Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Using manual glass

Im having a great time with this camera, but im still confused on how I should be properly using my manual lenses. Ive mainly been using M mode & Av mode and Im getting good results. Im just confused on what I should be doing with my aperture ring. Do I adjust it at all, or let the camera do the work? I haven't had enough testing time to figure out if going up or down even makes a difference.

I read that M mode wont hold the lens at wide open, but It always seems like the lens is wide open.

12-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Which type of lens are you using? Some lenses you have to use the aperture ring to adjust aperture (M42, K, M) while some lenses you can do on camera (A, F, FA, DA lenses).
This article will get you started:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 on the article, with one amendment: M (manual) mode will behave differently on the K-01 depending on whether you have AutoISO turned on or not. For it to act exactly like the article, you need to manually select an ISO.

To address the OP's last item, with a K/M lens, M mode and manual ISO, the lens will be wide open until you meter using the green button (this is provide enough light for focusing). It will stop down to meter, then open up again until you fire the shutter.

Hope this helps!
12-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Remember, if there is no A mode on the lens aperture ring, you must select the aperture using the aperture ring. Remember to allow the use of "lens with an aperture ring" custom setting in the menu. Use M mode and fixed iso. When you want the camera to figure out an appropriate shutter speed for the aperture you selected on the lens, press the green button. Myself had trouble getting it to work, and the problem was I had autoiso set which does not work. If you use m42 via adapter it is Easy, just use av mode and set aperture on the lens.

12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #5

THoog was faster than me....
12-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
im using all k mount bayonet lenses

SMC Pentax-M 1.4 50mm
SMC Pentax-M 2.8 28mm
Asahi Takumar 2.5 135mm
Vivitar 2.8-4.0 70-210mm

I dont know if im doing something wrong, but in M mode, the screen still says Av(aperture priority, automatic exposure). switching between AV TV or M doesnt change anything.

here are some totally random shots I took with most of the lenses. i seem to be getting decent results, but i still think im doing something wrong.

Last edited by AntonV; 12-11-2012 at 05:09 PM.
12-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Check your ISO - I think it's set to Auto. If it is, Av will show in the corner (and ISO AUTO at the bottom), the lens will be held wide open, and even though you hit the Green Button, you won't hear it stop down to meter. Once you select an ISO, the Av in the corner will change to M.
12-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
yep, that worked. i like auto mode better, lol

12-11-2012, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with M+AutoISO (also known as "TAv mode") is that it ignores the aperture ring setting and holds the lens wide open, which can give you soft pictures or very thin depth of field. If you want to use TAv with a K/M lens, you can put a bit of tape on the lens mount so that it treats the lens like an M42. I've done this with a couple of my 'walking around' lenses, so that I can set the aperture and it continously gives me a usable ISO and shutter speed without using the Green Button.

Making an M lens automatic, sort of. on Flickr
12-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Forum Member

Hey Anton V
I hope it's not just me, but I saw absolutely NOTHING in ANY of the above pictures that is in sharp focus.
I am expecting my K-01 to be delivered tomorrow (12/12) so I can't offer any suggestions yet. other than reporting what I'm seeing.
Hopefully just a minor setting error (I hope) and not an issue with your camera.
Regards
Bernd
12-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #11

Just tested the tape-trick, works perfect. My m-lenses works much easier now when I don,t need the Green button.

Tanks for the tip THoog
12-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
Hey Anton V
I hope it's not just me, but I saw absolutely NOTHING in ANY of the above pictures that is in sharp focus.
I am expecting my K-01 to be delivered tomorrow (12/12) so I can't offer any suggestions yet. other than reporting what I'm seeing.
Hopefully just a minor setting error (I hope) and not an issue with your camera.
Regards
Bernd
I think its photobuckets conversion. they all are very sharp in raw & jpg, except for the pic of my chihuahua, thats definitely a soft pic.
12-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think they're very sharp, either. Not to be misinterpreted, but the lenses you have are capable of infinitely better photos. There's no use in believing your photos are good the way they are, because honestly they aren't. You can get much better quality out of a phone camera.
I'd suggest you take some time and learn about the effect of the lens aperture on a photo, and then use your newly acquired knowledge. Good luck!