Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Previewing with filters / custom image settings

How much do K-01 shooters preview filtered / custom images on the LCD?

In the past, I've thought of digital filters as a post-processing thing, something I applied after taking a shot (or more likely, something I did on the computer later). Also, because LiveView focusing was slow and a battery killer on my dSLRs, I would use it to take a shot, then turn it off. With the K-01 LiveViewing all the time, I can walk around with it set to monochrome or with a filter applied and just study the world in black and white or whatever - What You See is What You Get. Or, if I find something that I think would work, try a bunch of different angles before I take the shot. This is kind of a lazy way to do pre-visualization, but if nothing else, it seems like a good warm-up when my "photographer's eye" is slow to come online (if it ever has). Maybe this is a "well, duh!" concept to most folks.

We got our first hard freeze last weekend, and the world has turned brown, so I'm going to be shooting a lot more B&W...

Curlycues and Holly (DA 40 Ltd and Auto-Tak 55, respectively).

Last edited by THoog; 12-03-2012 at 06:29 AM.
12-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
...if I find something that I think would work, try a bunch of different angles before I take the shot. This is kind of a lazy way to do pre-visualization, but if nothing else, it seems like a good warm-up when my "photographer's eye" is slow to come online (if it ever has)....
To me this is the absolutely right way to work! Especially if you are in MF mode also. By trying angles and focusing manually, it allows me more creativity in the final shot. AF will pick what is deemed the 'right' focus point, but by watching what focuses at any moment I might find something much more powerful, like two spots in focus at once or - who knows? Lazy is good, and where my creativity really blossoms.

I'm definitely shooting 1:1 in real time instead of cropping later in my K-5, which is nice. The filters had yet to hit my mental radar, but these are inspirational - thanks!
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, nobody? I must be on the cutting edge (or just clueless) Meh, either way is fine.
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I think it is fun to and interesting to play around with. My disappointment is that I can't seem to import them into iPhoto. If I turn it on in the menu > memory it locks up iphoto when it comes to a photo I used a digital filter effect on.