Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by docrwm Quote
crutchfield lists it now as:
Discontinued
this item is no longer available to purchase.
rip k-01

12-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hoping they eventually come out with a K-02... it would be awesome if they kept the K mount and decreased the width by using a folded light path. THEN I think you'd see reviewers really take note.

Charles.
12-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

In the meantime, K-01 owners should hold onto their cameras. They're likely to become cult legends.
12-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
In the meantime, K-01 owners should hold onto their cameras. They're likely to become cult legends.
YK, I'm inclined to agree with this. It's really got something

12-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I think you're right and it was definitely a consideration when I bought my K-01. All digital cameras face rapid obsolescense due to the changing technology. But the truth is, the K-01 is more than capable for 99% of all uses of digital pics. With it's quirky design, great sensor, and being most likely a "one of a kind", that just seemed like a recipe for holding it's value better than most other cameras in it's current price range.
12-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #36
Forum Member

For me the only obvious flaw the K-01 has is the placement of the green button.
Before I bought mine I was reading all the reviews and criticisms, about AF, the SD rubber door... well, coming from a K20D I consider the AF fast and the rubber door is not a problem it closes fine.
Compared to the K20D, the exposure is better so as the focus accuracy in low light. I won't talk about ergonomics or lack of viewfinder because its a different kind of camera, not comparable to a DSLR.
12-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #37
Veteran Member

The focus accuracy is great. The ability to focus in low light stinks. Speed isn't a big deal, it's fast enough that it doesn't seem slow, under most lighting conditions. Green button is slightly annoying, but not a deal breaker. If I had paid $800+ for this camera when it first came out, the inability to focus in low light would have really had me thinking about sending it back. I probably wouldn't have, but I would have been unhappy. But for $316/$416 with a lens, I feel like I got an amazing deal on the best IQ this side of 400 dollars.

Charles.

12-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #38

Original Poster
I Liked the K-01 so much I bought it twice!
Seriously though....I like them!....Really.
12-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kkennally Quote
I Liked the K-01 so much I bought it twice!
Seriously though....I like them!....Really.
I like the K-01 too. Not quite the same kind of love I have for my Q but the K-01 definitely outperforms any other mirrorless camera in the same price range when it come to IQ.
12-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #40
nah

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 is in for repairs at the moment, but when it comes back I think it'll be on the shelf more than the K-01. K-01 with Ltd lenses is an awesome combo.

K-5 - Serious shooting, telephoto use
K-01 - Everyday use and travel
12-27-2012, 05:06 AM   #41
Inactive Account

No hate here

I used the K-01 for unattended video during our Christmas celebration. I had a lot of family and friends comment on what a great looking outfit I had. Surprisingly good video output under low light conditions and with a K-5 for stills I had the situation well covered. I bought the K-01 because of the price, but have used it much more than the K-5 since I picked it up.
Joe
Attached Images

12-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I now own a K-01 and I much prefer my K5s to it. However, I think it is a great start and I would rather have Pentax continue down its track than start a new mount for another mirrorless camera escapade. Work with the ergonomics a little, add an EVF and bump the frames per second and buffer up a little. Sell it for 550 and I think it would be about perfect.

Anyway, I don't mean to run the K-01 down. It is a very capable camera and much easier to carry around than a K5 with a grip for casual type settings.,
12-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kkennally Quote
I recently bought two K-01 bodies from B&H (Black) and (yellow). My main camera has been the K-5 for the past year and when the price dropped on theK-01 I just had to get a couple. Now, as I read through threads and reviews on the internet I see allot of unfounded criticism of the K-01. Have any of these so called photo experts ever handled the Sony Nex-5n? I have.....And I can tell you that the K-01 is far superior in ergonomics, physical appearance and image quality! I have also owned the Olympus E-P2 which I really liked but the image quality was also lacking compared to the better APS-C sensors.

I just don't get it.

For anyone that is worried about the rubber door cover....Call 720-988-2653 and order a spare.

That being said......Can anyone recommend a good sling bag for the k-01?
I fully agree with you.

Nowadays you have to be "in the move", and most of "photographers" take their hobby as a very serious thing.

The toy appearance of the K-01 acts therefore as a "repellent" to many of them... whatever be it's internal qualities, ergonomics and whatsoever...

I decided to buy 2 bodies as well, one white and one yellow, because of price drop, and also because i find it so funny to use them with the small limited lenses, making a striking difference with the rest of boring street-shooters.

More-over, i decided to boycott in the future all sellers that don't supply K-01.
I might have a rather low success in this respect, but i find this "principle relevant".
12-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #44

I bought it because of the current price, and I'm glad I didn't pay anything more for it than I did.

It has nice specs, but the ergonomics damper it for me, I'll keep it, and use it for video, or for cityscapes.
12-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I cut my teeth on a K1000 film camera, not sure ergonomics was even a word back then.
It ain't a K5, but I'm happy with the ergonomics of the K-01.