Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pemberton BC
Posts: 238
Vanity Fair on the K-01

Saw this posted over at DPR:

Price Drop Jaw Drop | Vanity Fair

12-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,545
Thanks for the link - J
12-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
Thanks! I especially like this quote, which kind of sums up my feelings on the K-01:

"I kind of want one, even though I can't justify it, but, really, what digital camera purchases can be justified?"
12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
New Member
taliesin's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: chardon, oh
Posts: 3
good read, thank you. i very much like james wolcott and his article led to this one
Camera Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop worrying About the Sensor and Love the Camera by Craig Litten | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

12-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
of course now I am tempted by the Nikon V1, for $299. what fast autofocus!
12-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
of course now I am tempted by the Nikon V1, for $299. what fast autofocus!
I read that Nikon V1 use a hybrid focus that combines both phase-detection and contrast-detection capability from the imaging sensor.Can it be quicker than DSLRs that use phase-detection only?
12-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,486
QuoteOriginally posted by lucidus Quote
I read that Nikon V1 use a hybrid focus that combines both phase-detection and contrast-detection capability from the imaging sensor.Can it be quicker than DSLRs that use phase-detection only?
It's hard to make a fair comparison. The V1 uses a much smaller sensor with a greater depth of field, meaning it doesn't have to focus as accurately, taking less time. A lot of AF speed is determined by the software and the processor that runs it. The V1 might be faster than some older, slower dSLRs, but probably isn't inherently faster than all dSLRs using PD only.
12-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 573
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The V1 might be faster than some older, slower dSLRs, but probably isn't inherently faster than all dSLRs using PD only.
Having used on extensively, and talked to others that own it and higher end Nikon's it's faster than any entry level dslr and you really need to get to the 7d or D300 and up level before it gets beat consistently.

Here are a couple good links on usability that speak to usability and AF. That said, I have a K-01 on the way.

Camera Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop worrying About the Sensor and Love the Camera – by Craig Litten | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Rob Galbraith DPI: Impressions of the Nikon 1 system

12-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
Vindemiatrix's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: las vegas
Posts: 209
why does the article say that the k02 has been anounced?
12-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,486
QuoteOriginally posted by Vindemiatrix Quote
why does the article say that the k02 has been anounced?
I think you misread. The Vanifty Fair article describes the K-01 as "... a camera that might be a one-off, a corporate experiment that didn't pay off. As is apparently the case. No K-02 has been announced and the price of the original has plunged into the lower $400 range." (emphasis mine)
12-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
Vindemiatrix's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: las vegas
Posts: 209
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think you misread. The Vanifty Fair article describes the K-01 as "... a camera that might be a one-off, a corporate experiment that didn't pay off. As is apparently the case. No K-02 has been announced and the price of the original has plunged into the lower $400 range." (emphasis mine)
lol I read and re-read. I must be tired.
I am trying to convince myself to buy it from b&h
12-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,182
QuoteOriginally posted by Vindemiatrix Quote
lol I read and re-read. I must be tired.
I am trying to convince myself to buy it from b&h
Oh, go ahead and order it. You know you want it. I already had the DA 40 Limited, so I got the body only. Looking at your signature, I say you should go for the kit with the DA 40 XS. If nothing else, it's a cheap ticket to a second body with K-5 image quality. But, I'm telling you, many won't understand or believe this, but the K-01 is tons of fun with small primes on it. Just like the tiny Q is a blast. Both cameras have brought a lot of good, old-fashioned fun back to photography.
12-12-2012, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Member
Vindemiatrix's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: las vegas
Posts: 209
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Oh, go ahead and order it. You know you want it. I already had the DA 40 Limited, so I got the body only. Looking at your signature, I say you should go for the kit with the DA 40 XS. If nothing else, it's a cheap ticket to a second body with K-5 image quality. But, I'm telling you, many won't understand or believe this, but the K-01 is tons of fun with small primes on it. Just like the tiny Q is a blast. Both cameras have brought a lot of good, old-fashioned fun back to photography.
I just ordered it. I am an official pentax whore now.
12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,182
Congratulations! You have now been absorbed into the Cult.
12-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 43
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It's hard to make a fair comparison. The V1 uses a much smaller sensor with a greater depth of field, meaning it doesn't have to focus as accurately, taking less time. A lot of AF speed is determined by the software and the processor that runs it. The V1 might be faster than some older, slower dSLRs, but probably isn't inherently faster than all dSLRs using PD only.
The V1 is actually faster than everything I've seen. It's ridiculously quick. Much faster than DSLR's (D4, 1DX included).

It's less good in low light as it falls back to one method of focus and slows down and hunts. In good light it's unbeatable. You have to try it - definitely a glimpse of the future.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
drop, k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, vanity
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate the rubber lens cap on the K-01 7samurai Pentax K-01 4 11-19-2012 09:52 PM
Focus on the K-01 sworks Pentax K-01 2 04-30-2012 05:05 PM
My first impressions on the K-01 RJSPBR Pentax K-01 58 04-05-2012 09:28 PM
Tiger Woods on cover of Feb. Vanity Fair jogiba General Talk 15 01-05-2010 02:38 PM
Levi Johnston's Vanity Fair article deadwolfbones General Talk 25 09-27-2009 01:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top