Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

first Pentax. The k-01!

hey everyone, new to the forum,
I'm from Australia, and have have been shooting stills and video with a canon for some time now, but was on the hunt for a m4/3 camera for adapting old lenses and having a smaller camera to have on me at all times so I don't miss out on shots.(also wanted a new toy haha) but when I saw the k-01 for 299 body only, with focus peaking, and using k mount lenses with no adaptors I made an impulse buy!
so hopefully it gets delivered this week I think this is the perfect camera for my purposes, a fun new toy I can have with me at all times, not worry about too much as its CHEAP, and can get some cheap primes for it. (which I'm hunting for on ebay now, as I've no lenses yet)
starting to read up on the forum as much as I can. Seems there is a lot of love/hate of this camera. But hey, if people don't like it, don't buy it, simple. I think its going to be great.
anyway I look forward to shooting with manual only glass for the first time, I think its going to be a lot of fun, any other websites you recommend I read up on?
thanks guys/girls

12-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 was $750 at launch just 9 months ago, so $299 is definitely a steal!

You might want to give this a read, as you need to change a setting to be able to shoot with manual lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Yeah, I bought it when it came out, anyway, not that upset, I love the camera, does almost what my K-5 does and my wife's K30, and all the same lenses. It is great for having in the car when touring ready to go, then switch to the DSLR when getting serious.
12-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
just won my first ebay auction for old lenses.
a chinon 50mm f1.9 and a 135mm f2.8 Osawa
came with a free Chinon CP-7m too haha.
33 dollars! even if they are not that great, thats still cheap as chips.

12-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Yeah, I bought it when it came out, anyway, not that upset
Same here; got my K-01 during the first day of release. But then again; if one purchases a six or eight core computer today; it will eventually go down in price enough to be almost placed in a smartphone for less than two hundred
12-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You might want to give this a read, as you need to change a setting to be able to shoot with manual lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
Adam, could we get a footnote on that (excellent) sticky that says for the K-30/K-01, ISO has to be manually selected (not AutoISO) for the green button to work correctly? It seems like a lot of new owners are running into M+AutoISO=TAv (sort of) mode.
12-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I hope and trust you will enjoy it because it is enjoyable, less so for it being cheap.
12-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

I wonder if anyone who owns the camera hates it. I just got mine and I love it!
have fun

12-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #9

Agreed. The k-01 is delight to use and is highly capable. It has personality! Every time I pick it up I'm reminded of my leica iiic, my favorite film camera.