Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Just got my k01, first impression

Just shot about 15 photos with my k01 with 40mm xs lens. Very pleased with the camera. Focus peaking is great, I think better then the A77 was using before. Seems very snappy to me and im still on firmware 1.00. Autofocus seems fast, but it misses the subject i was aiming for. I plan on using a lot of manual focus so not a huge issue. Overall build quality seems great, except that rubber flap that covers the memory card. I really doubt im going to miss my sony at all.

About to update the firmware, then a ton of shooting this weekend.

11-28-2012, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy!

Also, rubber flappy door - some people didn't like it because they had trouble getting it back in. Turns out, if you pretend it's a solid door and slide it in from behind, it goes in like a charm.
11-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the cult!

If you haven't already, you may want to change the autofocusing from the default of face-detect to center-point. It seems to be more accurate for non-face work. Also, for the rubber door, once you learn the trick of sliding it in from the rear instead of pushing from the side, it behaves better and you mostly forget that it's there (except when it's time to load/unload the card).

Have fun!

Last edited by THoog; 11-28-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: JinDesu types faster than I do! :)
11-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I dont have any problem getting the rubber door to go back in, it just seems "flimsy" when the rest of the camera feels solid. Im completely impressed with this camera. cant believe how cheap it was.

11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Also, rubber flappy door - some people didn't like it because they had trouble getting it back in. Turns out, if you pretend it's a solid door and slide it in from behind, it goes in like a charm.
That's what I tried doing, treating it like a K-5. In my case it works better just to push straight in with a wiggle, it's fine & minimal hassle.
It truly is a silly-cheap deal right now. Many of us are learning it at a similar pace!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 11-28-2012 at 07:58 PM.
11-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Welcome to the cultt!

Have fun!
A cult... yeah, that's what we are. And I'll bet a few years down the road the K-01 is going to be a cult classic. I wonder if I'll be sorry I got the body only and not the 40mm XS pancake lens. Michael Johnston at the Online Photographer calls it a "crepe" lens because its even thinner than a normal pancake.
11-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
A cult... yeah, that's what we are. And I'll bet a few years down the road the K-01 is going to be a cult classic. I wonder if I'll be sorry I got the body only and not the 40mm XS pancake lens. Michael Johnston at the Online Photographer calls it a "crepe" lens because its even thinner than a normal pancake.
So if Pentax is already a cult, what does that make the K-01? Too bad the Monaghan Cult Classics page is dead -

11-29-2012, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So if Pentax is already a cult, what does that make the K-01? Too bad the Monaghan Cult Classics page is dead -
You're right... a cult within a cult. Kind of like a mystery wrapped inside an enigma. Shouldn't we have a secret handshake or something?
11-29-2012, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're right... a cult within a cult. Kind of like a mystery wrapped inside an enigma. Shouldn't we have a secret handshake or something?
I thought the dress code of "chunky camera, saffron robe, and ironic hipster T-shirt" was giveaway enough...

We need to avoid further subdivision within the cult - it's already bad enough with those "cult-ier than thou" types who insist on referring to the K-01 as "My Precious"...
11-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Shouldn't we have a secret handshake or something?
Great idea, but wouldn't SR negate it?
11-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Got my Pandatrooper today! Couldn't go out and shoot too much but what little I did shoot left me impressed with both the camera and the couple of DA Limiteds I have. I was also quite impressed with the Sigma 16mm f2.8 manual lens I got on eBay. Pictures provided in a hurry by little brother Q.
Attached Images

11-29-2012, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Little Bro did bigger Bro proud, and the fun has just begun!
Congrats on your new 01!
11-29-2012, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! Welcome to the cult! Would you prefer chanting, or non-chanting?
11-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Little Bro did bigger Bro proud, and the fun has just begun!
Congrats on your new 01!
Thanks! Can't wait! Oh and Little Bro always makes everyone proud.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Congratulations! Welcome to the cult! Would you prefer chanting, or non-chanting?
Appreciate it! I always pick Chanting over Non-Chanting. A cult without Chanting is like insanity without the strait-jacket.
11-30-2012, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We do! We Do! .......

"Thumb on the shutter release" grip is a dead giveaway

And since the K-01 is code-named "The Yellow Brick" then there is

Last edited by monochrome; 11-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.