Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I must say, I really love my photojojo strap. It's small, it's comfortable, and it's a nice tan leather color. That pentax strap looks great for a k-5, but it's waaaaaaay too big for a k-01.

Charles.

01-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I must say, I really love my photojojo strap. It's small, it's comfortable, and it's a nice tan leather color. That pentax strap looks great for a k-5, but it's waaaaaaay too big for a k-01.

Charles.
Well, although I love my Pentax strap I can see your point. Haha, in fact I just ordered a photojojo strap!
If I like that one, I'll likely end up ordering another for my 2nd K-01. OMG, I hope I don't buy a 3rd K-01 (I like the white one now )...
01-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #33
Forum Member

I would strongly suggest this one :
OP/TECH USA Cam Strap-QD (Black) 1801021 B&H Photo Video
OP/TECH USA Cam Strap-QD (Black)
Price: $8.95

and this bag (for a camera with a pan cake lens) :
Pentax PTX-L80 Soft Leather Case 85164 B&H Photo Video
Pentax PTX-L80 Soft Leather Case - for Pentax Optio MX or MX4 Digital Cameras
Price: $9.95
01-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The op/tech is a wrist strap, not a hand strap. I'd use one of those on a Q, but not on the larger K-01. I have the Optio bag, and it's fine for the K-01 with pancake, but as I find myself using the pancake less and my 50mm more, I've found it's actually a pretty good bag for the Q as well. It fits the Q, one extra lens, two or three batteries, and several memory cards quite easily.

Charles.

01-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #35
Site Supporter

The Photojojo strap arrived today, and I had to decide which K-01 to use it on. Aarrrgg! The bottom plate is high quality aluminum and very nicely finished in black. Figuring out how to attach the Photojojo strap correctly was a little tough, but I finally got it right. I find that with this strap, it is best to cinch it fairly tight so that I use my thumb on the shutter button (seems the best way to use a K-01, anyway). It is still very possible to drop the camera, should you release your grip, but the strap is nice, soft leather, very well padded, and definitely assists in the process of getting a stable shot. I ended up attaching it to my yellow K-01, and it looks good. Now off to do some shooting with it to see if I want to buy another one!
One note- this strap is totally different from the Pentax leather wrist strap. While the Pentax strap is larger and may look out of place on these cameras (not sure about that point), it is definitely more secure, because with the Pentax strap you can let go of the camera completely and it will stay attached to your wrist.
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With the photojojo strap I can let the camera hang from my fingers, I don't have to keep a death grip on the thing all the time. It's not coming out of my hand unless I completely let go.

I keep my strap a little looser, and shove it to the back of my hand, where my hand meets my wrist. With that setup, I cannot accidentially drop it, yet it's also still comfortable.

Charles
01-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #37
Site Supporter

With the photojojo strap I can let the camera hang from my fingers, I don't have to keep a death grip on the thing all the time. It's not coming out of my hand unless I completely let go.
I'm interested in this strap, can you tell me if the k-01 battery compartment is accessible with the bottom plate on?
02-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup, it sure is. The bottom plate is asymettrical, so you can attach it so it covers teh battery door, or flip it around so it doesn't. In the picture above I have it flipped so it does cover the door, but I later fixed it so it doesn't, and i like it even better now

Charles.

02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Yup, it sure is. The bottom plate is asymettrical,
Thanks, now I'm debating on this one or the Herringbone Heritage strap on ebay. About the same price but I'm leaning toward the Herringbone because it comes in black. They look remarkably similar.
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The photojojo strap is a "Ciesta" brand hand strap, and comes in tan, black, red, purple, green, pink, dark brown, and black with red stitching. Photojojo only carries the tan color, though.

Charles.
02-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

DIY El cheapo wrist strap

This is something I threw together that might be useful for the DIYers, cheapskates , or anyone who would like to try one-handed shooting but aren't sure if they want to buy a real handstrap (or needs a wriststrap in a hurry). It takes about five minutes to make, costs about fifty cents, and comes in any color of the rainbow.

The materials:
One 45"/114cm flat shoelace. The one pictured is really cheap, hence the snags. It is nice and soft, and is proper Pentax red-and-black.

The procedure:
1) Tie the ends of the shoelace together, making a big circle that flattens out to about 40"/102cm long. You can cut the ends off, do macrame, or whatever.
2) Pinch one end of the strap and slide it through the strap lug on the camera, then thread the other end through that loop. Pull tight.
3) Stick your hand into the strap, then wrap it around your wrist about three times, and adjust so that you can reach the shutter button and there's some slack across the back of your hand.

Of course, you could just loop the neck strap around your wrist, but when I've done that, the end going to the left strap lug always gets in the way. I was trying to figure out how to make a slide to tighten the strap around my wrist, when I realized that the "wrap three times" method is simpler and actually more secure because it's self-tightening if you drop the camera.
03-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I went with Clik cinch strap. I didn't care for the looks at first but after I gave it a try, I really liked it. Makes the camera feel very secure and is easy on the wrist. I'm still not crazy about the color but it works.

I used a Hakuba wrist strap for years on my *ist DS and haven't felt a need to ever go back to neck straps.

Last edited by Rob22315; 03-06-2013 at 01:45 PM.
03-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Here's a photo of the Clik wrist strap.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
03-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #44

K-01 with Crumpler noose

I bought a Crumpler noose red/black for my K-01.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-PL2  Photo 
03-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Opteka GS-2

Is anyone using one? I'm thinking I'd really like one for mine, because it doesn't easily hang from my fingers like my K-x does, and I don't want to put a regular strap on it either. Is there one out there that fits and works nicely, but won't break the bank?

Charles.
I am experimenting with an Opteka GS-2 from 47th St. photo. $8.95 and I think the shipping is free. Seems OK and the leather is comfortable. I open the bottom strap, put my hand in, then tighten the bottom strap. The top strap is tied to the camera. The bottom plate allows for my RC-4 quick release to screw into the bottom. Of course, it is made in China, plastic and nylon and not indestructable. So far so good.

The left-side key ring on the camera is for a traditional neck strap if I want to use one.

YMMV......

Last edited by goldenarrow; 08-26-2014 at 08:32 PM.