Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

k 01 and 40 xs fist impresion

I just got it and my first impresion is that is light! how is this thing so big and so light?

Manual focus ftw!! manual focus is great with the focus peaking, indoors is exelent, oudoors could be a little better. Pleasant shutter sound.
The 40 xs is pretty darn sharp wide open! and very smooth focus ring!
I dont't like the the push in cap of the lens, It fits so snug I feel like I'm gonna break the lens.

I was afraid of how holding the camera away from my eye would affect stability but I don't think that will be an issue.

Definetely bulkier than I tought. But i'll get used to it.

12-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mine too

Got mine yesterday. The biggest challenge has been (and continues to be) figuring out how to find stuff that were easily done on the K7 (dials/settings).

I try not to think that the K-01 is a whole better camera than the K7. I keep telling myself the only reason I bought this was to get a CHEAP $300 video camera for my lenses. I hope that will last. I mated the K7 to the xs pancake and it will probably stay in the drawer like that for a few weeks. In the meantime, shoed the K-01 with a bunch of lenses to see how it feels.

When I unboxed it yesterday, I was like: "Yup, this thing is ugly." K-01 is a fungus. It growing on me. The manual controls for video blow me away. Focus Peaking (w/ AF too) is powerful stuff.

My video camera set up

low light

This is proving to be a good fit. Turn the in-body SR off, use the lens OS. No jiggly, jello action. Also, looks so chopped top bad ass.
12-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
It is certainly a fungus lol.

I hate that you have to go into the menu to change af settings.
12-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vindemiatrix Quote
I hate that you have to go into the menu to change af settings.
Do you mean to change AF mode from Face to Tracking to Spot to Select? You can change it a little more quickly from the Info screen. Since it remembers the last thing you changed, it can be as simple as <INFO> <wheel> <INFO><INFO>

12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Do you mean to change AF mode from Face to Tracking to Spot to Select? You can change it a little more quickly from the Info screen. Since it remembers the last thing you changed, it can be as simple as <INFO> <wheel> <INFO><INFO>

Thanks!!