Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
All the K-01 hate?

I recently bought two K-01 bodies from B&H (Black) and (yellow). My main camera has been the K-5 for the past year and when the price dropped on theK-01 I just had to get a couple. Now, as I read through threads and reviews on the internet I see allot of unfounded criticism of the K-01. Have any of these so called photo experts ever handled the Sony Nex-5n? I have.....And I can tell you that the K-01 is far superior in ergonomics, physical appearance and image quality! I have also owned the Olympus E-P2 which I really liked but the image quality was also lacking compared to the better APS-C sensors.

I just don't get it.

For anyone that is worried about the rubber door cover....Call 720-988-2653 and order a spare.

That being said......Can anyone recommend a good sling bag for the k-01?

Last edited by kkennally; 12-10-2012 at 04:52 PM.
12-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apart from the AF, the location of the green button, and the door, it really is a great camera. And it's certainly the best value out there at the moment!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Apart from the AF, the location of the green button, and the door, it really is a great camera. And it's certainly the best value out there at the moment!
definitely can't beat the value, easily a great backup camera, or for primary use too! If you are looking for a relatively small sling bag, check out what case logic has on amazon (I know, case logic....but they are actually pretty decent, and I've had my fair share of bags!)
12-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your 2 new K-01s.

12-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by kkennally Quote
I recently bought two K-01 bodies from B&H (Black) and (yellow). My main camera has been the K-5 for the past year and when the price dropped on theK-01 I just had to get a couple. Now, as I read through threads and reviews on the internet I see allot of unfounded criticism of the K-01. Have any of these so called photo experts ever handled the Sony Nex-5n? I have.....And I can tell you that the K-01 is far superior in ergonomics, physical appearance and image quality! I have also owned the Olympus E-P2 which I really liked but the image quality was also lacking compared to the better APS-C sensors.

I just don't get it.

For anyone that is worried about the rubber door cover....Call 720-988-2653 and order a spare.

That being said......Can anyone recommend a good sling bag for the k-01?
I agree with you, and I think a lot of the hate is really because it just looks different, and people are afraid that they won't look sufficiently "serious" with the K-01. I personally find it a pleasure to use, coming from the K-X. But it's so much easier to just be derisive, isn't it?
12-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep, there's a lot of K-01 hate around, I never understood it either, just enjoy the camera.
12-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Haters gonna hate. Most of the comes from people that don't own one.

12-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the issues that people are bothered by are the fact that there is no EVF and many people had hoped that Pentax would shorten the registration distance to allow for use of non-K mount lenses on it. At the initial price of 600-ish dollars, it was pretty hard to sell at 315, I can't seen any one taking issue with it.
12-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the issues that people are bothered by are the fact that there is no EVF and many people had hoped that Pentax would shorten the registration distance to allow for use of non-K mount lenses on it. At the initial price of 600-ish dollars, it was pretty hard to sell at 315, I can't seen any one taking issue with it.
Thing is, without the K-mount, I wouldn't have been interested in the least. One of the hard sell for me was spending money on the m4/3 stuff for lenses like the Oly 12 and 45 when I already have a set of Limited lenses etc. The m4/3 zooms suck and the primes just started accumulating on the scene the past 1.5 years with exception of the recent Sigma 19 and 30mm. I have a m4/3 K-mount adapter with aperture controls for the DA limiteds. With the K-01, the AF works.
12-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The K Mount support was one of the big reasons I went with the K-01 over other mirrorless cameras and I didn't even own any K Mount lenses. I just really liked knowing that there was a wealth of great options out there and available to me when it came to glass. If I had it to do all over again I'd have made the exact same choices. Absolutely love both of my Pentax mirrorless shooters! This coming from a guy who also has a very capable Canon T3i sitting in the other room mostly collection dust. Actually, it's great for quality video work but you get the idea.
12-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:

Look at the EOS M
Slower autofocus, no EVF but the professional reviewers are not getting on Canon about this design.

What Digital Camera gives the Nex-5n a score of 90% and gives the K-01 69%??? I owned the Nex-5n for 3 days and sent it back due to the horrible ergonomics and clicking noise during video.
12-10-2012, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-01 doesn't fit into regular categories, and that turned off many non-Pentax users (who didn't see the value of the only mirrorless with a legacy mount), and many Pentax users (who didn't see the value of a K-mount without an EVF). With photographers' unfortunate tendency to blast anything that doesn't fit their personal requirements or expectations, you quickly have a hate-fest. It didn't help that Pentax priced it badly, marketed it badly (wait, Pentax markets things?), and released it with firmware 1.00 with its issues

I bought my (first) K-01 in part to spite the haters, and because I thought it would be quiet for museum shooting. I quickly found that the non-dSLR shape and LCD-only focusing pushed me to shoot one-handed from angles that wouldn't occur to me with my eye glued to the viewfinder. While I'm not giving up my dSLRs, I really enjoy my brick.

Last edited by THoog; 12-10-2012 at 08:01 PM.
12-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
With photographers' unfortunate tendency to blast anything that doesn't fit their personal requirements or expectations, you quickly have a hate-fest. It didn't help that Pentax priced it badly, marketed it badly (wait, Pentax markets things?)
Leica mirrorless; never marketed, costs 2k, well received by even people whom have been shooting Leica for many, many decades. Pentax's lack of marketing along with willingnessness to properly address fullframe will likely kill of the company.
12-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Leica mirrorless; never marketed, costs 2k, well received by even people whom have been shooting Leica for many, many decades. Pentax's lack of marketing along with willingnessness to properly address fullframe will likely kill of the company.
They've definitely been wrong-footed on an 'economy' FF model - they missed their chance to hit their usual note of "smaller and cheaper with better features" before the D600 and 6D hit the streets.

I'm still hoping (perhaps foolishly) that Ricoh will make a difference. I don't know about other markets, but under Hoya, Pentax seemed determined to avoid selling in the US market as much as possible. It's hard to believe that I first learned about the K100D, in 2007 (just before the Hoya merger), by seeing an ad on the side of a subway train in Boston. Actual advertising! Did I dream it?
12-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #15

I got mine mainly for video. The idea of shooting HD video with my old pentax glass, at that price point, was hard to resist.

For $350, I can get past all the faults for video (no hdmi monitoring, fixed LCD, compression,no vu meter,..). All except that it has no movie manual exposure mode with M series glass.

If I had known it didnt offer manual exposure with older primes, I probably would have passed. Wish the documentation had been more clear on this. Not really sure if this makes me a hater or not.

The camera is definitely fun to use otherwise and I'll definitely keep it (even if I do "hate" on it, a little ).