Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shooting with a K-01 if I hate live view on my K-5?

Hi forum.

With the price of the K-01 right now I'm seriously considering it. However, one thing that Scares me is no optical viewfinder. I love my K-5 but I literally never use live view because I simply don't like it (maybe mine is set wrong or something). The main thing I don't like is that you'll have the picture you want in your live view, you'll hit the shutter button and the delay often ruins the picture (for me anyways). I imagine this delay isn't in the K-01 due to the lack of mirror?

Thanks for the input!

12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

yeah.. no delay from the K-01 when you hit the shutter button.
12-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
when I'm shooting my K5 from a tripod I always use live view..............never felt at a disadvantage ...............also live view automatically gives you mirror lock-up...
12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
Hi forum.

With the price of the K-01 right now I'm seriously considering it. However, one thing that Scares me is no optical viewfinder. I love my K-5 but I literally never use live view because I simply don't like it (maybe mine is set wrong or something). The main thing I don't like is that you'll have the picture you want in your live view, you'll hit the shutter button and the delay often ruins the picture (for me anyways). I imagine this delay isn't in the K-01 due to the lack of mirror?

Thanks for the input!
The K-01's live view has much better performance than he K-5. However, in low light, the framerate can still slow down, and the AF isn't stellar.

It's certainly worth it considering the camera is just $316, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Go for it. If youre not happy with what youve got, theres not crime to try something else. The K-01 is better in live view, because it is always in live view lol. And no mirror, so it takes a shot right away. Also has a better CPU, has focus peaking, better video modes, better CD AF..
12-11-2012, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #6
owl
Forum Member

If you need a viewfinder, there is this great accessory called the K-5, just disconnect your lens from the K-01 and mount it on the accessory K-5 body; reverse as needed.

The K-01 has much more latency than the K-5 as a general matter, not sure if live view latency is better or worse but in general there is more latency than a normal DSLR. I haven't seen the numbers on this but that is what it seems to me. However, if you can spare the $316, it is money well spent. I wish I bought the 40xs lens with mine.
12-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
I'm definitely not looking to replace the K5, was just looking at the K-01 as a supplement to the K-5. Basically just throw my 40Ltd on it and keep it in my back pack. I know a Q would be much smaller, but I have so many K-mounts it would only be a one time $300 purchase

My hate for K-5's live view was the main thing that was scaring me about a K-01. I prefer the optical viewfinder, but I've used enough point and shoots to live without it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think ill go play with one in a store when I get a chance
12-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm definitely not looking to replace the K5, was just looking at the K-01 as a supplement to the K-5. Basically just throw my 40Ltd on it and keep it in my back pack. I know a Q would be much smaller, but I have so many K-mounts it would only be a one time $300 purchase

My hate for K-5's live view was the main thing that was scaring me about a K-01. I prefer the optical viewfinder, but I've used enough point and shoots to live without it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think ill go play with one in a store when I get a chance
Make sure the one you test out has the new firmware as the release firmware had horrible AF performance.

12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by owl Quote
If you need a viewfinder, there is this great accessory called the K-5, just disconnect your lens from the K-01 and mount it on the accessory K-5 body; reverse as needed.
That sounds amazing! I have got to get one of those for my K-01!
12-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Make sure the one you test out has the new firmware as the release firmware had horrible AF performance.
+1

And be sure to try focus peaking; it adds a lot to LiveView capabilities.
12-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm someone who prefers a viewfinder, but I bought a q, and just recently the K-01 (how can you go wrong at $316 or less?) I'm finding both those cameras very easy to use (although I haven't used it outside in bright sunlight yet, which I understand is less than optimal.) My other camera is a Leica M8.2, so there's the viewfinder for those times I need or want that. I don't regret buying either the K-01 or the q.
12-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #12

I always found LV on the K-5 to general stink. Even tripod mounted it just is not top notch. Bough a K-01 when the prices dropped and really am enjoying it as my macro go to body. I did not think I could ever go without an EVF but I use a hoodman when needed. Testing the two bodies with same lens and settings, if there is a difference ,I can not see it. Also, I always MF in macro so AF is a non sequester as they say.
12-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you already have a K-5, the K-01 is a great second/backup body. I've found when I'm at family gatherings, I tend to just reach for the K-01 these days. I tend to use only primes on it: the DA 21, 40 and 70 Limiteds. I've found I don't need anything else. If I'm going out in the bright sunlight where I don't expect shade, I'll use the K-5. If I require use of a telephoto, or any large lens, I'll use the K-5. Meanwhile, I use the K-01 for most other things. The camera's slightly simpler control interface is fun and one tends to forget its size pretty easily. If you keep thinking about the K-01, I say go for it. If you have Pentax glass already, you really can't go wrong for the price. If you don't already have the DA 40 Limited, the DA 40 XS is worth the slightly higher price. Same optics.
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I think I've convinced myself I want a K-01 now haha. And I thought a 40XS was a "cheaper" 40Ltd?
12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. I think I've convinced myself I want a K-01 now haha. And I thought a 40XS was a "cheaper" 40Ltd?
Yeah that is why he commented that if you don't already own the 40mm ltd you should spring the extra $100 for it! I bought the 40mm xs k-01 kit, having previously owned the 40mm and now owning the 43mm ltd I thought I'd give it a go but probably sell it...well, it suits the k-01 so much I've decided to keep it afterall. Actually, I've picked up the camera much more than I thought I would, and have solely used it with the 40mm as well, which was even more a surprise.