Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Love my K-01... 40mm XS could take or leave it

I love my K-01. LOVE IT. And I'm not dissing the 40mm XS in any way... but after using it a bit, I'm finding that my F50mm f1.7 does everything the XS does, sharper and faster. The only advantage of the XS is the physical size - but my jacket pockets are big enough to handle the K01 with the 50mm attached, so even that's not a huge reason to own it.

I mean, for an extra $100 it's a steal, but I'm finding I wouldn't have been disappointed if I just had purchased the body only.

Charles.

12-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Depends on the pockets, that's all!
12-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Depends on the pockets, that's all!
lol.

XS is designed for K01, and I think that they are should be together.
12-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Based on my experience, I find the 40mm XS to not be sharp until f/4.0.
I don't own the DA 40mm to compare, but from reading the review of the DA 40mm, it's a great lens.
I find the 40mm XS to be slow, and soft wide open.
Is the DA 40mm also soft at f/2.8?

I prefer my 35mm f/2.4 over the 40mm XS everytime.

12-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I honestly don't understand the whole rave over the XS, I did not like it one bit, the bokeh was messy, I found it soft and lacking contrast compared to my voigts, and like you said, even my M glass (which I kept over the XS), so I sold it for a super premium on ebay before the lens was on the market and recouped like 65% of my purchase on the K-01 (this was at full price at a military store), it was insane, I bought the 20 voigt with that money lol...
12-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
I honestly don't understand the whole rave over the XS, I did not like it one bit, the bokeh was messy, I found it soft and lacking contrast compared to my voigts, and like you said, even my M glass (which I kept over the XS), so I sold it for a super premium on ebay before the lens was on the market and recouped like 65% of my purchase on the K-01 (this was at full price at a military store), it was insane, I bought the 20 voigt with that money lol...
My copy is sharper and more contrasty at f2.8 than an $100 kit lens I've seen. The fact that it's about the size of a body cap is just gravy. Maybe you had a bad copy or your expectations for a kit lens were higher than mine. I do wish it was shorter though, 60 is kinda awkward.
12-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amaroq Quote
My copy is sharper and more contrasty at f2.8 than an $100 kit lens I've seen. The fact that it's about the size of a body cap is just gravy. Maybe you had a bad copy or your expectations for a kit lens were higher than mine. I do wish it was shorter though, 60 is kinda awkward.
I thought 60mm would be horrible, but after shooting with it for some time, I actually like it. It's great for outdoor situations where you don't want to get to close but not to far because of the density of people getting in the way. I agree it's way to long for indoor events.

My version is simular to the 18-55 kit lens at f/4, but definitely soft at f/3.5 and below. It's also slower and softer than my 35mm f/2.4 in all aspects. I think the plastic wonder has spoiled me to some extent.
12-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #8

Photozone says of the xs:

"In the lab the lens was a already able to deliver very good results at f/2.8 and an excellent quality between f/4 and f/8. Typical for all lenses diffraction reduces the quality from f/11 onwards. The sweet spot is at f/5.6."

Pentax SMC-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis

Just for point of comparison the 77 limited scores just under 10% higher resolution at f2.8, and only in the center frame. A totally flawed comparison, granted, but a data point all the same.

Anyway, I've been pretty happy and it certainly has a place in my bag...now it's just a matter of deciding what else to buy! Pentax does not make filling up a shopping cart easy!

12-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like this lense but the 27mm size makes it hard to find adapters for it. Right now I am looking for a reverse macro K mount adapter for it and haven't found one in 27mm threaded size.
12-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Amaroq Quote

It should be sharper than a damn kit lens, but it ain't sharper than my 20 - 30 year old glass. I don't buy new pentax lenses, they are garbage, even the limited line. I shoot pentax because I like there bodies and IQ output/price ratio, it's in that sweet spot, but I will never purchase a new pentax lens untill they step the game up or update the outdated limited line. Remember people, your paying zeiss prices on APS-C lenses with an out dated AF motor that yells and screams every time it focuses (limited line) or a quiet AF lens that someday will decide suicide is it's best option... Pentax lenses, 2 thumbs down from me, pentax's compatibility to cool ass lenses, 2 thumbs up, you got Leica R, M42, Cosina Voigts (whats left anyways), Zeiss, and the Schneider lenses, the gods of SLR manual focus can all be used on pentax...