Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
owl
Forum Member

My K-5 is in for service so the K-01 gets all of the attention. I love the K-5 and the K-20d before it. It's ergonomics and seriousness thrill me every time I handle it. The K-01 is however fun to use but of limited application. I can't imagine framing quickly enough (let alone focus) at anything moving. The latency is too great and the frame-to-frame speed is pathetic. The live view is fun but not stable enough for long lenses and no where near enough resolution compared to my eye through the view finder (that funny glass rectangle with the floppy mirror thing). Having said all of that, the quirky design has drawn me in. My 15 year old son loves the clean lines. It was made for manual focus primes, the sharper the better since the contrast-detect focus function (auto or peaking) needs high resolution to work, soft lenses tend to be off by a mile where they mght work just fine with phase detect focus confirmation. All in all it is fun so that will likely make me a better photographer when I get the K-5 back and grow tired of its limitations.

Also, at some point my arms will get too short to hold it, not a problem with the SLR.

11-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter

I still use my K-5 for stills for the most part. It has 2 more bits of dynamic range. It may not sound like a lot, but it is. I use my K-01 for video.
11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't touched my K-x since the K-01 arrived. The K01 is MUCH better at gettign stuff in focus the first time, especially at small apertures. I don't have to take six shots of the same subject and choose the one with the best focus... I can just take one shot. Also, my Tamron 28-75 has ZERO back focus problems mounted to the K-01, and my mirror lens is seeing some use now too. Overall, I'm thrilled!

Charles.
11-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
owl
Forum Member

The mirror lens is a good application, I agree. I really do like the manual focus performance, if you have a good enough lens. I think that the mirror lenses have such a narrow DOF that the focus peaking works well even though the sharpness is usually lacking. I can't wait to try it on some bright winter days near a bird feeder, should be fun.

11-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have shot about 50% of my frames with the K-01 since I bought it about 3 months ago. Part of it is the new toy feeling and part is that I like to use it with the shorter lenses. I have used my K-5 30% of the time, mainly with the longer lenses and also when I need a faster frame rate. That leaves 20% for my Q. The Q goes with me in my pocket and gets quite a bit of street use.
12-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm still thinking about pulling the trigger on a Q after Christmas. But all the 8.5mm lenses will probably be gone by then, and I really have no use for the zoom.

Charles.
12-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
Banned

I use a K-01 as a type of everyday camera. Add to that - although it doesn't have the water resistance of the K-5's or K-30 Using the K-01 in an everyday enviroment sure beats having to risk using a Leica or Hasselblad.