Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is it a keeper?

So, I've had my K-01 now for 2 days and have run it through about 125 pics.
So far, in all honesty, other than the newer and additional features it has, I don't really see a noticable improvement
over what my older K-m (K-2000) is able to achieve.
So far, I am only testing it in the fully AUTO mode only so that I can get a fairly good comparison between the 2 cameras.
Well, I better get back to it so I can come to a decision about whether or not to send it back for a refund.
If I didn't already have the K-m, it would be a definite keeper.
I just don't know yet.

Regards
Bernd

12-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd give it a shot in low light conditions and see what it can do there.
12-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try some high ISO comparisons too.
12-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get out of the auto mode. Also compare its video capabilities to those of your K-m (K2000).

12-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shoot raw, take photos outside and not just around the house, and process them.
If you use your DSLRs as a phone cam, you might as well just use a phone cam. I have a K-r and K-01, and the difference in IQ is definitely noticeable. The noise reduction, the AF accuracy, the sharpness..
12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #6

Print some

You know, when I first looked at some of my k01 pictures compared to my k100d I have to say I didn't see a lot of difference on the computer monitor and I have a 2650 x 1600 monitor. I had to look real close BUT then I had some prints made and it was a JUST WOW experience. Remember how low the resolution of computer monitors are when it comes to megapixel cameras.
12-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #7

Like you, I received a k-01 2 days ago. However, I've been putting it through it's courses and have so far added over 1,600 exposures. Is it a keeper for me? Most certainly! Of course, expectations and objectives vary and fortunately mine are in line with what the k-01 delivers. It's taken me a while to come to adjust to the way the camera handles and it's operational speed, but I must say it's been a fun process that keeps me excited to reach for the little pentax at every opportunity.

It's a camera that is a bit hard to define. It's not a dslr and expecting it behave as such will lead to frustration. It's not what we think of when we think of a "milc", (ala omd/gx1). At the same time, it's easy to see the list of design objectives that were on the board when the k-01 was being dreampt up. The result is a bit of a kludge, but a brilliant one if you are keen on the tradeoffs the k-01 offers. Using the k-01 for me is like using a vintage film camera in all the ways that make them fun. A great camera that should be standard issue for every photography student imo.

12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Get out of the auto mode. Also compare its video capabilities to those of your K-m (K2000).
I am not entirely sure yet if it is keeper for me, but I agree with you that one ought to get out of the Auto mode. I have been doing that for a while now, but I have not been convinced quite yet.

One thing for sure is that it is a nice camera to look at. The design of it is to me outstanding. Even if I stop shooting with this, I know I will keep it, just to look at.
12-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys! I appreciate them.
I just requested an RMA from BH to ensure I have it in hand before the "trial" period is over. I need to also consider that if my counter passes 200, I'm S-O-L.
I'm currently at pic 125.
I'm far from being a Noob to photography. Been shooting and developing 35mm SLR film since the mid '60s and have a nice collection of 100+ cameras.
I have tried all manner of different settings in different modes and the pics are simply very soft. The 40mm f2.8 kit lens is the sharpest. The 18-55 DA-L from my K-m is very soft at any f stop or zoom factor. The K mount 35-200mm and the 10 old M-42 lenses also are all very soft.
I guess what it boils down to is that I don't need or want to work so hard and this stage of my life at getting an acceptable pic that looks good on my 27" LCD monitor or printed out on 8x10 photo paper.
Maybe there's an problem with the camera, I don't know, so, back it goes and I'll just be happy with my K-m and my favorite does everything Sony HX-100/V super zoom.

Regards
Bernd