Saw this posted over at DPR:

Price Drop Jaw Drop | Vanity Fair

12-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the link - J
12-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks! I especially like this quote, which kind of sums up my feelings on the K-01:

"I kind of want one, even though I can't justify it, but, really, what digital camera purchases can be justified?"
12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good read, thank you. i very much like james wolcott and his article led to this one
Camera Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop worrying About the Sensor and Love the Camera – by Craig Litten | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

12-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

of course now I am tempted by the Nikon V1, for $299. what fast autofocus!
12-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
of course now I am tempted by the Nikon V1, for $299. what fast autofocus!
I read that Nikon V1 use a hybrid focus that combines both phase-detection and contrast-detection capability from the imaging sensor.Can it be quicker than DSLRs that use phase-detection only?
12-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lucidus Quote
I read that Nikon V1 use a hybrid focus that combines both phase-detection and contrast-detection capability from the imaging sensor.Can it be quicker than DSLRs that use phase-detection only?
It's hard to make a fair comparison. The V1 uses a much smaller sensor with a greater depth of field, meaning it doesn't have to focus as accurately, taking less time. A lot of AF speed is determined by the software and the processor that runs it. The V1 might be faster than some older, slower dSLRs, but probably isn't inherently faster than all dSLRs using PD only.

12-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The V1 might be faster than some older, slower dSLRs, but probably isn't inherently faster than all dSLRs using PD only.
Having used on extensively, and talked to others that own it and higher end Nikon's it's faster than any entry level dslr and you really need to get to the 7d or D300 and up level before it gets beat consistently.

Here are a couple good links on usability that speak to usability and AF. That said, I have a K-01 on the way.

Camera Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop worrying About the Sensor and Love the Camera – by Craig Litten | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Rob Galbraith DPI: Impressions of the Nikon 1 system
12-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

why does the article say that the k02 has been anounced?
12-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vindemiatrix Quote
why does the article say that the k02 has been anounced?
I think you misread. The Vanifty Fair article describes the K-01 as "... a camera that might be a one-off, a corporate experiment that didn't pay off. As is apparently the case. No K-02 has been announced and the price of the original has plunged into the lower $400 range." (emphasis mine)
12-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #11

I think you misread. The Vanifty Fair article describes the K-01 as "... a camera that might be a one-off, a corporate experiment that didn't pay off. As is apparently the case. No K-02 has been announced and the price of the original has plunged into the lower $400 range." (emphasis mine)
lol I read and re-read. I must be tired.
I am trying to convince myself to buy it from b&h
12-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vindemiatrix Quote
lol I read and re-read. I must be tired.
I am trying to convince myself to buy it from b&h
Oh, go ahead and order it. You know you want it. I already had the DA 40 Limited, so I got the body only. Looking at your signature, I say you should go for the kit with the DA 40 XS. If nothing else, it's a cheap ticket to a second body with K-5 image quality. But, I'm telling you, many won't understand or believe this, but the K-01 is tons of fun with small primes on it. Just like the tiny Q is a blast. Both cameras have brought a lot of good, old-fashioned fun back to photography.
12-12-2012, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Oh, go ahead and order it. You know you want it. I already had the DA 40 Limited, so I got the body only. Looking at your signature, I say you should go for the kit with the DA 40 XS. If nothing else, it's a cheap ticket to a second body with K-5 image quality. But, I'm telling you, many won't understand or believe this, but the K-01 is tons of fun with small primes on it. Just like the tiny Q is a blast. Both cameras have brought a lot of good, old-fashioned fun back to photography.
I just ordered it. I am an official pentax whore now.
12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Congratulations! You have now been absorbed into the Cult.
12-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #15

It's hard to make a fair comparison. The V1 uses a much smaller sensor with a greater depth of field, meaning it doesn't have to focus as accurately, taking less time. A lot of AF speed is determined by the software and the processor that runs it. The V1 might be faster than some older, slower dSLRs, but probably isn't inherently faster than all dSLRs using PD only.
The V1 is actually faster than everything I've seen. It's ridiculously quick. Much faster than DSLR's (D4, 1DX included).

It's less good in low light as it falls back to one method of focus and slows down and hunts. In good light it's unbeatable. You have to try it - definitely a glimpse of the future.