided I use the following:

1. Set Camera to M Exposure mode (regardless of lens in use)
2. Set ISO to 100 or 200
3. Set shutter speed to no more than 1/180sec
4. Set power on Flash for the type of environment (the ST version has no LCD and can only be manually set to Low or High).
5. Set Aperture to adjust for exposure.

This last step does of course require a bit of experimentation, but typically I have that sorted after 2 test exposures.

From that point on, minor exposure adjustments using aperture are all that are needed and I get consistent firing of the flash on my K-01. The only time I don't is if I accidentally change the shutter speed to faster than 1/180th sec when of course it won't fire.

Of course - if your subject matter requires precise depth of field this technique may be of no use. But for me - this redundant piece of kit has now found a right to sit in my kit again. I also have an older Sigma EF430 flash that was made for another camera and was only ever able to use that in manual mode, but now I can use the full power capability of the 530 with some degree of consistency.

Neil

02-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #17

Original Poster
The new firmware did not help to resolve the incompatibility with my sigma500. After some thinking, I put some tape over the contacts in the camera hotshoe, and cut away for the middle pin only. Now flash works in perfect in manual mode. Also it's now possible to change settings on the flash when mounted on the camera, like power and other stuff. its a shame that full TTL auto is not working, but now it is possible to use the flash at least.
/over and out.
02-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickenphone Quote
The new firmware did not help to resolve the incompatibility with my sigma500. After some thinking, I put some tape over the contacts in the camera hotshoe, and cut away for the middle pin only. Now flash works in perfect in manual mode. Also it's now possible to change settings on the flash when mounted on the camera, like power and other stuff. its a shame that full TTL auto is not working, but now it is possible to use the flash at least.
/over and out.
Remember, third party flashes have to be reverse engineered by the manufacturer. The camera makers don't publish their specs. Since the K-01 came out after your flash you have a fair chance of the combo not working. The problem is with the flash manufacturer, not Pentax.
02-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #19

Original Poster
Yes that is correct, the flash is old, and third party, It seems like Metz flashes at least have av firmware update for their 48 & 50-AF1, to make them work with K-01.But anyway I can live with manual flashcontrol, better than no flash at all

02-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might consider calling Sigma and see if they offer a bios update for the flash.

Charles.
02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rupi Quote
I have a Metz 48 AF and it works fine in the K-01, direct or bounced, just like it worked in K20D.
I had to update my Metz 48-AF1 firmware to version 4 before it would work properly on the K-01 so there must be something different going on.

Pentax: Metz

Works perfectly now in any mode

Not mentioned but I had the same problem with the Q and it cured that as well.

Chris