Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

external flash problem

Hello there

Has anyone tried to use external flash for K-01 with good results.
I already owned a Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER as I have used both the * ist DL and K20D without problems. But on my K-01 so it will not work properly. The flash will fire short after image capture, or sometimes not at all. This results in dark image, because the camera thinks that the flash will illuminate the subject. I can not change the mode on the flash, when mounted on the camera, but it works to change to manual mode and then mount the flash on the camera again, but it seems that it is always full strength despite setting example. 1/32 strength.

11-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Sigma 610 flash and it works perfectly with my K-01. Are your batteries fresh? There's a preflash and then a flash, this is especially noticeable at slower shutter speeds and rear curtain sync. Also, make sure you're not on continuous shooting (Hi), because it's so fast you may be taking one perfectly exposed picture, and then immediately taking another before the flash can recharge.

Charles.
11-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes battery is OK, flash is working properly on my K20. Also I'm in single shot mode, and no slow sync or other special trics.
The flashlight goes off when the camera has finished capture the image. Maybe the products are incompatible.
I have only tested in AV-mode, but that should work I guess.
11-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I tested in both M and Av and had no issues with my 610. Hope you get it worked out.

Charles.

11-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The biggest external flash problem for me is not being able to use the built-in flash to trigger wireless P-TTL. It is the main way I use P-TTL. For some reason, on just about all of my bodies, wireless P-TTL is the best implementation of that flash control, and I am used to bringing the AF540 fgz along on its little stand. On a smaller body held away from the eyes, having flash off the camera would be even more handy. Oh well, there are always the YN triggers and the Vivitar 283s.
11-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, lack of wireless pttl is rather lame. I don't use it often, but it's pretty schweet when I do. If I need it though, I'll take my Kx instead. The K-01 is not really meant to be that type of camera i think.

That being said, when the flash is attached it is not possible to change the mode to manual, so that's a little annoying. :/

Charles.
11-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
I discovered something, if i select red-eye pre-flash it works. No preflash Will fire but the mainflash works. But the power is stuck at.max, so the exposure is not correct, but its easy to compensate for. So at least it fire : )

11-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenphone Quote
The flashlight goes off when the camera has finished capture the image
Have you set it for second curtain synch?
11-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Yeah, lack of wireless pttl is rather lame. I don't use it often, but it's pretty schweet when I do. If I need it though, I'll take my Kx instead. The K-01 is not really meant to be that type of camera i think.

That being said, when the flash is attached it is not possible to change the mode to manual, so that's a little annoying. :/

Charles.
Not sure what you mean by "that" kind of camera. Wireless P-TTL is about the easiest, lightest most reliable way to use a Pentax flax (IMHO). Set the flash in an unobtrusive spot, aimed at the ceiling or wall, and you have lovely, room-filling bounced light without extra gadgets or brackets. I think it would be perfect for this kind of lighter, just concentrate on the subject, kind of camera.
12-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Have you set it for second curtain synch?
No, is it possible to select that mode if I select red-eye preflash?
12-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenphone Quote
Hello there

Has anyone tried to use external flash for K-01 with good results.
I already owned a Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER as I have used both the * ist DL and K20D without problems. But on my K-01 so it will not work properly. The flash will fire short after image capture, or sometimes not at all. This results in dark image, because the camera thinks that the flash will illuminate the subject. I can not change the mode on the flash, when mounted on the camera, but it works to change to manual mode and then mount the flash on the camera again, but it seems that it is always full strength despite setting example. 1/32 strength.
I have the same Sigma 500 super P-TTL flash that I keep as my backup. It worked fine on my K10 (after a firmware update) and on every Pentax I have owned since then (k20, K7, and now K5).

It does not work correctly on the K-01 I just bought. It behaves as you describe.

My Pentax 540 seems to work fine on the K01, however.

Ray
12-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Sigma 530 Super and it also doesn't work on the K-01. Since alot of the photo I take on the weekends are flash, it's a no starter for me to use the K-01. You would think that Manual would at least work, but it doesn't. A good majority of the time the flash doesn't fire or fires late. I can switch modes with the flash on the camera, but when switch to any other mode, the LCD flashs like crazy.

What flashes works on the K-01?
12-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hyperbole and a Half: The Alot is Better Than You at Everything

Charles.
12-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I have a Sigma 530 Super and it also doesn't work on the K-01. Since alot of the photo I take on the weekends are flash, it's a no starter for me to use the K-01. You would think that Manual would at least work, but it doesn't. A good majority of the time the flash doesn't fire or fires late. I can switch modes with the flash on the camera, but when switch to any other mode, the LCD flashs like crazy.

What flashes works on the K-01?
The lcd screen on my flash behaves the same as yours, if I try to change a setting, it flashes uncontrollably. You can configure the camera to trigger the flash with red-eye reduction option, but the exposure is not correct, it seems like it is full power of the flash always. So if you must ide the flash with the K01, you get to set the flash power manually before you mount it, and then select the red eye.
12-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Forum Member

I have a Metz 48 AF and it works fine in the K-01, direct or bounced, just like it worked in K20D.