Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Thing is, without the K-mount, I wouldn't have been interested in the least. One of the hard sell for me was spending money on the m4/3 stuff for lenses like the Oly 12 and 45 when I already have a set of Limited lenses etc. The m4/3 zooms suck and the primes just started accumulating on the scene the past 1.5 years with exception of the recent Sigma 19 and 30mm. I have a m4/3 K-mount adapter with aperture controls for the DA limiteds. With the K-01, the AF works.
I really agree. A lot of people were hoping for a shorter registration distance with an adapter. I would rather have a slightly thicker camera that can take K Mount lenses natively, because I don't really want to go out and buy a bunch of old M Mount or FD Mount lenses. But a lot of people like doing that sort of thing and the K-01 precludes that by keeping the K Mount intact. Good for Pentaxians who have decent sized collections. Not so good at attracting experimenters.

12-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really agree. A lot of people were hoping for a shorter registration distance with an adapter. I would rather have a slightly thicker camera that can take K Mount lenses natively, because I don't really want to go out and buy a bunch of old M Mount or FD Mount lenses. But a lot of people like doing that sort of thing and the K-01 precludes that by keeping the K Mount intact. Good for Pentaxians who have decent sized collections. Not so good at attracting experimenters.
Experimenting is what the Q does. Pentax did 2 MILCs - one for K lenses and one for nearly every lens imaginable. I agree that the K-01 is probably not very attractive to non-Pentaxians because its bigger, bulkier, and uses lenses from an obscure line of lenses (for the mainstream our lenses are obscure), but to someone with a wide range of K mount lenses and a good dSLR already at $300-400 its an interesting option.
12-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree that the K-01 is probably not very attractive to non-Pentaxians because its bigger, bulkier, and uses lenses from an obscure line of lenses (for the mainstream our lenses are obscure)...
These days, the K-mount would be considered obscure, but back when the old lenses were made, the K-mount was the "Windows" of lens mounts. Pentax licensed the mount to anyone and everyone who wanted to build an SLR.
12-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
These days, the K-mount would be considered obscure, but back when the old lenses were made, the K-mount was the "Windows" of lens mounts. Pentax licensed the mount to anyone and everyone who wanted to build an SLR.
Of course, but the K-01 was offered to buyers this year.

12-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Just dug out an IR remote to test on mine.
Arrrg! Didn't even notice that it doesn't have a rear facing receiver like the K-5.
Now I hate it too!
Kidding of course, I'm still smitten.

If it took hate/rejection to get it down to its current price, then I'm okay with that.
Guess I'm selfish that way.
12-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
I just switched from a sony dslr to a k01. Overall at the black friday price i cant say enough good things about the k01. At its introduction price of $899, i could see rating it a 69%. I personally dont find the camera super attractive and i really wish it was more compact.

Its easy to hold, i dont have a problem with ergonomics except the green button. The only thing i miss from my sony a580 is the tiltable LCD
12-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Besides the chassis and colors which I just plain did not like I didn't see the point in going mirror-less if it meant just using the same mount. I bought my particular Oly because I really liked it's design. I liked it better than later Pen models actually, and because it will take anything with an adapter. I don't have to tell anyone here how much I love Pentax but I just did not love their version of that type of a camera. I wish anyone who has one all the joy that they can ever have with their new camera but Pentax could give me one and I'd probably still prefer my Oly. I just don't like the K-01 at all. Don't really think I'd ever use one.
12-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if Pentax will ever offer a camera with an articulating LCD screen? They really are quite useful especially on mirrorless without an EVF.

12-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
JPT
Pentaxian

Has anyone actually reported a case of the rubber door coming off? If it was really a design fault, I think someone would have broken theirs by now. The way the door is designed, the rubber doesn't have to bend back on itself, so I've never felt it would break off. As for the green button, it may not be optimally placed, but at least it's there. Some of the mirrorless competition have even left out the mode dial in their quest for "simplicity".
12-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

The X-5 bridge camera has an articulating LCD, so Pentax definitely can do it. HOWEVER, it would require more space behind the sensor, and that means a thicker camera. The K-01 did an impressive job squeezing the stuff behind the sensor compared to the K-5/K-30 , but there's only so much squeezing they can do. It's about as compact as it can be. Now, with the K-01's squeezing, they could put a tilty-flippy screen on it and be back to the thickness of the K-5/K-30, but that's a bigger camera.

As I've said before, the K-01 is not a mirrorless with a K-mount. It's a K-mount camera without a mirror. Pentax has said that taking out the mirror makes sense from a cost point-of-view. As an economy model, everything under the skin makes sense - it's like a cut-down K-30, itself derived from a K-5. It reuses the K-5's battery. Like the K-x, the K-01 gave up some "essential" features to be smaller. And then they got Marc Newson to dress it up.

When the K-01 came out, I thought it would notch in fine as the 'economy' model, and a K-5ii/K-30/K-01 lineup has merit. However, Pentax priced the K-01 like a midrange and marketed it as "Marc Newson designer mirrorless blah blah blah", which put it up against cameras that can be much smaller because of their shorter flange focal distance (less than half). Even though a lot of those cameras were still more expensive, the K-01 suffered from the comparison.
12-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Has anyone actually reported a case of the rubber door coming off? If it was really a design fault, I think someone would have broken theirs by now. The way the door is designed, the rubber doesn't have to bend back on itself, so I've never felt it would break off. As for the green button, it may not be optimally placed, but at least it's there. Some of the mirrorless competition have even left out the mode dial in their quest for "simplicity".
I don't think so, and the door doesn't bother me, it just has to be slid in a certain way (press it down about 1/4" from being closed, then slide it in and it fits as it did out of the box). I don't particularly see the point of the secondary SD card cover, except I suppose to prevent pressing hard on the rubber cover and inadvertently popping the card out. I really like the K-01, it is a simple camera that does what it is told.
12-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
Banned

The K-01 is a best buy at $299.99 today for an APS-C mirrorless and the best Pentax ever for shooting HD video.
Pentax K-01 (no lens included) (Black) 16-megapixel hybrid interchangeable-lens camera body at Crutchfield.com
12-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #28

I bought one to use with my DA Limiteds and it arrives tomorrow. It's an odd duck but for the $$$ it was a no brainer for me to compliment my K5.
12-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

You pull the rubber door all the way out and slide it in from the back of the camera, it works like a charm
12-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The K-01 is a best buy at $299.99 today for an APS-C mirrorless and the best Pentax ever for shooting HD video.
Pentax K-01 (no lens included) (Black) 16-megapixel hybrid interchangeable-lens camera body at Crutchfield.com
Crutchfield lists it now as:
DISCONTINUED
This item is no longer available to purchase.