Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LCD "interference" when focusing

When I push the shutter half-way down to focus, in the process the LCD produces horizontal-ish lines (they are not all strictly horizontal) that look like electrical interference or moire. It seems to occur along the edges of objects, and even over something like a cell phone case that is uneven or mottled leather in texture. I have two micro 4/3 cameras and their LCDs do not do that at all. Is this normal for the K-01?

12-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
That is focus peaking, it is a feature, showing you the edges of what is in focus.
12-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
When I push the shutter half-way down to focus, in the process the LCD produces horizontal-ish lines (they are not all strictly horizontal) that look like electrical interference or moire. It seems to occur along the edges of objects, and even over something like a cell phone case that is uneven or mottled leather in texture. I have two micro 4/3 cameras and their LCDs do not do that at all. Is this normal for the K-01?
Lol, yup, that's focus peaking. When you see the white outline, it means it's in focus. You can disable it in the menu, but it's actually a really handy / almost integral feature.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah, that makes sense. My left brain and right brain probably are not working together, since earlier today I went through your suggested settings for a new K-01 and turned on focus peaking. No wonder I only noticed it now!

By the way, I really like the relative simplicity but power of the Pentax menus.

12-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
By the way, I really like the relative simplicity but power of the Pentax menus.
The menus haven't changed much over the years either, I just went from a K100D to a K-5, I felt right at home with the menus.
12-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the menu/interface that Pentax uses. So quick and easy to understand. My brother mostly uses the T3i which he loves but even he said how much better/streamlined the Pentax menus are.
12-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Follow-up: Focus Peaking is actually turned off. I made a quick video that is out of focus but shows clearly what I was trying to describe, visible on the blinds as intermittent horizontal black marks. In real time, it seems like a wave of electronic interference, usually on horizontal surfaces or lines. These occur only as the cameras auto focuses. My other two digital mirrorless cameras do not do this.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  78.9 KB
12-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

happens in fluorescent light sometimes, tv lighting, a lot of lighting outside of stores and resteraunts in big cities, it has to do with the flickering of the fluorescent light that happens to fast for the human eye to see but your camera can pick it up. I used to have a bunch of examples but I cleaned up my flickr, for the longest I didnt have a clue what was causing it as I like to shoot at night a lot and some city lights would cause the lines...

12-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
happens in fluorescent light sometimes, tv lighting, a lot of lighting outside of stores and resteraunts in big cities, it has to do with the flickering of the fluorescent light that happens to fast for the human eye to see but your camera can pick it up. I used to have a bunch of examples but I cleaned up my flickr, for the longest I didnt have a clue what was causing it as I like to shoot at night a lot and some city lights would cause the lines...
I just tried it in incandescent light, and it does the same thing. However, when trying it with another camera, that camera also had the momentary "interference," it was just more difficult to notice because the autofocus is faster.

Last edited by Elliot; 12-06-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Update