Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Question about moving to K-01

Hello Forum,

Been a pentax shooter since the k100d came out and since, I've owned the k10d, the k20d and a K-5.

Recently my K5 was stolen along with my... still sad ... my > Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited - Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL - Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM - Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 - Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro... Yeah. Copy and pasted my Sig

Anyway, due to money and my lack of it, I've pretty much talked myself into a K-01. I love shooting macro, street and just always having my camera with me and shooting whatever really. I also love the idea of being able to throw the thing into my pocket. And this may seem weird to some, but I really like the idea of NOT "looking like a professional". BTW, I'm not even close. But my camera and gear made it look that way is all I'm sayin'. And may come across a little (censored) but I really can't wait until the next local photo meetup where I can stand next to the lady and the dude with the 5d Mll and the 4000 bucks worth of L glass who ask you "what's AV mean?" (this happened to me once) and take as good or in most cases better photos with what appears to them to be a point and shoot.

sorry... went off a little there.

Ok so the question. Since I never shot a K-01 just read some reviews, looked at samples and read the posts here, what do you think I will miss? I don't shoot sports. I don't need the speed. I don't mind the idea of using the screen as a view finder.

This almost seems to me a lateral move from the in terms of image quality right?

12-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOsOProject Quote
I also love the idea of being able to throw the thing into my pocket.
The K-01 isn't a pocketable camera...if you want one that is, look at the Sony NEX, Olympus PEN, or Pentax Q.

The K-01 has basically the same IQ as the K-5, minus the 14-bit raw, which means you get a little less dynamic range. The K-01's menu/LV performance is a bit faster than that of the K-5, but the AF and continuous buffer in the K-5 are both much better. If you don't mind that, then I think the only thing you'll miss is the optical viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Following up from Adam's post, the K-01 is not pocketable even with the DA40mm xs. But you can fit it in a P&S camera bag like the Lowepro Apex 100AW bag:
Lowepro Apez 100 AW reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database that I use. The bag is very compact while providing some padding to protect the camera. The bag opening is very simple and quick when I need to take a shot.

While the K-01 is not a pocketable P&S, it is much smaller than a K-7 or K-5 and very easy to carry around. In addition the IQ is outstanding: really.

Hope that the comment may help.
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe there should be a forum where Pentaxians can post serial numbers of their stolen equipment.
Members could check serial numbers of stuff for sale against it to be sure that they're not buying stolen goods.

12-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The K01 sure is pocketable...if you have big enough pockets. . Honestly though, you can't stick it in your pants pocket but with the pancake lens it fits very nicely in a loose fitting jacket or coat pocket.
12-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
You might miss the Weather Sealing and the optical viewfinder of the K-5.