Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The other really nice thing is that the K-01 is not nearly as intimidating looking as a K-x. If I shoot random people on the street, or children, I get strange looks from people when I use a "pro" looking camera. the K-01 in black looks like an old vintage camera at first glance (and the yellow one looks like a toy), so I don't get that so much. More often now... people SMILE at me instead of giving me the stink eye.

I wanted the K-30 as well, but the price on the K-01 was too good to pass up, and the K-01 won't be around forever. The K-30 (or a newer model) will always be there for purchase. And the K-30 prices are still coming down...

Charles.

Last edited by ChopperCharles; 12-13-2012 at 09:14 AM.
12-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I wanted the K-30 as well, but the price on the K-01 was too good to pass up, and the K-01 won't be around forever. The K-30 (or a predecessor) will always be there for purchase. And the K-30 prices are still coming down...
Yes, all true. I may well follow your approach on this. There I go again, teetering back towards buying the K-01!
12-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
people SMILE at me instead of giving me the stink eye.
THAT's what Pentax should have pushed in marketing the K-01 - the anti-stinkeye coating!
12-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Yes, all true. I may well follow your approach on this. There I go again, teetering back towards buying the K-01!
I already tried this once (on someone else), but I don't think it worked...

<The bad little THoog, dressed in black, on your left shoulder> "Go on... Get it... You KNOW you want to..."

<The good little THoog, dressed in white, on your right shoulder, looks up from searching eBay for small lenses> "What? Sorry, I wasn't listening. Uh, yeah, go ahead - wait, what was the question???"

12-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

What's crazy is that all this deliberation is over $317. I have spent much more than that on many occasions in acquiring my lenses, without nearly as much back and forth debate. But another reason is that because I already spent a lot of money on lenses over the past year, now I don't have much spare cash lying around...

plus as I already said, what's really holding me from pulling on the trigger is the judgment from my wife. We're kind of tight on money as it is, so if a package from B&H arrives at our door, she'll be giving me "the look." If I wasn't married and didn't have to defend my purchases to anyone, I would have gotten the K-01 months ago...
12-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm, I have the luxury of no kids and no Project Manager, so I can't advise on that one. I don't think the K-01's anti-stink-eye properties are that effective.
12-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

lol seventysixerfan, you are in so much pain.. you will have to buy a K-01 eventually, to finish off the cognitive dissonance..
12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I don't think the K-01's anti-stink-eye properties are that effective.
LOL!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
you are in so much pain.. you will have to buy a K-01 eventually, to finish off the cognitive dissonance.
Don't I know it!! I should just place my order right now and stop wasting all of your time in trying to convince me... I'm convinced! I'm convinced!

12-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Order it from amazon instead, and then she'll have no idea it's not a gift for her

Charles.
12-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Order it from amazon instead, and then she'll have no idea it's not a gift for her
it's sad, but I already thought of doing that. but even if I could sneak the package by her, how do I hide the fact that I am using a bright yellow camera? She's not that dumb. And even if I got the black K-01, I think it looks different enough from my K-x that she'll raise questions. She certainly will notice that I'm not putting the camera up against my eye anymore.
12-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

She certainly will notice that I'm not putting the camera up against my eye anymore.
Uhhhhhh... you upgraded the firmware so that LiveView works a lot better? And for some reason, it turned the grip yellow?
12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Uhhhhhh... you upgraded the firmware so that LiveView works a lot better? And for some reason, it turned the grip yellow?
sneaky, sneaky! I like the way you think!
12-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
sneaky, sneaky! I like the way you think!
Pardon me for butting in... May I suggest it IS a gift for HER?
12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

So, the only real issue I have with the K-x is low-light focusing. Everything else is stellar. But my K-x can focus in near darkness, especially if I have a Sigma flash attached to the hot shoe (It throws out a nice red focus assist beam). The K-01 cannot focus at all under conditions the K-x has no problems with.

But then, the K-01 has no problems achieving perfect focus the first time, whereas the K-x has problems with that even in bright daylight.

So I end up using the K-x for night shooting, even though the K-01 has a much better sensor.

It's really embarassing to hand your Canon buddy your rad new K-01, and he's unable to get a focus lock...

It would be really, REALLY nice if Pentax updated the BIOS so that the K-01 will use my external flash's focus assist beam, instead of the K-01 beam.

Charles.