Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #1

New Here / My Plans with the K-01

Hi K-01 Forum,

I'm new to Pentax Forums overall and own a K-01. Love it so far using the kit 40 mm lens. I mainly take pictures of my kids so the 40 mm works well for portrait-ish photos. I also like the size of the body and lens with the 40 mm. I typically just shoot without flash so the low light capability is great for me.

But, I need something a bit wider to get in more people and for tighter spaces (the holidays are here). And some flexibility on depth of filed. I plan to get a zoom lens for those purposes along with a flash (to bounce off the ceiling or a wall).

Past that, what I'd like to do is get old (really good) prime manual lenses to play with with the focus peaking feature. Don't know the details on what those would be but I'm guessing they're available.

I'm bookmarking the K-01 forum and plan to view the Settings post in some detail.

Hopefully I'll even have something to add at some point.

Take care.

12-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blaynegreen Quote
Hi K-01 Forum,

I'm new to Pentax Forums overall and own a K-01. Love it so far using the kit 40 mm lens. I mainly take pictures of my kids so the 40 mm works well for portrait-ish photos. I also like the size of the body and lens with the 40 mm. I typically just shoot without flash so the low light capability is great for me.

But, I need something a bit wider to get in more people and for tighter spaces (the holidays are here). And some flexibility on depth of filed. I plan to get a zoom lens for those purposes along with a flash (to bounce off the ceiling or a wall).

Past that, what I'd like to do is get old (really good) prime manual lenses to play with with the focus peaking feature. Don't know the details on what those would be but I'm guessing they're available.

I'm bookmarking the K-01 forum and plan to view the Settings post in some detail.

Hopefully I'll even have something to add at some point.

Take care.
If you want a cheap manual lens, I'd suggest going for this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/208234-sale-p...mm-f2-8-a.html

It's not that wide, but it's certainly going to offer about 15 degrees more horizontal coverage. More details on it can be found in our lens database.

If you really want an ultra-wide, though, then this is what I recommend for all K-01 users. It's a real gem ($539 in cart BTW, not $649):
Pentax Ultra Wide Angle smc-DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited 21800 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it is for indoor family stuff then light might be on the dim side... something fast and a little wide like the sigma 24 1.8 would work well. It comes up occasionally used on our forums for around 300. I've had mine for a few years and like it a lot. If you're open to a zoom maybe the tamron 28-75 or the sigma 24-60 or other 17-50 w/ a fixed 2.8 aperture would work. But if you want small primes maybe the da 35 f2.4 would fit the bill - it's good wide open focuses fast and has great color. These are all af lenses though...but that should make it easier to get some good candida.
12-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

You know, this lense sells so cheap you might as while pick on up and see how/if it works for you: PENTAX SMC PENTAX-A 1:2 50MM

12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you're going to use it indoors much, skip the M lenses and try to find an A lens with that range. You can't use the flash with an M lens, but you can with an A. Plus the green button (to meter an M lens) is really annoying to reach. A lenses work much better on the body.

Charles.
12-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I basically feel the same way about the 40mm kit lens. It looks great on the camera and provides stellar IQ but it's just not wide enough for my style. I usually reach for the DA 21mm Limited for my all around go to lens. If I want something wider then it's the manual Sigma 16mm f2.8 which honestly has been the best $180 I've spent on eBay all year, such a great performer. Definitely looking to eventually pick up the DA 15mm Limited though. For portraits it's the DA 70mm Limited and the Rokinon 85mm f1.4.
12-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I highly recommend the 21mm ltd for a general purpose walk around snap shot lens. I picked one up right when I got my k5 and it has been a trusty companion. I will be letting mine go though to fund other LBA. /sigh.
12-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies! Gives me a lot to think about. Also reminds of a joke which I'll get wrong but it's something along the lines of "How many lenses do you need?" . . . "Just one more."

For now I've got a Tamron 17-50 (constant 2.8) on the way for Christmas. I'm planning on putting a manual flash on the K01, setting the aperture to about 4.0, dialing it in and letting it rip.

Beyond that, again you all have given me a lot to think about. Looking forward to checking out other threads too.

Happy holidays.

12-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I really enjoy using auto-thyristor flashes on my Pentax cameras, but they do have limitations. The PTTL flashes will allow you to expose for the background and fire off just enough flash to light the subject -- you can use a nice low shutter speed and wide aperture instead of the 1/125 sync speed that the auto thyristor flashes require. Both have their place, and at 1/125 and dialed into the recommended settings on the back (in manual mode of course), auto thyristor seems to be more reliably foolproof. That being said, PTTL -- even with its quirks, over-exposures, and misfires -- is more useful in more situations.

Charles.