Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got my K-01 4 days ago

And I love it. I have a K-5 and was debating whether or not I should upgrade to one of the K-5 II. But when the price came down on the K-01 I jumped at it. It's light, responsive, impressively artifact free in low light and fits my small hand perfectly. I've been shooting with my two primes, SMC Pentax FA 50mm F1.4 and SMC Pentax DA 40mm F2.8 Limited (I know they are not that far apart - one was a present), haven't tried any of my zooms yet as the prime images are so sharp. The fog, me with new camera and cadillac hood ornament (cropped the last to improve composition) were taken with the 50mm. The 40mm lens was used for Alice and the Jabberwock as was the photo of the dancing figures on my Menora. Both were taken in my living room with ambient light (only one light on, on the other side of the room). There's no noise on Alice, and an acceptable (for me) amount in the background on the Menora photo.

Focus is easy fast and accurate, anti-shake works beautifully (I tend not to use flash), size and weight are just right for me. This Pentax is solid. I'd gotten a point and shoot Leica V-Lux 3 (with a 24X zoom) for a smaller camera-it feels plastic compared to the Pentax K-01 and doesn't focus as fast or as accurately. I also like that the Pentax K-01 is making me take different photos, since I must move to where the picture is instead of just zooming in. And, since I'm not tied to holding it to my face, the angles are now different. I'll be considering other primes to buy for this camera, there's a "suggested" list around here somewhere.

So if there's a cult, I'm in (chanting division...)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo     
12-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the new camera. Very glad that the K-01 is working so well for you.
12-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Very nice! My new one is supposed to arrive tomorrow!
12-02-2012, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Congrats for the new camera. The K-01 is a great little camera.

I love your 3rd shot. Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

12-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the new K-01. I've had mine for a few weeks now, and enjoy it a lot. The K-01 IS fun to use. The images do not disappoint. The Mark Newson design is an instant classic. My only problem was with screen glare in the bright desert sunlight out here in Palm Springs CA. This past weekend I purchased one of those HoodLoupe gadgets and it works great for outdoors on sunny days. Now my life is perfect. Well...umm.
12-02-2012, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-01 is great and I agree that it is a fun camera. Not quite as much fun as the Q but definitely a worthy big brother. I sometimes carry both with me.
12-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd be tempted by one of these as a backup body. Although perhaps a second hand K5 would be better due to PDAF availability.
12-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
I love my K01 too, just wish it was a tad more thin.

12-03-2012, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing the great pictures. I just acquired a K-01 and am very happy with the camera. It's fun to use with manual focus lens using focus peaking. I'm also impressed with the build quality and low light performance. The camera has character - perhaps knowing that it's not a perfect machine makes it more fun.
12-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Going to Philly tonight with some members of the Delaware Photographic society to photograph the sunset, dusk, and dark from various vantage points. I'll be taking my K-01 and my K-5 with a couple of lenses. I'll get back here with some results tomorrow.
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad you're enjoying your K-01 - and a Black copy, to boot (as is mine).
12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lebjohnson Quote
Going to Philly tonight with some members of the Delaware Photographic society to photograph the sunset, dusk, and dark from various vantage points. I'll be taking my K-01 and my K-5 with a couple of lenses. I'll get back here with some results tomorrow.
Looking forward to checking out your shots!
12-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Forum Member

I just ordered a white body from B&H tonight.

Rick
12-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick in Ohio Quote
I just ordered a white body from B&H tonight.

Rick
Great - I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
12-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Philly with photos

It was a very interesting evening. The sunset was a bust - cloudy enough so that there wasn't much color, but the city is dramatic after dark. Interestingly, I found myself using live view with the K-5 more than I have, instead of looking through the view finder, K-01 habits seem to be carrying over. All of the attached photos were taken hand held, sometimes leaning against a sturdy object. A kind soul lent me a tripod, but it drove me nuts, I move around too much, haven't learned how to use one properly, I guess. The first two photos were taken with the K-01 and the third with the K-5. I didn't use the same lens (I probably should have-my bad). I had my Pentax FA 50mm F1.4 on the K-01 (it balances well) and my Tamron SP 24-135MM F3.5-5.6 on the K-5 (my currentl walking around lens for the K-5-heavy but versatile, unbalances the K-01). The two photos of the bridge were taken 4 minutes apart (the K-5's clock was on Paris time) and the differences in sharpness may be due to operator error, different lenses (I really should have used the same one on both, but the air was damp and I didn't want to open the cameras) and traffic vibration on the bridge I was standing on. The only problem I had with the K-01 was the red button which is programmed to take movies if you bump it, which I found easy to do. I will need to program it to something else. I still love the K-01-it's light, flexible and is teaching me to see differently. It has become the camera in my purse so I'm not without one.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo   

Last edited by lebjohnson; 12-04-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: bad grammar and reason for not using the same lens on both cameras