Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

K-01 as main camera

I currently have a K-x, I am thinking of upgrading. I don't know if I should wait and save up for a K30 or get a K-01?

Does anyone here use the K-01 as a main camera? How does it fare, is the lack of OVF an issue?

Thanks,

12-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well at the moment I have also K-5 and K-5 II, but I use my K-01 a lot and for all sorts of things. So if people can live with any P&S or iPhone then you can live with just a K-01 and have very impressive Images.
12-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that would depend on whether you want to pay extra for OVF, WR, and PD AF. If you shoot fast action or in very low light situations, in poor weather conditions (and have WR lenses), then the K-30 might be the better choice. But if you get the K-01 you will be happy with it. I have a K-r and K-01, and I prefer the output I get from the K-01 most of the time. For general use its a great camera. Check out some sample photos taken with K-01 on these forums, you'll be impressed
12-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-01 as my backup but with new-toy syndrome it has received the most attention the past month or so. If you want fast, this isn't it - slower cdAF, FPS in raw burst mode, and with fewer controls on the body you work harder to get a custom shot. For everything else I've enjoyed it a lot, and I have barely touched video or many other features. If you're an old-lens, manual focus shooter the peaking is very effective; for that matter cdAF is slower but can nail very dim shots.

I like playing too much in the rain for it to be my only camera, but it's very capable. The VF issue is less important than I expected, but I use light lenses so holding a big camera further away isn't an issue. Likewise the rubber flap isn't a big deal to me.

More thoughts here on my blog.

12-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Compatibility with all my 'K' mount lenses is a huge plus. More options on video than my K-5. That said, the lack of RAW bust mode is a pity. As a backup camera, it's nice at the current price. As my main camera, I dont think so.. f I were trying to shave a few bucks, I would go for the K-30.
12-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Compared to the K-x, the K-01 is an improvement in LiveView focusing, video quality, and image size/quality (the K-x is no slouch!), but you give up enough in
focusing speed that it might be more of a side-grade than upgrade. The K-30 really is an upgrade compared to the K-x. I really like my K-01, but if I were going to, say, the zoo or a sporting event, with a long zoom and moving subjects - I'd rather take any of my dSLRs, even the istDS.
12-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Well I'm busy with preparing a solo photo-excibition that is in my town from 23/1 to 29/3 in our townhouse. It's about womenssoccer and I'm now coming in the fase for selecting images. So up till now I selected 9 images made with my K-01 to be in the excibition, so the camera can do stuff!.
12-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #8

I find framing with the lcd works better for what I shoot.

12-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
you give up enough in
focusing speed that it might be more of a side-grade than upgrade.
Yep. this is my current thinking on this-- I will get a K-01 to complement my K-X, not replace it entirely. I think if I had a K-01, I would have reason to use both bodies for different purposes. If I got a K-30 now, I'd have to sell my K-x or probably find that I never have much reason (or want) to use my K-x. A K-01 at the current low low price is a cheap way to stave off my CBA for at least another year, and maybe in 2014 or even 2015, I can invest in a WR camera body...
12-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will hold out for a K30
12-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Yep. this is my current thinking on this-- I will get a K-01 to complement my K-X, not replace it entirely. I think if I had a K-01, I would have reason to use both bodies for different purposes. If I got a K-30 now, I'd have to sell my K-x or probably find that I never have much reason (or want) to use my K-x. A K-01 at the current low low price is a cheap way to stave off my CBA for at least another year, and maybe in 2014 or even 2015, I can invest in a WR camera body...
This is exactly my reasoning, I was going to get a K30 and leap up from my K100D but at these prices I couldn't resist and with the prices and competition I think we'll be getting a lot of DSLR camera for the money in a year or two, with the K-01 I don't need another upgrade for a long while.
12-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just recently got a K-01, and I was in the same boat as you - I had just a K-x previously.

So.... the image quality compared to the K-x is astounding. The focusing on the K-01 is significantly slower than the K-x, especially in low light. Unless you're shooting sports, it's not a big deal. What is really amazing though is the focus accuracy. I find I will take a LOT of photos with the K-x, because I'm never sure if the shot I just took will be in focus or not. With some lenses, the K-x has reasonably accurate focus... with others, not so much. (Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for instance). But even so, I take the shotgun approach to photography with the K-x.

The K-01 is a different beast altogether. The focus accuracy is spot on. I frame a shot, take a photo, and move on. I have every confidence that shot is in focus, I don't even have to zoom in and review it. K-01 seems to have better exposure as well, it doesn't blow out highlights as much as the K-x.

The live view on the K-01 also makes manual focusing a breeze. So much so, that I'm removing the catz eye split prism focusing screen from my K-x, and going back to the stock screen. If I need manual focus, I'll grab the K-01.

The K-x does some things better. Sports photography is the main one. If I'm going to the race track or photographing a ballroom dance event, I take the K-x. Even though the K-01 is better in low light, the K-x just lends itself better to dance and sports photography. Same with stage performances -- I take the K-x. The shutter is loud, but that's better than having that bright screen for everyone behind you to get pissed about.

But.... for the most part, the K-01 is now my primary camera, and the K-x my secondary. I absolutely LOVE the K-01.

Charles.
12-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
SHF

K-01.....Me too!

I have just purchased a K-01 to "supplement" my k-x as the current run-out pricing makes it very attractive to do so.

Still very happy with the k-x and yet to use the K-01 as it is supposed to be a christmas present! I bought body only as there was a great deal here in Oz and I already have several lenses including the DA 35 f2.4 which is close in terms of focal length, even though it is not a pancake. So it wont be as compact but looks very sweet on the camera, less toy-like and so retro it almost looks like it was made by Braun in the 1970's! By coincidence I've noticed that the 35mm lens is shown on the camera on the wikipedia page for the K-01.

Pentax K-01 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Planning to use the prime and an ultra wide on the K-01 and tele and zooms on the k-x, due to the factors others have noted regarding the former's AF speed and lack of a viewfinder. But of course will experiment along the way, and looking forward to trying more HD video and just getting more ready use of the different lenses without having to swap them over.

But I might still look out for a 40mm XS in due course if someone is splitting it from a kit.....(pm me!)

S
12-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
the image quality compared to the K-x is astounding. The focusing on the K-01 is significantly slower than the K-x, especially in low light. Unless you're shooting sports, it's not a big deal. What is really amazing though is the focus accuracy. I find I will take a LOT of photos with the K-x, because I'm never sure if the shot I just took will be in focus or not. With some lenses, the K-x has reasonably accurate focus... with others, not so much. (Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for instance). But even so, I take the shotgun approach to photography with the K-x. The K-01 is a different beast altogether. The focus accuracy is spot on.
ChopperCharles-- this is really helpful feedback for me. On the one hand I'm worried about the slower focusing of the K-01 compared to my K-x, but you're absolutely right that with my K-x, the accuracy of the focus is definitely spotty. I do have to take multiple shots to find 1 or 2 that are keepers-- and by that I mean sharp and in focus.
12-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will hold out for a K30
Argh, I keep going back and forth on this decision. My latest plan is to sell my K-x to raise a couple hundred dollars, combined with the $317 I would have spent for the K-01, and just get the K-30 that I know I really want. That way I get fast auto-focusing, usable live-view, focus peaking, WR, viewfinder, a real camera grip, all in one package. Of course, compared to my earlier plan, it means I would have only 1 camera body as opposed to two (a K-x and a K-01). And it would be nice to get the K-01 for the smaller form factor, even if it's just a little bit smaller than my K-x. But I'm not sure I should have two camera bodies around; my wife is already unhappy with how many lenses I have, so what will she say about a second camera body? But if I can upgrade my K-x to a K-30, it may be easier to explain/justify this move to her...