Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
External video microphone suggestions

Since I plan to use my K-01 mostly for video, I have been doing some research on an external mic. Quite an education! It seems as though microphone types mirror (pun intended) lens types for different intended uses (e.g. boom mic more of a "telephoto" compared to a stereo mic, etc.).

In reading some of the posts here, I like the Rode stereo condenser mic. It'll fit my needs to record my wife's bell choir performances, and similar things.

Does anyone know of any other brand stereo mic I should consider around the same price point? (Rode is $250).

After that, I guess at some point I'll be getting a boom mike too. Instead of LBA, it'll be MBA... and not the degree!

12-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

I havent read the other posts but I'll throw in my humble opinion based on a decade in pro sound. YMMV!

The mic and techniques required for music and for dialog are completely different and really require different mics.

In recording music, your mic should be staionary and not moved or re-oriented at all. This makes an onboard mic problematic
since you often want to pan and reposition when capturing musical performances. The mic(s) should be stereo and the pickup pattern
should be sufficiently wide to provide a faithful reproduction of the music and not emphasize those in the direction of the mic.

For dialog, your mic should be picking up what is in your viewfinder and little else. This generally means onboard mono mic
(unless you have a separate boom operator) and shotgun or hyper-cardiod pattern.

Personaly, I would put the $250 for a shotgun mic and then spring another $100-$150 for a cheap field recorder for the choir (sync in post).
Even a cheap field recorder like the DR-05 will very likely provide you with better quality and better control than the K-01 (wish they
had atleast included a VU meter!), and at the same time allow you more freedom to video the choir.

Good luck with your purchase.
12-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamm001 Quote
Personaly, I would put the $250 for a shotgun mic and then spring another $100-$150 for a cheap field recorder for the choir (sync in post).
Even a cheap field recorder like the DR-05 will very likely provide you with better quality and better control than the K-01 (wish they
had atleast included a VU meter!), and at the same time allow you more freedom to video the choir.

Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks for the advice... it never occured to me about having the sound change when panning, but it makes perfect sense. Along your lines, I was also looking at a Zoom H4n as a field recorder. We got one for our son (a music major) several years ago and it's pretty slick...
12-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
Forum Member

first i bought a rode videomic. but i was getting to much noise, and some times i even would get radio signal. I sold it and bought the zoom h2n recorder. you can record stereo sound, 4ch, stereo an MS in two separete channels. you can also plug in a mic through mini jack.